Contest September 2020 CaC: Weather (All Results Up!)

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
sept_20_cac_v3.1.png

Welcome to the September 2020 round of the Create-A-Card!

This month’s theme is Weather.

Weather has been a part of the main series Pokémon games for years. From the weather-inducing moves of Generation II to the overworld weather that changed with the seasons of Generation V — and of course, the weather-causing legends taking center stage in Generation III — the mechanic has grown a lot over the years to get to the place it is today. Now, we want to see your take on a card inspired by the weather!

For this round of the competition, you’ll construct a Pokémon card that in some way, shape, or form takes its inspiration from the in-game phenomenon of weather. (Follow that link for an in-depth overview of weather’s history in the games.) You might use moves or Abilities as a starting point, or choose a Pokémon with a more overt connection to the weather. You might make a new mechanic, or simply reference the weather through mechanics that already exist. The choice is yours, and the options are limitless!

This competition has two sections, text-based and image-based fakes. For text-based fakes, all you have to do is create a card in text form and post it in here! For image-based fakes, you’ll need the help of some software to let your creations come to life. But one thing remains important between both of them: your cards must be completely original!

Registration

• To sign up you must reply to the thread below. Make sure to include whether you’re in for text or image-based fakes!
    --
  • You may register with a partner and work together on the same card. This way each member can use their different talents and combine their skills, especially if one of you is an artist and the other is a TCG player. (Feel free to post in the thread that you’re looking for a partner if you want one.)
    --
  • We have a total of 15 spaces available for text-based entries and 15 for image-based. If you’ve never done an image-based card before, now is a great time to learn! PokéBeach has many card blanks and guides available for use.

Judging

--------
Text-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    We’re all tired of effectless attacks! Without images, part of the intrigue with text-based fakes is the creativity of Pokémon Power / Body / Ability / attack effects. Let’s see something cool and new!
    Total: 20 points
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of card you choose as card wording has changed many times over the years. Naturally, grammar and spelling are also taken into consideration.

Text-based fakers may format their entries any way they choose, but for those who are new or would like a guideline to follow, this is a simple formatting guideline you can follow:

Pokémon – Type – HP50
    Stage 1 – Evolves from Pokémon

Ability: Name
    Ability Effect

[R][C] Attack 20
    Attack Effect

Weakness: Fire (x2)
    Resistance: Psychic (-20)
    Retreat: [C] [C] [C]
    Pokédex Information

Total: 15 points
    ---
  3. Believability/Playability
    Text-based fakes rely heavily on their believability. Think of your entries as if they were real cards. Try to avoid those 400 HP monsters which do 200 damage for [R]! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will also be taken into consideration. We will assume that your card is being created for the current TCG era unless otherwise stated, so if you are making a card for a previous era, you must mention this in your entry post.
Max Points: 50

--------
Image-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    This is a given. With the proper photo editing tools, let your imagination run wild! Among other things, this can involve innovating new mechanics, envisioning new card interactions, and exploring exciting gameplay potential or other design space.
    ---
  2. Believability/Playability
    Believability and playability are both integral to the realism of a fake. A card’s playability is its power level — try not to be overpowered or underpowered for the era you’re designing in! For believability, proper type (unless delta-species), Pokédex information, ballpark HP, and so on will be taken into consideration.
    ---
  3. Wording
    Proper wording is key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of blank you choose, as card wording has changed many times over the years. Naturally, grammar and spelling are also taken into consideration.
    Total: 10 points
    ---
  4. Fonts and Placement
    Correct fonts (which may change era by era) are imperative when creating realistic fakes — even for custom blanks, fonts in line with the convention can go a long way toward making them appear realistic. Placement of text / symbols / etc. is also taken into consideration.
    Total: 5 points
    ---
  5. Aesthetics
    Aesthetics is all about how your card looks as a complete whole. Aspects of this category include using creative and appropriate artwork, using neat or custom blanks, and overall having an appealing card creation. Additionally, you may not use existing artwork from the TCG for your cards. If you’d like to use Ken Sugimori stock artwork, you may do so, but it must be transformative in nature.
    Total: 5 points
Max Points: 50

And that’s the point breakdown for this round’s Create-A-Card! @Jabberwock will be judging image-based, and @FourteenAlmonds will be judging text-based.

We’re always looking for new judges. Keen to join the team? You can learn how to apply here.

General Rules

• The card you submit must be of a Pokémon — that is, not a Trainer, Energy, or other type of card. Occasionally, we open this up to other types of cards if the month’s theme warrants it, but otherwise it’s impossible to judge (for example) Pokémon cards against Trainer cards, since their uses in-game are so different.
    --
  • For those entering image-based, you must include the symbol here on your card (such as the set symbol) or else your entry won’t be accepted. It was designed by the lovely Nekoban Ryo who continuously creates resources for the faking world and is a prominent faker himself. In addition, we do not allow any image-based entries that have been made using automatic, online card generators.
    --
  • If you edit your post you’ll incur deduction of 2 points from your overall score, and posting your entry again on a different post also deducts 2 points. When you submit, make sure you’re done! If you mess up the tags or have a similar coding disaster, tag or PM me to get it fixed. If you forget to credit someone, do so in a new post instead of editing.
    --
  • Participants who fail to submit a card by the deadline, if the particular portion is full, will automatically lose 2 points for next round (similar to losing 2 points for the current round for editing). If the portion you have signed-up for is full and if you wish to drop out, you must do so with three days remaining before the deadline to not incur the penalty. Continuing to fail to post a submission in future rounds will result in a possible ban from the contest for a couple of months. Please keep a close eye on the deadline.
    --
  • All CAC entries should not be posted elsewhere in the PokéBeach forums while the current month’s contest is ongoing. If you have a personal thread or gallery where you post your fake card creations, you must wait to post your CAC card there until the contest is complete and full judging results have been posted. This is to ensure that CAC judges can continue to give proper feedback both within the contest and in the forums.
    --
  • Participants should only enter one of the two categories. This is to prevent the potential for an excessive influx of entries for our judges to manage.
    --
  • Artists/illustrators are free to post in this thread, letting participants know that they are available.
    --
  • All entries should meet the forum rules. You should always credit the artist, and never use someone else’s art without their permission, else it is considered art theft.

Deadline: September 30th (Wed.) 12:00pm EST
Here’s a deadline countdown for convenience: [link]​

Anticipated Entrants

Image-Based:
  1. @bbninjas
  2. @FourteenAlmonds
  3. @PMJ
  4. This could be you!

Text-Based:
  1. @Vom
  2. @AshCo
  3. @DashKing
  4. @47bennyg
  5. @FireLizard
  6. @Kaizaac
  7. @Luispipe8
  8. @Shinxed3
  9. @Babywinds
  10. This could be you!

Bold names means I have seen your entry in this thread.

Want to help advertise the contest? Just paste the code below for the banner in your sig!
Code:
[url=https://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/september-2020-cac-weather-sign-ups-open.151639/][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/607312705912832129/748369629310746694/sept_20_cac_v3.1.png[/img][/url]

Credit goes to @Nekoban Ryo and @CardPone for the banner.

Last edited:

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
its too cold
In for text! Also question. If we make up a mechanic or something do we have to partly explain it on the card? Or like Special Conditions where the cards that use them do not explain how they work because the explanation is separate?
for you here

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Y'know what, in for text, why not? It's been about...Three years since I've done this, so I'll try my hand at something. I think I've got a good idea going on too.

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
its too cold
In for text! Also question. If we make up a mechanic or something do we have to partly explain it on the card? Or like Special Conditions where the cards that use them do not explain how they work because the explanation is separate?
for you here
That's a tough question to answer as it likely depends on the mechanic. If it's analogous to Special Conditions (i.e. a widespread thing that lots of Pokémon use, and for which the explanation is very wordy), it would make sense to me to just call it by a keyword like Paralyzed or Frozen and leave the explanation in the rulebook. If it's more like a new type of marker (think Gardevoir ex's Imprison markers or Tyranitar ex's Shock-wave markers), where it's only really relevant for a select Pokémon, then explaining it in the rulebook wouldn't make much sense, so it would probably be better to include it on the actual card in that scenario. (Of course, some ubiquitous mechanics (like GX attacks) include the reminder text on the card itself anyway, because it's important and because it's not that long anyway.)

Ultimately, I'd advise you to just use your best judgment based on what it's most similar to in the existing game. If it's totally unlike anything we've ever seen before, it might be a good idea to reach out to others in the faking community (such as in the Discord, the link to which can be found in the Faking Resources thread pinned in this forum) for second opinions. :)

FireLizard

A man who knows nothing about proportions.
Here's my entry!

Politoed&Kingdra-GX [W] HP 230
Basic Pokèmon
TAG TEAM

[Ability] Dance of the Rain

When you play this Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench during your turn, you may search your deck for up to 2 [W] Energy cards and attach them to 1 of your Pokémon. Then, shuffle your deck.

[W][W] Massive Storm 30+

This attack does 30 more damage for each [W] attached to all of your Pokémon.

[W][W][W] + Water Trumpet GX

Your opponent shuffles their Active Pokémon and all attached cards into their deck. If this Pokémon has at least 3 extra Water Energy attached to it (in addition to this attack's cost),this attack does 100 damage to each of your opponent's Benched Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)
(You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Weakness:[G]x2

Resistance:None

Retreat Cost:[C][C][C]

TAG TEAM Rule
When your TAG TEAM is knocked out, your opponent takes 3 Prize Cards.
Since this theme is weather,I tought that a rainy theme could be work well,and since Politoed has Drizzle and Kingdra has Swift Swim,both ability connected to the rain,it's a good match.The ability of this TAG TEAM is based on the ancient beliefs that the rain can be summoned by dancing(and this the inspiration of the move Rain Dance),and the moves Massive Storms and Water Trumpet-GX are based on storms,a phenomenon that happens in the rain.
I hope you'll like this card,I tought of it since the start of this contest!

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
**checks deadline**

**still a week left**

Might as well have some fun while I'm at it. Sign me up for text!

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
Turns out I had some free time, so I might as well do it now haha

Stage 2/ Tyranitar // HP180
TCGDark

248.png
Evolves from Pupitar

tyranitar.gif

NO. 248/Armor Pokémon/HT: 6'07"/WT: 445.3 lbs.

150px-TCGAbilityIcon.png
Raging Sand
If a Stadium card is in play, this Pokémon's attacks do 40 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance) and this Pokémon takes 40 less damage from attacks (after applying Weakness and Resistance).

TCGRock
TCGRock
TCGWhite
TCGWhite
Cruel Storm 130
This attack also does 20 damage for each
TCGDark
Energy attached to this Pokémon to each Benched Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.) If any Pokémon is Knocked Out by damage from this attack, discard a Stadium in play.

( Weakness:
TCGGrass
x2 ( Resistance: ( ( Retreat:
TCGWhite
TCGWhite
TCGWhite
TCGWhite
(

If it rampages, it knocks down mountains and buries rivers. Maps must be redrawn afterward.
52/101
Rarity_Rare_Holo.png

SWSH-Era wording and balancing. Couldn't find the appropriate image for the ability, but that'll do.

I wanted to make a TTar as unplayable as all others that could "take advantage" of the field, "field" in this case being a Stadium. The Ability lets him have a little of a fighting chance against V-Max Pokémon and at least do a 2HKO on them, while having a little extra bulk the turns you're not taking a KO. And the attack can be very straightforward and can be charged with a Twin Energy if needed to, but you'd want to attach at least a Darkness to get that juicy added effect, but sacrifice speed in the process. And I made the attack hit all Benched Pokémon so you think twice about raining damage into your opponent. It's definitely a high-risk/high-reward Pokémon, as most Stage 2s are.

Hoping you like it!​

ShinxieDim

bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
Alolan Ninetales – [W] – HP 110
Stage 1 – Evolves from Alolan Vulpix

Ability: Retribution Blizzard
As long as this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, put 1 Snow Marker on each of your opponent’s Pokémon between turns. Whenever your opponent takes a Prize Card, put 1 damage counter on each of your opponent’s Pokémon for each Snow Marker on it. Then, remove all Snow Markers from play.

[W] Frost Twirl 20

Move any amount of Snow Markers from your opponent’s Pokémon to your opponent’s other Pokémon in any way you like.

[W][W][C] Avalanche Crash
This attack does 30 damage to each of your opponent’s Pokémon that has any damage counters on it. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.) If your opponent’s Active Pokémon is a Pokémon-EX or Pokémon-GX and was damaged by this attack, that Pokémon is now Paralyzed.

Weakness: Metal (x2)
Resistance: None
Retreat: [C]
The reason it guides people all the way down to the mountain’s base is that it wants them to hurry up and leave.

(Balanced/Worded around Sun and Moon Era)

This card is my twist on Snow Warning, Alolan Ninetales' Hidden Ability. Since this is the Hail condition, it was going to be a card that spread residual damage of some sort, but I wanted it to reflect the vengeful nature of Ninetales. So, just like it punishes those who destroy nature, it punishes your opponent for taking Prizes by slowly freezing them with Retribution Blizzard.

Frost Twirl was added to this card to add a bit more versatility to Retribution Blizzard's capabilities, and to be some sort of display of this Pokémon's elegance. Avalanche Crash is it's finishing move of sorts, ending the battle by Freezing/Paralyzing the EX/GX opponent.

When thinking over these attacks and ability, I tried to make this Pokémon most effective when you have many of them in play. These Pokémon hunt in packs, after all (see Alolan Vulpix's Ultra Sun entry). If you Knock Out one, Retribution Blizzard activates, and if another Alolan Ninetales replaces your Active Pokémon, then even more Snow Markers are put into play. Snow Markers put damage counters on your opponent's Pokémon, and Avalanche Crash further worsens the situation. It can make for some massive amounts of spread damage.

I wanted the feeling of playing a deck with this Pokémon to feel like you were truly defending a snowy mountain.

I hope you like it, and good luck to all the other contestants!

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
0ikRx4j

Here ya go. Weathery.

Pidgeot deleting the Stadium is supposed to be reminiscent of learning Sunny Day, y'know, bright sunny day, just chilling and flying through the sky being a boss. Getting a bit of draw is a bonus. Hurricane is the main draw. Looks flippy but if you power the move with Water Energy, the damage is free. Meant to reference the video games where Hurricane never misses if used in the rain. Thanks pone for the inspiration.

HP and stats are the same as the single solitary Pidgeot card in the entirety of SM. Three for 160 sounds incredible until you learn you have to power it up with Water Energy specifically and it can't hit for Weakness, and it's a Stage 2.

I'm sure someone is going to nitpick my bottom stats again but I'm just submitting this so this month doesn't end with 0 image entrants.

glory to pidgeot

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
il3VmUy.png

I need those two points so here's a repost of a working image like a not idiot

Kaizaac

Aspiring Trainer
Frosmoth V - [W] - 170 HP
Basic Pokémon

Ability - Snow Cloak
If the Stadium Card “Circhester Bay” is in play, between turns heal 20 damage from this Pokémon.

[W][W] Blizzard- 100
If the Stadium Card “Circhester Bay” is in play, this attack does 30 damage to each of your opponent’s benched Pokémon.

Weakness: Metal (x2)
Resistance: None
Retreat:
When the weather gets viciously cold, this Pokémon protects the young Snom with it’s cloak.
Pokémon V rule: When your Pokémon V is knocked out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Circhester Bay - Trainer - Stadium

Between turns, do 10 damage to every Pokémon except Water type Pokémon.
Hope it’s Ok that I have 2 cards.

Last edited by a moderator: