Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
More cards have been revealed from January’s Star Birth, which will release in February as Brilliant Stars! Thanks goes to Toine L. and Franco T. for the translations!
Turtwig – Grass – HP80
Basic Pokemon
[G] Bite: 10 damage.
[G][C] Headbutt Bounce: 20 damage.
Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

Grotle – Grass – HP100
Stage 1 – Evolves from Turtwig
Ability: Sunlit Shell
Once during your turn, you may search your deck for a [G] Pokémon, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck.
[G][C][C] Razor Leaf: 50 damage.
Weakness: Fire...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

ForeverRanger91

Aspiring Trainer
It is workable in any Water deck that runs Frosmoth or Melony. Lapras VMax is going to love Lumineon V's attack.

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
I don't think that's their thought process when they design the cards. If they didn't want a card to be expensive, they would just put it in a promo box or something.
And they way they've been doing lately, they may yet.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
I feel like people are missing the forest for the trees here. Tapu Lele was much stronger in a far slower format where two Energy Drive attacks would be enough to 2HKO most targets, and Lumineon's attack is only there to allow for its ability to be re-used or remove it as a gust target. If your deck already has the chance to use its attack, only do so if it's actually going to help you achieve your win condition. As fun as hit & run decks are, there's too many moving pieces here and the format is too fast. The selling point is obviously the fact that Wonder Tag is back.

It is also fairly obvious that this competes in both bench space and deckspace with Inteleon. I wonder if this + Mew will become the new consistency engine - much more splashable, Mew searches items while Lumineon searches supporters - that doesn't use up as much deckspace as Inteleon does, at the cost of not searching what you want on demand. The fact that Ultra Ball is back also massively helps as it's an additional search alongside Quick Ball.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
Never said it wouldn't, just that now there's the option to consistently search for supporters while not using Shady Dealings. Not being able to search supporters was Mew's main drawback, but now you can fit Lumineon in your deck instead of the 4 Pokegears you were likely using if playing Mew.

ZestyGan

Aspiring Trainer
So Lumineon, Charizard and Whimsicott all get Vs, and even Vstars, instead of the Sinnoh starters? They genuinely do not care about any starter other than charizard. If you don't believe me, the last Infernape card was printed in Forbidden Light. Besides that the Empoleon seems really cool.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
Calm down. Star Birth is the "Legends" promotion set, hence Arceus being the star of the set. The Sinnoh Starters already have their baby forms here, and they all are viable to some extent, so they are already in mind for Creatures. The japanese march sets are Space Juggler and Time Gazer, so they just moved their schedule around. We will probably see the V starters and Dialga/Palkia V in those sets.

The only shame in all this is that VMAX seems to have been already discarded, and we never got to see Melmetal, Machamp and Hatterene VMAX. Their best hope is getting a VStar that references their Gigantamax formes now...

beatbox2000

Aspiring Trainer
So Lumineon, Charizard and Whimsicott all get Vs, and even Vstars, instead of the Sinnoh starters? They genuinely do not care about any starter other than charizard. If you don't believe me, the last Infernape card was printed in Forbidden Light. Besides that the Empoleon seems really cool.
Well Empoleon was one of the first alternate arts at least.

And Lumineon is part of Gen 4. Whimsicott is the weird one.

They weren't going to give the starters Vs because then the two pre-evos wouldn't be needed in the set.

Serperior and Chesnaught I think are still in XY lol.

ZestyGan

Aspiring Trainer
Well Empoleon was one of the first alternate arts at least.

And Lumineon is part of Gen 4. Whimsicott is the weird one.

They weren't going to give the starters Vs because then the two pre-evos wouldn't be needed in the set.

Serperior and Chesnaught I think are still in XY lol.
Chesnaught makes sense as to why he's not been printer since XY but, like... Serperior is one or the most popular gen 5 Pokemon? At least it seems like it due to how much gen 5 fans use it. Poor guy, he just wanted to be a regal snake but Megas and the TCG said no :(

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Lumineon V - What's better than Tapu Lele is in Expanded we have Dive Ball. (C'mon, I know P has Fog Crystal, I get it.) In Standard.... Ultra Ball will do. 5 Geodudes. Pretty weird thst this ability was reprinted on a forgotten Pokemon.

Turtwig/Grotle/Torterra - Ehh?! Not impressed. 3/3/3

Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape - Fire types has weak energy accel. We only have Magma Basin and Kindler and that's it. Plus, common stage 2 issue, you know what it is. 3/3/4

Piplup/Monferno/Empoleon - draw card, way to snipe Sobbles (cries in Sobble), techable card. 3/3/5

Cynthia's Aspiration - Compare this to Bruno. 4

beatbox2000

Aspiring Trainer
Calm down. Star Birth is the "Legends" promotion set, hence Arceus being the star of the set. The Sinnoh Starters already have their baby forms here, and they all are viable to some extent, so they are already in mind for Creatures. The japanese march sets are Space Juggler and Time Gazer, so they just moved their schedule around. We will probably see the V starters and Dialga/Palkia V in those sets.

The only shame in all this is that VMAX seems to have been already discarded, and we never got to see Melmetal, Machamp and Hatterene VMAX. Their best hope is getting a VStar that references their Gigantamax formes now...

They really should have given Hatterene and Machamp ones so that Bea & Bede could get their eventual CHR with VMAX arts in. No idea why they always do this.

Melmetal could've replaced Aggron that just released.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
I feel like the only reason we didn't get Machamp VMAX was because they didn't want anything to possibly steal the Urshifu's thunder post-Battle Styles. Something similar can be said about Hatterene possibly stepping on the toes of Shadow Rider Calyrex VMAX. Melmetal is the only one that I can't find a good reason for its absence. Melmetal had a card back in Darkness Ablaze, so what stopped them from simply printing it as a promo VMAX? No idea