News September's SM4 Set: 'The Awoken Hero' and 'The Transdimensional Beast'

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
I really like the full art Kartana GX. I'll get at least one because I want to try teching it into my Golisopod/Garbodor deck. I also really like the Buzzwole full art. I want to make that deck but already know it'll probably be a bit lackluster due to limited support and weakness.

Am I the only one that doesn't care for Rainbow Rares in general? I think it takes the originality out of the art.

Nyora

A Cat
Stuff

Cacturne – Grass – HP110
Stage 1 – Evolves from Cacnea

[G] Spike Rend: 30 damage. If your opponent’s Active Pokemon already has damage counters on it, this attack does 60 more damage.

[G][C] Hunt: Choose 1 of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon and switch it with their Active Pokemon. This attack does 40 damage to the new Active Pokemon.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

Cacturne is one of my favorite cards in this set. Spike Rend is really cool peaking at 90 damage for 1 Energy. I personally think that with either Ninetales-GX and/or Koko Promo along with Lurantis promo, this could make for a very powerful rogue deck. Hunt is a decent "sniping" attack an der I think it might be used but the cool thing about hunt is that it doesn't "snipe" meaning you get the damage boost from Lurantis. And also Cacturne Spike Rend + Choice Band + 1 damage = 160 at least for 1 which isn't too bad especially since most of the tie the target will have 2 damage or or more.
Alolan Marowak – Fire – HP100
Stage 1 – Evolves from Cubone

[.] Fire Dance: Choose a number of [R] Energy from your discard pile equal to the number of Energy attached to your opponent’s Pokemon. Then, attach them to your Pokemon in any way you like.

[R][R][C] Burning Bonemerang: 70x damage. Flip 2 coins. This attack does 70 damage times the number of heads. If you flip at least 1 heads, your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Burned.

Weakness: Water (x2)

My favorite thing about this card is that it's "good" attack is free. Not a very good card itself, but I could see some Volc players playing this, as it is a VERY good late game mon that can just readily power up your mons use of a GX attack like Nitro Tank. Plus it's a 1-prize mon so idk, I think this might be used.
Starmie – Water – HP90
Stage 1 – Evolves from Staryu

Ability: Escape
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may shuffle this Pokemon and all cards attached to it into your deck.

[C] Spinning Attack: 40 damage.

Weakness: Grass (x2)
Retreat: 1

I really don't see a use for this right now because at first your like oh this is cool I can bring this up after a mon faints or whatever to use Aqua Patch, at least what I thought. However this is outclassed by SM Wishiwashi if you wanna do that. Either way I don't see a lot of use for this but I feel like it's going to be good eventually.
Octillery – Water – HP100
Stage 1 – Evolves from Remoraid

[C] Ink Spit: If the Defending Pokemon tries to attack during your opponent’s next turn, your opponent flips a coin. If tails, that attack does nothing.

[W][C] Special Cannon: 40 damage. You may discard a Special Energy from this Pokemon. If you do, this attack does 80 more damage.

This is the ultimate "eeehhhhhh" card in the set for me. Counter Energy is the obvious us effort this, luckily Splash Energy is still in format so that can be used with it and I guess rainbow as well. I actually like it with Rainbow because then you can get a good paring up with Drampa or other cards. It can top with 150 with Choice Band however Volcanion is a thing so I think Octillery/Drampa MIGHT be a deck some people play probably won't but it is still interesting.
Crawdaunt – Water – HP110
Stage 1 – Evolves from Corphish

[W][W][W][C] Double Needle: 80 damage. Discard 2 Energy from your opponent’s Active Pokemon.

My personal favorite card if the whole set. I've always wanted a good Aqua Patch abuser and they gave it to me! :3
Double Needle + Aqua Patch = Lotsa pain. May not be very good seeing as how Gardevoir and Metagross can obliterate it, but I still love it! It's an amazing card that at least I will play.
Alolan Golem-GX – Lightning – HP250
Stage 2 – Evolves from Alolan Graveler

[L][C][C] Hammer In: 80 damage.

[L][L][C][C] Super Magnetic Tackle: 200 damage. This Pokemon does 50 damage to itself.

[L][L][C][C] Heavy Rock GX: 100 damage. Your opponent can’t play any cards from their hand during their next turn. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

When your Pokemon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Metal (-20)
Retreat: 4

Like, what the heck is this? It's a terrible card. At first I thought "Electrode" but then you realize it's Super Magnetic Tackle literally tries to kill itself! I don't think this will be played at all but that GX attack is the only thing givin it hope.
Emolga – Lightning – HP60
Basic Pokemon

[C] Enercatch: Put 3 basic Energy cards from your discard into your hand.

[L] Voltswitch: 30 damage. Switch this Pokemon with a [L] Pokemon on your Bench.

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Retreat: 1

For those looking to play Magnezone/Raichu-GX, this might be a nice addition into your deck. Rainout is just oblivion wing, but this is better. If you have 3 Energy in your discard, then next turn you can easily just reattach them all with Magnezone. It also has a decent second attack if it gets stuck in the active or something.

I might look at more later but school calls!

riChchestMat

Aspiring Trainer
Anyone pre-ordered from AmiAmi had their requests for payment yet? Usually they'd be in my email box now, if release date is tomorrow...

Mega Mewtwo

Aspiring Trainer
All these cards suck don't waste your money. The only card that will remain it's value is the metal energy

Loaf of Slakoth

BREAD is loafing around!
That Cincinno...it's such a troll. Definitely using for my casual deck. Also, I love that Warp Energy! Kinda reminds me of the designs of the Rainbow Energies from the DP/P sets(I think it was Stormfront).

Mack Dabson

Ur mom likes my pokemon
  • Memory cards - Amazing but disappointing. 1.)Field Blower is everywhere. If you run 2 copies per deck, it's hard to set it up because blower is just discard your tools and your set up is gone. 2.) I love how it covers weakness on some top tier decks but Silvally is Stage 1, you'll getting a hard time with that. 3.) You can't attach Choice Band for your advantage. 3-4 Geodudes. (Sorry for being so salty.)
what is the max geodudes a card can earn

D2B2WIN1

Aspiring Trainer
These Full-Arts look amazing! Buzzwole is the best one with the Alolan Exeggutor as a close-second. The Gold Energy reprints are the most surprising part of this reveal.

ProcInc

Aspiring Trainer
I'm only a Morty Sunkern but the Crimson Invasion set is 111 cards and the combined sets and full arts of SM4 totals 110 doesn't it? (50+5 each. The rest will be English secret rares)

Did I mess up somewhere?

Davidoo008

Pika Pika! ♥️
I think that these sets are pretty good! I owe that Pikachu, Alolan Raichu, Houndoom, Stufful and Type: Null! Thought they could do better job with GX cards :/

DarkSalamence

Aspiring Trainer
I wanna buy Hyper Rare A. Exeggutor so badly. Just for the memes.

Yea notice how I said I was gonna buy the card and not packs. I'm not getting any packs of Crimson invasion, because, in my personal opinion, I don't think its a good set. Probably the worst SM set we've gotten so far. And i'm a bit iffy about the metal type reprint... But Buzzwoles FA looks pretty sweet.
Exeggutor is a Boss

wobbuffet lover 1

Aspiring Trainer
Interesting cards from this set:

• Alolan Marowak: Fire Dance is an interesting attack in Ho-oh GX deck. It is a little less consistent since it relies on the opponent but it can be used more than once if needed.
  • Octillery: Still like the discard attack as a tech in decks that ultilize Octillery and Special Energies anyway.
  • Gorgeist: Pumpkin Bomb is a rather nice attack. To me he is the spiritual successor of Night March and Vespiquen.
  • Buzzwole GX: This card is in essence a Fighting version of Lapras GX and has access to all the Fighting support. The weakness hurts but he is at least a good as Lapras GX.
  • Kartana GX: Nice ability and a decent GX attack to either activate Hala in set up deck or to close out a game by drawing the last prize card that remained.
  • Silvally GX: With Fighting Memory and Psychic Memory he can hit some decks for weakness and accelerate at the same time. Combined with the Regi trio he could be the spiritual successor of four coorners. The GX attack is nice too since most decks tend to have full benches.
  • Registeel, Regice, and Regirock: Metal and Water are a decent weakness to hit and Silvally resolves the retreat issue. Registeel and Regice would be the main attackers and regirock is a bench sitter to fuel them.
  • Kakuna: Sprout is indeed a nice attack since it allows Beedrill EVO to swarm. However since Beedrill needs two attachments to attack it will not be the new Greninja.
  • Magikarp: Although not decent in standard this is a great addition to an expanded Gyarados deck.
  • Milotic: With Tapu Koko around Mercy could be a nice attack in decks that attempt to bench the opponent and disrupt their energies.
  • Alolan Raichu: Surge Surfer provides instant free retreat and Psychic is a decent attack. Could see this in a Golisopod variant to counter Gardevoir GX.
  • Oranguru: Forest Mechanic combos well with Gorgeist and I like the art a lot.
  • Nihilego GX: Nihilistic Light is still a decent ability. Alolan Muk GX can benefit from it and I could also see it in other psychic decks.
  • Miltank: Could be a nice addition to Gardevoir GX decks.
  • Counter Catcher: Nice come-back card and switch effects are great in this game.
  • Counter Energy: Non-GX decks like Gorgeist and Vespiquen and Night March in expanded will love it as an occational additional Double Colorless Energy.
  • Lusamine: Decent one-off card in decks that need a specific supporter and stadium card in standard.
  • Gladion: Decent one-off or two-off card in decks such as Greninja that tend to struggle if specific cards end up being prized.
For me the highlights sure are Gorgeist and Silvally GX. We do not need memories of all the types but a fire memory would be great. Other types such as metal and water can be covered with the Big Basic Non-GX Pokémon.
u forgot mismagious

ShinyZard

Aspiring Trainer
Alolan Marowak's zero energy attack is pretty good, but only for fire decks. It would be great if it was for any energy. Counter Catcher is also interesting, but item cards these days are not highly favorable, especially since Guzma does a better job than Counter Catcher.

Arannayl

Aspiring Trainer
another steel secret rare energy!?!? i guess this is a chance of getting another SR darkness energy?

ShinyZard

Aspiring Trainer
I think Guzzlord will see the most play of all the ultra beasts as it has an attack for energy acceleration and the potential to get 4 prize cards with its GX attack. Another interesting pair is Lusamine and Gyarados GX. I initially thought Lusamine would be a 1-2 card in most decks. But, if you're running a Gyarados GX deck, then the Lusamine count will be higher to pair with one of Gyarados's attack doing a potential damage of 200 with a stadium card in play.