Shiftry from ‘Lost Abyss’!

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
Shiftry and its evolution line were revealed from the Japanese set Lost Abyss, which releases in Japan on July 15th. We should see most of the cards from this set become part of our Lost Origin set in September.
Seedot – Grass – HP50
Basic Pokemon
[G] Absorb: 10 damage. Heal 10 damage from this Pokemon.
Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

Nuzleaf – Grass – HP80
Stage 1...

Continue reading...

Seedot/Nuzleaf/Shiftry - how to get this T1 is the problem. A Self-Destruct atk that does KO Vs for a single energy. 2/2/3-4

It's actually not bad, it can't get counter-KO'd, the investment is actually quite low and it boosts the all-important LZ numbers. There might be some fun decks that utilize it.

This is not a self destruct attack. This is a hit and run card. Put up a galarian cursola, miltank, wailord v (for tank), arceus vstar (for tank), snorlax from pokemon go etc.

Overall, I think this might be the greatest power/damage per energy/and workable stage 2 (non gx) sence greninja. If we dismiss safeguard mons and intel.

Should see some play. The question is what to do after u have used 4 shiftry. Quick shootings and belt might be able to give u 2 prizes per shiftry. But they can put up 1 prizers and then u might not have resources for enough KOs.

I think radiant charizard could be a great finisher. This can be your 2-3 first attacks and then finnish of with zard.

No matter what, inteleon is the engine.

4/5 is my grade.
Might be a bit inconsistent, but with intel u should be fast enough. 210 before damage modifyers are great. Whatever you want to pivot into, you can use it in the early game as well if you want to slow the game down. Great dmg output.

It's actually not bad, it can't get counter-KO'd, the investment is actually quite low and it boosts the all-important LZ numbers. There might be some fun decks that utilize it.
Like what I can say, if you can T1 it. That's what Stage 2s reason why they havent made any success in any major tournaments, they lack speed. Stage 2s normally slow, even with Rare Candy. Rare Candy won't help you most of the time since it is most likely discarded a couple of copies or prized early-game. That's a reason why Inteleon is an exemption, because it has Drizzile. Drizzile gives speed to your decks, that a normal stage 2 decks don't have. Inteleon is just a toppings to your deck. Ludicolo in Suicune decks do run Rare Candy, but as a tech and not all the time it mostly need every game, Suicune V can just normally hit the numbers anyway. Ludi was there if it wants to get rid of VSTAR/VMAX on its path. Plus the deck was played with Inteleon, which what I said, gives speed to your decks with Drizzile.

This is not a self destruct attack. This is a hit and run card. Put up a galarian cursola, miltank, wailord v (for tank), arceus vstar (for tank), snorlax from pokemon go etc.

Overall, I think this might be the greatest power/damage per energy/and workable stage 2 (non gx) sence greninja. If we dismiss safeguard mons and intel.

Should see some play. The question is what to do after u have used 4 shiftry. Quick shootings and belt might be able to give u 2 prizes per shiftry. But they can put up 1 prizers and then u might not have resources for enough KOs.

I think radiant charizard could be a great finisher. This can be your 2-3 first attacks and then finnish of with zard.

No matter what, inteleon is the engine.

4/5 is my grade.
Might be a bit inconsistent, but with intel u should be fast enough. 210 before damage modifyers are great. Whatever you want to pivot into, you can use it in the early game as well if you want to slow the game down. Great dmg output.
Yeah, even with Inteleon, the deck consistency is the main problem, since your deck is loaded with Stage 2s, and no room for consistentcy cards early game.

Also, Shiftry is still a self-destruct attacker since you technically KO yourself to do damage, and discarded rightafter.

A definition of a hit-and-run card is leaving out the active spot, in order to be used later on. Like Mienshao FFI, Aero Turn scoops up Mienshao back to your hand, making it leaving the Active Spot and reuse later on. Same thing with "U-Turn" attacks. Switching out to the bench, making it usable later. This Shiftry's atk is "Self-Destruct" since it KOs itself, and discarded after the attack. Except this time, its stayed discarded until the rest of the game.

Last edited:
Like what I can say, if you can T1 it. That's what Stage 2s reason why they havent made any success in any major tournaments, they lack speed.
That's just part of the issue. Stage 2s aren't playable, because you invest multiple cards and energies into a Pokemon that ultimately has less stats than a powercreeped V card and gets knocked out in one attack. Shiftry cannot get KO'd, because it disappears immediately after attacking. That by itself wouldn't be anything to write home about, but since Lost Zone already has some ridiculous cards available, Shiftry becomes both a damage dealer and an engine. You shouldn't care about committing resources to a Shiftry, if a few turns later you'll be attaching energies for free and doing dumb stuff.
Not saying this is some guaranteed Tier 1, but for sure not something to dismiss outright as unplayable.

That's just part of the issue. Stage 2s aren't playable, because you invest multiple cards and energies into a Pokemon that ultimately has less stats than a powercreeped V card and gets knocked out in one attack. Shiftry cannot get KO'd, because it disappears immediately after attacking. That by itself wouldn't be anything to write home about, but since Lost Zone already has some ridiculous cards available, Shiftry becomes both a damage dealer and an engine. You shouldn't care about committing resources to a Shiftry, if a few turns later you'll be attaching energies for free and doing dumb stuff.
Not saying this is some guaranteed Tier 1, but for sure not something to dismiss outright as unplayable.
agreed, this may not be instant tier 0 material, but it is still very good. interesting design space, and there are ways to make it work. It even attacks for G, so it has quite solid synergy with lost march Jumpluff. Definitely something to keep an eye out for. With a single high HP /safeguard mon to pivot into, you can hit for 210, followed by at least 100 from a lost march attack. That's without any setup or other lost zone shenanigans. Its on color, and its possible (like, theoretically possible) by turn 2.

Yeah, even with Inteleon, the deck consistency is the main problem, since your deck is loaded with Stage 2s, and no room for consistentcy cards early game.

Also, Shiftry is still a self-destruct attacker since you technically KO yourself to do damage, and discarded rightafter.
actually, this should be a fairly consistent deck. probably on the same consistency level of turbo dialga.

2 DISCLAIMERS
- you will have to cut 5 cards from these 65 cards
- I built this in like 15 min, probably exist some optimising

there are some cards here that is "proxy" for a card that pokégear doesn´t have yet;

* mars=Arezu - Search your deck for up to 3 Evolution Pokemon that don’t have a Rule Box, reveal them, and put them into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck.

* charizard=radiant charizard

*shiftry = the new shiftry (VIV Nuzleaf anf VIV Seedot is better than the new guys)

The fact your opponent wouldn't get a prize card when Shiftry bails is awesome. It has the damage of the Self-Destruct attack, but it doesn't actually do that damage to itself. It just gets removed from play after. Let's not forget it has a built in way to bring up sitting duck pokémon as well, if need be, to be hit with 210 next turn.

Although, correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesn't synergize as well with Radiant Charizard as it would seen given that those Shiftry bailing doesn't force your opponents to draw prizes to reduce its attack cost.

Seedot 5/10 It can deal damage and heal at the same time
Nuzleaf 4/10 sends Pokémon back to bench
Shiftry 1/10 pointless
you don't know this yet. This might be a really good card if, say, you have an attack that counts Pokémon in the Lost Zone, doing 210 damage and then sending the entire family to the lost zone could be awesome.

Let's take a minute to appreciate that Nuzleaf has the same HP and Retreat Cost as Bayleef from Neo Genesis.

You know what's better than powercreep? only a quarter of the game powercreeping

Back