XY Shiny Pokémon Mechanics: Less Rare in X / Y

RE: Shiny Pokémon in X / Y: Less Rare & More Special

So what are people doing to find shiny pokemon, I haven't found one yet. I haven't complete the game and got to the Safari yet, due to not having time. I haven't been tipping and I don't know what chain fishing is ?.

Chain Fishing 101

1. Get a pokémon with the "Suction Cups" ability as your first party member slot. (It can be KOed as well!)
I personally choose Octillery.

2. Find a nice cosy spot near some rocks to fish by :) Make sure it's somewhere you like, because you CAN'T MOVE once started.

3. Cast your line!

4. If a regular pokemon run!

5. Rinse and repeat until you come across a shiny! Sometimes it takes a chain of 50, other times a chain of 3.

Good luck and have fun!

I've gotten 3x Shiny Clauncher, 1x Shiny Clawitzer and 1x Shiny Staryu from this method, with 2 days playing it.

I thought running destroys chain fishing? I thought I had to fight every Pokemon I get hooked.

and I was tipping people, then I went to the safari and I got a shiny Drifblim.... I was looking for a lampent xD
I have 2 shiny now :D

I tipped yesterday and got a shiny Piloswine, then tipped today and got a shiny Dedenne :)
My first two shinies that I actually caught myself and both found in the Friend Safari :D

i know this is not really the thread for it but i really wanna see unowns 3d look anyone know if friend safaris can have em or what

Finally, my 2 day hunt is over. I got a male shiny Espurr. My abra synchronizer didn't work, but hey, shiny meowstic is cool.

WalterREBoRN said:
Finally, my 2 day hunt is over. I got a male shiny Espurr. My abra synchronizer didn't work, but hey, shiny meowstic is cool.
Hehe, I'm sorry, I really shouldn't say this, it sounds condescending, but a 2 day hunt would be a blessing before X and Y. Just sort of funny to me...

The bottom line is that I hope that the shiny rate hasn't gone up outside of chain-fishing, Friend Safari, and perhaps tipping. There will always be easier ways to get shinies, but I want the base statistic to always be 1/8192.

Question, does anyone know if not reeling in your rod in time breaks your chain?

Just got my first shiny in X and Y! A shiny Clawitzer on a chain of freaking 2! Named it Zoidberg like someone said earlier. :3

Frost Mage said:
WalterREBoRN said:
Hehe, I'm sorry, I really shouldn't say this, it sounds condescending, but a 2 day hunt would be a blessing before X and Y. Just sort of funny to me...

The bottom line is that I hope that the shiny rate hasn't gone up outside of chain-fishing, Friend Safari, and perhaps tipping. There will always be easier ways to get shinies, but I want the base statistic to always be 1/8192.

Question, does anyone know if not reeling in your rod in time breaks your chain?

Yes it breaks it

Frost Mage said:

I don't know why the negative comment keeps coming from you, it sounded like you're REALLY irked by how people can find shinies more easily in X and Y, no offense.

And last time you said it's not about self-esteem, but then you want the rarity to not go down, why do you have to be so worried abut rarity if it's not for self-esteem?

I for one doesn't really care about the less rare part, since i don't really mind if people find a shiny that i find earlier in lesser time. Or i don't even mind if certain shiny form of pokemon is not so rare anymore, because i still have it and still feel it's special.

But when you worried about the rarity, it sounded like you don't want certain shiny pokemon you have to be so less rare, and in that case you said it as less special. This is a self-esteem problem the way i see it.

If you only care about beating the odds, you shouldn't even care about other people's way of beating that odds, period.

Caught a Shiny Absol in the safari, 31 IVs in HP, SpA and Spe with a Docile nature. Not bad given that I wasn't really hunting for one and hardly ever tip the waiters!

So, about getting the perfect shiny...

If you are breeding and have two parents with max IVs in all stats, then with Destiny Knot equiped the hatched Pokemon is always going to have at least 5 max IVs. The other parent holds an Everstone to guarantee the nature you want. All in all, it isn't hard at all to continue breeding amazing Pokemon once you have the right setup. There's also the hatching O-power if you ever get it.

My question is, what are people's experiences in hatching shinies? How many eggs are you typically going through to get one?

I have played Pokemon since Gold, and I have had 200+ game time on all the games, and after a week on Y my game time is 73 hours. I have never encountered a shiny Pokemon :( I would love of they lowered their rarity a bit, but not so much that they would be common. Maybe 1/3000 as someone said.

bacon said:
My question is, what are people's experiences in hatching shinies? How many eggs are you typically going through to get one?

I'm in the process of MM for a shiny charmander ( really want to see what shiny mega charizard X looks like!!) and I've hatched close to 90 eggs with nothing yet.. But this is my first time trying to hatch for a shiny so I don't really know what to expect or how long it will take.
My two parent pokemon in the day care have also grown 40 levels in the process :p

In other related news I caught a shiny Magmar whilst catching Braixens in the Safari! Happy days!!

TheTPCProductionz said:
How have people managed to get a female Charmander ?

Bred my male charizard with ditto and eventually got one :)
The odds aren't zero so it's got to happen eventually

I was lucky enough yesterday to get a second shiny this playthrough (my third ever), a shiny Pyroar! I had just beaten the game I went to the Friend Safari, wanting to see what was in them. I was in the very 1st Safari, and one of the first Pokémon I encountered was shiny Pyroar. I was so happy. :D

Last night I figured I'd start the task of filling up my 'Dex so I went on a catching spree. Started at Route 3, and within five minutes managed to find a shiny Azurill. Less than ten minutes later while fishing for Sharpedo I found a shiny Gyarados. (Within 3 to 5 casts - it's not like I was chain fishing, either.) These two add to the shiny Quagsire and shiny Clauncher I've already found in this game.

I'd like to blame it on luck but it does seem, at least from my perspective, that shiny Pokémon are at least a tiny bit easier to find (taking into account all of the other people who seem to have found them, and have had experiences similar to mine). Granted, then you have people like Jungletoad above who have been playing for years and still haven't found any, which makes me question my thinking. Part of me wouldn't be surprised if the odds haven't changed, but if that's the case I've had some pretty awesome luck.

Frost Mage said:
How are you so sure about that?

I am not. That is what the person who gave this information few posts ago said.

Back