Shuffling Methods

Alan

No Items. Not Ever.
Now before you think I'm taking about cheating, I am not. in fact, this is the opposite. So I'm pretty bad at shuffling and I don't want people to think I am cheating because I am so awful at shuffling. What are some ways to shuffle quickly that won't:
Reveal the cards to me.
Reveal the cards to my opponent.

Any help is appreciated :)

RE: Deck Shuffling Methods

It's almost impossible to shuffle without revealing some of the cards to yourself. You are always going to see the bottom card in nearly any shuffling method (except one).

Anyway, here's the different kinds of shuffling I've learned over the months:

Regular sideways card shuffle: If you know how to shuffle normal playing cards, it's literally exactly like that except you hold the cards sideways so you don't break your sleeves. Separate the deck into two piles and then bend the edges of each pile slightly and let them fall into each other.

Sleeve Shuffle: The best one that most people use. Hold your deck sideways (it's ok if you see the bottom card), take a pile off the top of the deck the hand that's not holding the deck and press the bottom edge of the pile into the rest of the deck. If you did it correctly the cards in the pile should fall into multiple places in the deck, shuffling it quite well. If you get good at this, you can do five or six in about ten seconds.

No-named shuffle: Take a small portion of the top of the deck and slide it into the middle. Make sure the portion isn't too big otherwise this method doesn't work very well. This can be done extremely fast also and it doesn't reveal cards in your deck (this is the one I mentioned earlier).

At the beginning of the game, you should do a pile shuffle by dealing your deck into 6-12 piles, then either shuffling those piles into each other or by simply stacking them on top of each other (shuffling them together is better if you have time).

Shuffling

How do you shuffle your deck? I generally sleeve shuffle, but I also pile shuffle before a game. I've seen some people riffle shuffling and it just scares the hell out of me. That must bend/damage your cards, right?

Anyways, here is where you can discuss and share tricks on shuffling. c:

RE: Shuffling

I power shuffle before every match. Maybe every two matches depending on if I'm late to set up or not.
I don't have a problem with riffle shuffling, and it is my preferred way of setting up. It does sometimes bend the cards a bit, but no severe damage is done (at least to mine).

Frost Mage said:
What's a power shuffle?

There might be another term for it, that's just what I hear it generally called.
Six piles, sorting the cards into the piles to de-clump them before shuffling?

Agh, so it's just a pile shuffle. I guess there are different names for it, like everything. At my first league challenge the other day, everyone who pile shuffled had 8 piles. Another thing I do is put down cards into random piles, not just going from left to right and keeping a consistent order, because like I've read, that's not shuffling, that's just reordering... I've done too much research on shuffling and it's a very bizarre thing.

Before I start a game I make either 6 or 10 piles of cards, then I put one by one, after I finished to make a pile, I the take piles of either 10 or 6 cards (depending on the number of piles) and join them in a random way (I obviously don't see the cards),(<<<I started doing this by a girl in my League) then I shuffle the deck in a strange way; I take some cards that are at the center of the deck and put some at the down part of the deck at some at the up side,I do this many times.

I hate riffle shuffling, you bend your cards! They are your money! Why would I bend my cards?! (Said in a no-person-reply way)

And we all (in my League) have a rule: If you bend my cards when shuffling my deck, I will do it, but even WORSE!

I've actually seen shuffling machines on sale on ebay for like, $7, I think? I'm wondering if they'd tamper the card's quality compared to hand-made shuffles, though...

Well, I start with pile shuffling and, basically "mini-cut" my Deck 3 or 4 times. That's the best I can personally do...

So I've started trying to side-shuffle the past few days (a riffle shuffle from the side, as to not break the sleeves), and I don't know, it just goes against my instinct. :( I'm so scared of hurting the cards, you know? Any tips on how to overcome my fear or why/why not that fear is justified?

I think it's not necessary to shuffle like that, you can grab cards at the center of your deck and then put then inside but separated, or do what I do.

And yes, I know your fear, and we have a big problem here: The Humidity and the weather, both are unpredictable since December until March. You may be wondering so what? Well, the weather and humidity changes, bend the cards and that's why Reverse Foil cards are very bent.

RE: Deck Shuffling Methods

Let them shuffle for you lol.

sig.jpg

I can't say I'm the best at shuffling myself. I never had a good grasp on regular shuffling, especially with sleeves that can be hard to grip sometimes.

I often find it better to pre-game, Pile Shuffle once or twice and then Sleeve Shuffle a few times, and lastly I do a cut myself so I know I get a good shuffle out of my deck. I often keep my deck in a certain order (based on my decklist) before I play any tournament or games in case there is ever a need for a deck check or I just want to make sure nothing is missing from my deck, so I always have to shuffle well. Haha.

After you finish shuffling, however, you can always offer for your opponent to cut the deck or shuffle if they do not feel it was sufficiently randomized. A judge may also be asked to shuffle it, but nothing further (including cuts and shuffles) may be done to the deck once the judge has finished.

Back