• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Shining Genesect/Virizion/Venusaur

CaptZero

Aspiring Trainer
The old Virizion/ Genesect was one of my all time favorite decks (along with LandoBats, yay Buzzswole!). I therefore find it interesting that there seems to be a decent amount of synergy here again, along with Venusaur to really boost up the damage of Shining Genesect. The idea here is really to milk Virizion as long as possible. You'd like to start with it and from there keep using Max Elixir and Wrapped in Wind (all while moving the energy from Virizion to Shining Genesect with Energy Reload) to really bulk up your benched Genesect. Virizion's second attack, Pike, is also a pretty solid attack that only costs 2 Grass once Venusaur has hit the board.

Pokemon

4 x Genesect
2 x Venusaur
2 x Ivysuaur
2 x Bulbasaur
3 x Virizion
1 x Rayquaza
2 x Tapu Lele GX

With 16 Pokemon this deck should very rarely mulligan and you have a decent chance of starting out with Genesect or Virizion. I also put in one Rayquaza because for one energy with Venusaur up Ray can accelerate 2 additional energy onto the board (which will double thanks to Venusaur). This will help a ton with recovering energy in the later stages of the game. I'm running 2/2/2 Venusaur because I wanted to try cutting rare candies. I'm not rushing to get Genesect active with this deck anyway so I really feel like the extra deck space will benefit me in the long run.

Cards I would like to think about adding from futures sets are: Magearna from SM4+. This card card could allow me to put EXP Shares directly onto Genesect when I'm looking to preserve energy while allowing me to then move that EXP Share later when I want to put a Choice Band on said Genesect.

Item/Supporter/Stadium

4 x Professor Sycamore
4 x N
3 x Guzma
1 x Brigette
4 x Ultra Ball
2 x Revitalizer
4 x Max Elixir
3 x Choice Band
2 x EXP. Share
2 x Field Blower
1 x Super Rod
1 x Rescue Stretcher
1 x Switch

Cards I would like to think about adding from futures sets are: Counter Catcher seems like a very strong option considering this deck is on the slow side. I fully expect to go down a Prize or two early into the game and Counter Catcher could aid this deck in getting some nice reversals. I'm also considering Gladion for his ability to get important pieces of my Venusaur line out of Prize lock in a pinch.

Energy

12 x Grass Energy - Basic

Please give me your opinions! I'm considering running some variation on Genesect until Crimson Invasion at the very least!

kgamer7

Aspiring Trainer
i like the idea of no rare candy, it opens up 3-4 slots for more cards. have you thought about putting in a shaymin from shining legends? its first attack lets you shuffle and draw six. then it has revenge for its second attack (30 +90) with venusaur its only 1 energy cost for 120. Tapu Bulu is also a good tech so you can make use of a gx attack

CaptZero

Aspiring Trainer
I think it's a good concept, but fir types are pretty popular, with Turtonator and Volcanion.

Fire type decks are going to be taking one prize from you, so while the weakness is bad your actually trading better than they are if you can get the deck going.

i like the idea of no rare candy, it opens up 3-4 slots for more cards. have you thought about putting in a shaymin from shining legends? its first attack lets you shuffle and draw six. then it has revenge for its second attack (30 +90) with venusaur its only 1 energy cost for 120. Tapu Bulu is also a good tech so you can make use of a gx attack

Possibly one? I just don't think it'll be that helpful.

As for Bulu I'm really trying to keep the number of GX Pokemon in the deck very small. I want to be able to T1 Brigette though so I really need the Lele, but I think Bulu would be a liability over all.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
If the volcanion deck that just won a regionals is anything to go by it has four baby volcanion which lets it match the prize trade while at the same time seti v up the bench. Also they could just Guzma the venasuar and now you can't one shot the two prizers

superdan51

Make Metagross-GX Great!
Ive been testing this deck quite a bit on PTCGO and its underwhelming. Its not like bulu that requires just one energy attachement + Vikavolt to hit up to 210. This needs 3 Energy with little to no chance of survival each turn, Venusuar, and Choice band to hit just 200. On paper its great, it only loses one prize, and it hits hard. That is if you have the energy attached which can actually take some work, and if you can try to avoid getting one hit. It becomes extremely difficult to keep this up all match, this deck would have been amazing had there been no way to knock tools off and ability lock wasnt a thing. This deck needs EXP share. Losing 3 energy every turn and possibly not one hitting becomes a burden. It just cant keep up. It needs 4 energy to get a KO on the best Meta deck, how can you stream that? With no way to guarantee a KO and not trading 2 prizes each time (Genesect + Ray) the deck doesnt work. Maybe back in the time of big basics that never had more than 180 HP this would have been great. Too bad, I really wanted to see it thrive.

CaptZero

Aspiring Trainer
Ive been testing this deck quite a bit on PTCGO and its underwhelming. Its not like bulu that requires just one energy attachement + Vikavolt to hit up to 210. This needs 3 Energy with little to no chance of survival each turn, Venusuar, and Choice band to hit just 200. On paper its great, it only loses one prize, and it hits hard. That is if you have the energy attached which can actually take some work, and if you can try to avoid getting one hit. It becomes extremely difficult to keep this up all match, this deck would have been amazing had there been no way to knock tools off and ability lock wasnt a thing. This deck needs EXP share. Losing 3 energy every turn and possibly not one hitting becomes a burden. It just cant keep up. It needs 4 energy to get a KO on the best Meta deck, how can you stream that? With no way to guarantee a KO and not trading 2 prizes each time (Genesect + Ray) the deck doesnt work. Maybe back in the time of big basics that never had more than 180 HP this would have been great. Too bad, I really wanted to see it thrive.

I get the feeling that you didn't really look at the deck list and just posted your general feelings about Shining Genesect as a whole, which is fine you're entitled to your opinions but I'm looking for commentary on my list, not the overall usefulness of the archetype. I also happen to straight up disagree. As long as you can keep the energy live on the board I don't feel like you're losing much in terms of resources by losing a Genesect every turn. Genesects can relocate energy which means that you can Max Elixir onto the bench and still get energy live onto the active. Yes this deck NEEDS EXP. Share and with field blower running around that's certainly a concern, but thankfully there's actually been an overall decrease in the number of Field Blowers most decks are running. Rayquaza also isn't the star of this deck he's just a late game enabler. I'm focusing my efforts on Virizion and trying to see if that will give me the acceleration needed when combined with Max Elixirs.

superdan51

Make Metagross-GX Great!
I get the feeling that you didn't really look at the deck list and just posted your general feelings about Shining Genesect as a whole, which is fine you're entitled to your opinions but I'm looking for commentary on my list, not the overall usefulness of the archetype. I also happen to straight up disagree. As long as you can keep the energy live on the board I don't feel like you're losing much in terms of resources by losing a Genesect every turn. Genesects can relocate energy which means that you can Max Elixir onto the bench and still get energy live onto the active. Yes this deck NEEDS EXP. Share and with field blower running around that's certainly a concern, but thankfully there's actually been an overall decrease in the number of Field Blowers most decks are running. Rayquaza also isn't the star of this deck he's just a late game enabler. I'm focusing my efforts on Virizion and trying to see if that will give me the acceleration needed when combined with Max Elixirs.
Oh no, I looked at your list, its very close to what I run apart from a few changes. I ran 3 Float to make sure that if Venusuar got locked into the active I wouldnt have to rely on Guzma or in your case the one switch. I ran Rare Candy to run it kind of like the VikaBulu. The last difference I did make was running Lurantis GX. Its a little safer and can actually wall a few turn 1/2/3 attacks such as a turn 2 First Impression, and other Bulu Shenanigans. I ran into a lot of Goli which just destroys Virizion, and I never found that it stayed safe long enough to move the energy back around. I found Lurantis to also be a GX attack that can do some real damage (One shot everything with 3 energy).

Heres my list for reference:
****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 17

* 3 Bulbasaur SLG 1
* 1 Ivysaur SLG 2
* 3 Venusaur SLG 3
* 2 Fomantis SUM 14
* 2 Lurantis-GX SUM 138
* 3 Shining Genesect SLG 9
* 3 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 3 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Super Rod BKT 149
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Brigette BKT 134
* 4 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 3 Float Stone PLF 99
* 2 Field Blower GRI 163
* 4 N NVI 101
* 4 Ultra Ball DEX 102
* 3 Rare Candy SUM 129

##Energy - 11

* 11 Grass Energy GEN 75

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I also need to let you know that many of the top decks, especially Gardy, Metagross, Bulu are running 3-4 Field Blower. Every Garb Variant will also run 4 Blower. There is very few decks that will only run two, I would actually make that change here if I had more space to work with. It gets extremely crippled by Garbotoxin. You can absolutely keep working at it, I hope it brings you more success than it brought me. I just came here to tell you not to get your hopes too high that you'll be competing with tier 1 decks. You wont. The deck has too many weaknesses and a damage cap that gets wiped whenever anything that has more than 200 hp comes into the field. You can take whatever I say with a grain of salt, it is PTCGO and not irl which means wonky lists and stuff can just mess your matches up in weird ways. I just dont find it quick enough to compete with anything tier 1 or even two. Given its weird attack cost, and the fact that you completely rely on Venusuar using even the two energy attack isnt that great. Ive been playing the deck since the release of SLG and the energy never stays. One gets knocked out and its a slippery slope from there. Lets not even mention the fact that if Venusuar gets knocked out and there isnt a backup youre done. This is all from testing, this isnt my opinion. I hoped it was gonna be great, you can find it on here and the pkmntcg subreddit. It didnt live up to the hype. 4 energy, choice band and Suar knock out most tier 1 threats. That has to be done by turn 2/3, that means I have to on average use half of my max elixirs on just one mon to knock out one of their Stage twos to just get KOd back by their next stage two, or even a Lele. Its too fragile for its own good. It cant afford to over extend but most of the time I find myself having to, to try to keep up. Trying to play the two shot game isnt even a thing. 140 for two is pretty good! The issue comes down to the fact that why play a two shot game when its just gonna cost you two prizes. Its all down to that, that is why I said that the energy almost never stays. I cant rely on two shots because then I rely on them not taking a Lele KO so I dont lose the prize trade. I cant afford to over extend because I risk losing too many resources on the next turn.

You wanted opinions on your deck and I gave you my opinions. Its going to run fine, but I wanted to warn you ahead of time that it wont compete with the top tiers. If you want to discuss this further I have no problem with that, I have close to 150 matches with the deck already, im ready to talk about it.

EvolutionaryFault

Aspiring Trainer
@superdan51
PLEASE go into detail on your experiences with this deck!

I've got 4/4/4/4 venusaur line/genesect already on order and in the mail, so let's just say I'm invested. And I can't find tons about it online yet

Would wishful baton help to keep energy on the table? Maybe Eco arm (I think) to recycle tools?
Field blower still hurts, but a baton fully charges (double charges with 'saur) a genesect.

Can we item lock somehow (maybe?) to keep field blowers down?

Why fromantis? No love for the new rayquaza?

Between the two of you guys, how do we feel about the rare candies?

Thanks!!!

(Edit spelling)