Writing Seven Days of Terror

RE: Seven Days of Terror (not a new chapter, but still)

Huzzah! Someone who posted a valid opinion and not spam! ^o^

Thanks for sticking around to the end. I'm glad you liked it.

To any of you guys who still read this and are just waiting for chapter 12... it's coming, albeit very slowly.

Hey y'all. Just wanted to let you guys know that chapter 12 is going to be pretty short. So short, in fact, chapter 13 may serve as an epilogue of sorts.

So this story that took five years to finish (lol) is going to end on a short note. ;D

I really need to re-read this properly at some time. lol
It's been such a long time that I don't really remember a lot of it. xp

I don't mind that it's ending soon.. or that chapter 12 will be short. =p

But you are writing more after seven days is over, right? D:

I'm glad to hear that chapter 12 will be coming soon! :D
This is easily one of the best fanfictions I have ever read. :O

Hmm, I hope this next chapter eases me in to remember the story. It was just so long to finish. x_x

dmaster out.

Staraptor: I have another big story planned but it's not likely it'll be started for a very long time.

Man, we need spoiler tags.

For those of you who have forgotten, here's a (slightly wordy) recap of the entire story. It has spoilers through chapter 11, so if you haven't read it, you probably shouldn't read the rest of this post.

Giovanni is crying because Ash Ketchum owns him all day long, so he assigns tells Jessie and James to kill him. Giovanni disguises his plan as a vacation for Ash and his friends, hoping the Team Rocket we all know and love will do them all in, killing five or six birds with one stone. Little does Jessie and James know that Giovanni has secretly planned their demise as well.

Convinced by his family that nothing could POSSIBLY go wrong (despite not being able to bring their Pokemon), Ash agrees to go on this vacation to Giovanni's private island retreat. Brock, Tracey, May, and Max all join up right away, and after a bit of begging (and eluding the police), Misty comes as well.

Meanwhile, Jessie, James, and Meowth (who they smuggled in one of their suitcases) have been familiarizing themselves with Giovanni's island home. They meet a mysterious girl named Shelly who claims to be robbing Boss Rocket blind and living the good life while Giovanni's away. Shelly and Jessie quickly become friends, and they begin spending all their time together.

James begins to get suspicious of Giovanni's true motives. Jessie initially dismisses it as paranoia, but James eventually convinces her that everything isn't all roses.

Soon enough, Ash and friends arrive at the mansion. Ash is especially suspicious of Shelly, unwilling to accept her claim that she's a treasure hunter at face value.

During the first night after the arrival of Ash and his friends, Jessie wakes up from a terrible nightmare, and it is revealed that these nightmares have been occurring for the past several nights. Shelly comforts her and Jessie tells Shelly that she and James have decided to abandon Giovanni's mission. Shelly (who is later revealed to have been hired by Giovanni to dispose of Team Rocket) calls Giovanni and tells him about Team Rocket's betrayal, and Giovanni calls Jessie in an attempt to win her back. With promises of money and lies about James, he succeeds.

James becomes increasingly worried now that Jessie has started to actively avoid him. He has little time to wonder, however, as Ash bursts through the front door holding a dying Misty in his arms. He claims they were attacked by a Pokemon. Using his knowledge of medicine and some of Giovanni's supplies, James manages to save Misty's life.

It is then learned that May has gone missing. While the men venture out to search for her, it is learned that she is actually in the basement, being brutalized by a disguised Shelly and three of her Pokemon: Luxray, Mr. Mime, and Volbeat.

Meanwhile, James informs Ash that it was probably a Weavile that attacked them, based on Ash's description. Finding no sign of it, they head back to the mansion, where Max tells them that something happened to May, and Misty is talking to her. Overjoyed that Misty is finally awake, Ash rushes to see her, but he is turned away by the two girls.

Later that night, Ash calls a meeting and brings everyone up to speed on the situation, and also informs the crew that May has lost her sight. With a warning to be extra careful, everyone retires for the evening.

A few hours later, Jessie wakes from one of her nightmares and decides to start killing. After being told by Shelly not to kill May, and not finding it in her heart to kill someone as young as Max, she heads into Misty's room. After a moment of hesitation, Jessie brings down her blade on the sleeping girl and kills her.

After discovering Misty has been killed, Ash decides he has had enough and attempts to call home, but the phone signal has been jammed by an unknown source. Furious, Ash leaves alone in a huff.

James pulls Jessie aside in private and she confronts him about the things Giovanni has told her. James convinces her that he really is on her side, and she admits to him that she murdered Misty. James comes up with a plan to escape and leave Shelly stranded.

Meanwhile, Shelly has decided to take it upon herself to do Team Rocket's job for them. Using a second Weavile, she murders Meowth. When she calls Giovanni to tell him, the signal is lost due to interference from her Magnezone, in position above the mansion.

During this time, the gang has a makeshift burial service for Misty, and Ash continues to ponder the identity of the perpetrator. They spot the Magnezone and Max surmises that it is the cause of the signal jam. Ash startles it and Magnezone attacks, nearly frying Ash with a powerful electric blast. They scramble inside and Ash instructs everyone to find Shelly; Ash now believes her to be Misty's killer. When Team Rocket appears, Jessie tells Ash that Shelly is most likely at the huge waterfall on the island, unaware that Shelly has taken matters into her own hands.

Ash, Brock, and Tracey head out in search of Shelly and Meowth, and Jessie and James go about their own business, leaving May and Max alone. Suddenly, May remembers an important piece of information and rushes to inform Ash. Max stops her, reminding her of the powerful Pokemon above their heads, and they slip outside silently.

Max spots an injured Pokemon and rushes to tend to it. When he turns to his sister, he spots Shelly atop a green Mamoswine, preparing an Ice Beam attack. He pushes her out of the way and is instead hit with the blast, freezing his feet to the ground. As Max shouts a warning that Shelly is indeed behind everything, the rest of his body is frozen by the attack, leaving Max as nothing more but a popsicle.

Shelly reveals to May that she was the one who attacked her, and then Mamoswine crushes Max's frozen body underneath his weight, killing him. She knocks May out and orders Weavile to take her into the forest and kill her.

At the waterfall, Ash, Brock, and Tracey come under attack by Shelly's Luxray. The three manage to kill it, but not after the three sustain minor injuries. They also discover that Meowth was indeed murdered here and they rush back to the mansion, realizing that May and Max are in danger.

Weavile drags May deep into the forest, but has not killed her, as he's decided to rebel against Shelly and Giovanni. After a small breakthrough in communication a la Meowth, Weavile rushes off to find Ash and bring him to May.

He finds Ash, Brock, and Tracey en route to the mansion when Ash spots Weavile. Thinking that Weavile was the one that attacked Misty (in reality, it was his brother, a second Weavile), Ash chases him and is eventually led back to May, who tells Ash about her communication experience. After a brief display of power, Ash is convinced that Weavile is on his side. They all head back to the mansion.

During this whole ordeal, Jessie and James have been relaxing in Giovanni's pool. Jessie decides to head to the sauna to unwind, and James opts to stay behind. Jessie spots Shelly already in the sauna when she arrives, and Shelly tells her that she's already killed both kids from Hoenn. Jessie informs Shelly that she and James have patched things up, and the two plan on running away together. Shelly sends a signal to her Mr. Mime, hidden behind an invisible wall, and the Pokemon immobilizes Jessie. After a brief exchange of words between the two humans, Mr. Mime snaps Jessie's neck and kills her. Shelly sends Mr. Mime with Mamoswine to give Jessie a proper burial and, with her remaining Pokemon, wait outside for everyone else to get back.

Mr. Mime and Mamoswine come back just as everyone else does, and Shelly reveals her true intentions to everyone. She orders all of her Pokemon to attack. May is the first target; Magnezone unleashes all of its pent up energy in a horrific Thunder attack that kills her instantly. Ash carries her into the forest, praying that she is still alive. Mr. Mime hits Tracey with a Swagger attack, causing him to turn on Brock and beat him relentlessly.

Weavile lunges at Magnezone and scores a critical hit Focus Punch that knocks Magnezone out of commission. He goes after Mr. Mime next, killing it with a powerful Night Slash to the throat.

Realizing that she is actually losing this fight, Shelly makes an attempt to flee, finally ordering Mamoswine to attack Weavile. Weavile's blinding speed trumps Mamoswine's intense power, and it isn't until Volbeat intervenes with some super effective attacks that Weavile begins to have trouble. He starts focusing his attacks on Volbeat, but in his weakened state, he can't score a hit. In a last ditch effort, he recalls his training with Giovanni and fires an attack directly at Shelly before fainting from his injuries. Not wanting to see his master injured, Volbeat intercepts the attack with his body and becomes frozen.

Ash sees Tracey beating Brock up and tackles Tracey off of him. He comes back to his senses and is horrified to learn of his actions. When Ash rushes back to May's aid, he realizes that she has died and swears vengeance. He storms into the clearing where the battle took place as Shelly recalled Magnezone and Mamoswine back into their Poke Balls. He rushes at her in a rage, completely missing the mark as she easily evades his lunges.

Seeing James in the front door, Ash gets Shelly to openly admit that she perpetrated the murders of his friends and Jessie. Hearing this, James stabs Shelly in the back, forcing her to the ground. When she refuses to reveal where she buried Jessie, James cuts her throat, and Shelly dies.

Remembering that Shelly had told Ash about Jessie's last request, Ash searches Shelly's body and finds two letters. One is addressed to him, and the other is addressed to James. In Ash's letter, Jessie reveals that she had been the one who killed Misty, and she had also planned on killing herself to atone for it.

After discovering that Brock has survived his beating, Ash checks up on Weavile, who is severely injured, but still alive. Ash steals Weavile's Poke Ball and puts him back inside. The four men then head back into the mansion to gather their things and escape the island once and for all.

Chapter 12 has about 2300 words right now. ;D

Thanks a ton for the refresher, PMJ. One thing to note, however...

PMJ said:
Using is knowledge of medicine and some of Giovanni's supplies,

Too bad Firefox/Word didn't catch that lol.

dmaster out.

I have no idea what you're talking about. :O

RE: Seven Days of Terror (chapter 12 is go)

http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=27772&pid=1504950

this is the real chapter 12

Great chapter, as always!
Wow, I can't believe that it's finally almost over. I can't wait to see how this is going to end.

^Indeed. I hope they get their vengeance. :eek:

Also, I loved the idea of the starmies. I take it they're shinies, yeah?

Yes, that's correct.

RE: Seven Days of Terror

status report

As very few of you know, I haven't written a single word of chapter 13.

The reasons for this are many. First and foremost, I no longer like this fic. After re-reading it from the beginning, I found so many errors and inconsistencies (including the logical ones Newdude pointed out in his almost-review) that it's mind-blowing that you all have stuck with it for this long. After a few writing competitions, it's clear that a few of you praised this story because my name is pink, not because it's that great a story.

That said, I thank those of you brave enough to get through chapter 12 and still ask that I finish the story. This is my very first attempt at serious fan fiction, so for it to be received so well means a lot to me.

"Well PMJ, what happened? Why don't you like this story anymore?"

The answer to this question is simple - I killed May. Out of all the stupid mistakes I made when writing this story (and there are a lot of them), killing off May was far and away the biggest. Why? Because she was the last girl. What does that have to do with anything? I'll explain.

A while back, bacon guessed that Ash and May would be the only ones alive at the end. I thought it was a random guess (and perhaps it was), but I realized there was a reason bacon predicted that - logically, May should have survived because she isn't a villain and is the only one who hasn't done something worth dying for.

Keeping May alive would have opened so many possible situations - having her live on without her brother or eyesight would have made a much better story than simply killing her off.

It also would have provided some means of a happy ending for Ash, enabling him to get on with his life despite losing Misty. Now that she's dead (and Ash isn't gay), the story will end on a low note no matter what I do.

Every time I want to write, I keep kicking myself for bringing back Brock instead of May. As far as this story goes, Brock is a total nobody. I put May through so much turmoil and hardship, having her get through it all would have been much happier for her (and the reader). Now that she's dead...

You get the idea.

"Okay. But you said you were gonna finish!!"

Yes, I did, and I still am. The main reason I'm posting this is to confirm that yes, I am going to finish this story. There are two reasons why:

1) I said I would
2) There's only one chapter left.

That said, I still cannot get over how dumb I was to kill May. This story is a shining example of how unbelievably important it is to have an outline and a plan before you type the very first word of the very first chapter. Writing as you go is NOT A GOOD IDEA.

I will finish this story, but let me be honest here. Writing Seven Days of Terror has become a chore. It will probably take a long time to do. Once it's done, I will let this story die and life will go on; I will feel content that I actually finished a story, no matter how much I screwed up when doing it.

If I ever start a second fic, I promise you all that it will have all of the awesome and none of the gayness that this fic has.

Well... what can I say?

I for one did not like this story just because you are pink (lol). Or because it was long (always something I like).

I like this story because it gives something I really cannot achieve myself to anywhere near the same degree; it gives text that flows really well and demands to be read because it is so well put together. I make no excuses when I say that your english skills are much better than mine, even if you are modest about it. Simply put, in terms of actual description, my story was NOTHING compared to this. I could do action nicely, and I made a stab into description, but in all honesty the way you developed most of this really got me going with my own fic... and for that I am thankful.

I'm happy that you've been able to look at this again without rose-tinted glasses on though; reflection is perhaps the best way to learn in writing, and I think to criticise yourself in that manner takes a lot of courage. Yes, courage. People are naturally afraid of admitting their own flaws, and this is an admirable trait for you to show. Again, I commend you for that, as it has the potential to serve as an inspiration to ALL fic writers here.

I will most definitely look forward to the end of this, even if it isn't as good as what you might have hoped for in the end.

I actually set aside about two hours earlier today to reacquaint myself with this story (translation, finally reading it). I'm really at a loss for words, and at the risk of sounding cliche, I'm... saddened that this story is coming to an end. It's been a good run definitely. I remember when you first posted this story, I loaded the page, and wondered why it was so long. Oh, how far we have come. After becoming a sort of meme for PokéBeach, 27772 is finally almost finished.

I have a feeling the end of this story will exceed our wildest expectations, but at the same time, will leave us wanting more. I look forward to the last chapter, and on the same note, your next fanfic.

So, after this over-exaggerated post, hopefully will come the last chapter. Don't let us down! :eek:

I'll admit, I got linked here, saw the length and got scared off. Once I saw that it was actually well written, (unlike most stories on here), the story was actually compelling. The story was popular because you're a Super Mod, but also because you are a good storyteller, and you doubt yourself on that. The only thing this needed was a plan to how you were going to write it. That being said, I still haven't read the latest chapter, but I'll probably read it soon. ;p

dmaster out.

i like this thing. i really do hope you continue, i started reading this in the summer and i've been waiting for the last chapters for a while. great fanfic or whatever

PMJ said:
status report

As very few of you know, I haven't written a single word of chapter 13.

The reasons for this are many. First and foremost, I no longer like this fic...

I understand totally. But I have to agree with gamercal--you being pink had nothing to do with me liking this story. I didn't know diddly about you until I saw this story, and I still think it's very, very good. Sure, it could use some "polish," but the basics--the storytelling, the characters and their emotions--are there, and are damn good.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Flaws always seem WAY bigger to the author than they do to anyone else. But building fiction is like building houses--it doesn't matter if the surface isn't perfect, if the structure is solid. And this is.

And for what it's worth, I think you are absolutely right about May. I saw where you said something like, "Okay, she's dead! Are you happy now?" and I felt really bad that you'd obviously changed something due to some other folks' unreasonable dislike for a perfectly likable character.

But there's a solution to that: change it.

It's not too late. You could change that with minimal rewriting. May's death felt a little "tacked on," really, so I don't think undoing it would take much effort at all.

And, if you think it would make the story better, you should also (I can't believe I'm saying this) go ahead let Brock die. Even if that would destroy poor Tracey, whom I love dearly.

I mean it. Kill'em both, if that's what it takes. NOTHING is more important than reviving your love for this story. You have very good writer's instincts - and I don't say that lightly. You just need to trust them more.

The great thing about fiction (unlike real life) is you CAN take back a terrible mistake. It's as easy as changing the words.

One last thing. I signed up for this forum solely so I could tell you all this. I have a story I really want to work on, but I'm spending two & a half hours of my only night "off" this week to encourage you - because this story is a good one and deserves to be finished, and because good writers need to be supported.

Don't make my effort be wasted.

(And yes, I AM trying shamelessly to guilt-trip you. Is it working? Because I can keep going until it does....<evil laughter>)

Back