Ruling Shuffling the Opponent's Deck

Celebi23

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
In light of recent events in Canada, I'll probably be shuffling all my opponents' decks at the LCQ. Two questions regarding this:

1) If, while I'm shuffling, I accidentally reveal a card in their deck and they call a judge, what is most likely going to be the penalty?

2) Can I ask a judge to shuffle the deck for me to avoid this issue completely?

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
1. I'm not sure if they cover anything in the Play! Pokemon TCG Rules or Penalty Guidelines for accidentally revealing cards from your opponent's deck when shuffling it other than I know that anybody should take care not to reveal anything or harm the cards themselves. Another Professor can elaborate more on this point.

2. You can always call over a Judge to shuffle your opponent's deck. Straight from the Rules:

If either player still does not feel that either deck is sufficiently randomized, or if a player wishes to not offer his or her deck to an opponent for randomization, a judge must be called over to shuffle the deck(s) in question. No player is allowed to shuffle or cut after the judge’s shuffle.

dmaster out.

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I'd consider accidentally revealing a card from either your deck or your opponent's deck Game Play Error Minor.

Penalty Guidelines said:
7.1.1. Minor
These errors have very little effect on game-play and can usually be fixed with little effort. In many cases, players should be given multiple starting penalties before escalating the penalty, and the maximum penalty given should be a Prize Card penalty.
Examples of Game-Play Error: Minor include:
 Drawing a card to your hand without showing it to your opponent when the card tells you to do so.
 Forgetting to discard a Supporter card after it has been played.
 Declaring an attack without having the proper Energy attached.
 Drawing an extra card.
 Forgetting to flip a coin for a Burned or Poisoned Pokémon in between turns.
 Inadvertently revealing the top card of your deck, or one of your Prize Cards.

This is a Tier 2 event so a warning would likely be the penalty you'd get the first time. Note that if you did this again later in the tournament, the penalty level may increase.

If you intentionally drop a card, then it is a whole different story that I'm not going to go into.~KA