Contest September 2019 CaC: Bug Pokémon! (Stay Tuned for Results!)

Discussion in 'Creative Works' started by Jabberwock, Sep 2, 2019.

1. PMJ happy thoughts
    PMJ

Articles Head Activities Staff Badges Staff Elite Member Advanced Member Member

I forgot about this contest. I am shooting for top 3 at minimum.

[​IMG]

I chose Ribombee for several reasons:

1. Ribombee is nauseatingly cute. This flies directly in the face of the typical bug archetype since most bugs are not cute, or even feminine in appearance. Just look at how cute it is! Aww.
    2. All of Ribombee's existing cards are Fairy. I wanted to do a Grass-type card specifically for this contest to reinforce the fact that yes, Ribombee is a bug. I figured a lot of people would be like 'lol I made a Fire-type Volcarona card, but it's still a bug lol!" and I didn't want to do that, which is ironic because that is exactly what I'm doing. With that said, I feel like the Grass-type better evokes that Bug Feeling (TM) than any other type of card, despite the Pokemon depicted on it, so I'm off the hook.
    3. All of Ribombee's cards are awful >:[ Ribombee only has 3 cards and all of them are low-HP support mons that never saw any real play. I once again prove I am a master in irony by making a low-HP support mon. The difference is that my card has decent HP and a kick ass Ability that actually warrants its use.
    4. c u t e s t

HP: Ninety is sky high for a Ribombee and average for Stage 1s in general. Ribombee isn't exactly the type of Pokemon you want to build around, but I also didn't want it to get sniped out before you could parasite yourself.

Parasitism: Did you know that Ribombee is based on the bee fly? Their larvae are parasitoids of the eggs and larvae of other insects, and that is pretty badass. Because no matter how cute you are on the outside, nothing says disgusting-ass bug like being reminded that its babies survive by leeching off of and eventually killing your babies. Brutal. The Ability itself is very strong, allowing you to swap out the Weakness of any Pokemon your opponent has in play, which will let you follow up with a KO depending on who you are swinging with. To balance it, it costs your a Prize every time you use it; the Ability first discards all cards attached to you in order to prevent Life Dew, Shedinja, or any other cards like it from allowing you to stream Ribombee endlessly. Additionally, it counts as a Tool while attached (like Head Ringer), so you can't use it on anything that already has a Tool attached to it.

Overall I am a huge fan of this Ability. It is stronger in a format with Tool removal, and makes multi-Prize threats a liability since Ribombee is capable of tipping the Prize trade in your favor so easily. In my opinion, it is a much-needed nerf for such cards.

Silver Wind: Nothing special, but it does do enough damage to OHKO Grass-weak one-Prizers, but not Grass-weak two-Prizers. Of course, considering you can just go in with a stronger attacker, this is moot, but that is how I balanced the attack.

Bottom stats: Nothing flashy here. Fire Weakness to remind you again that Ribombee is a bug and not just the cutest little fairy pancake maker in the world, Fighting Resistance because no Resistance is the worst Resistance and I gotta rep that double Resistance, and a Retreat Cost of 1 because 0 is too low and 2 is too high.

I fought with the holo. I got help with it and then decided to use a different background anyway lol. Still looks okayish.

The W/R/RC symbols are centered. Nothing hanging out of my corners this time. Enjoy.

chico, Nyan, Nyora and 3 others like this.

2. Fariszk7 Card Connoisseur
    Fariszk7

I'm down for an image based, i have my card ready!

bbninjas likes this.
  3. Jabberwock #Jovimohnaeliackvid
    Jabberwock

I've put you down. Note that you don't necessarily have to wait for me to do that before submitting, if you know that signups aren't full. :p

4. Ephemera Wandering Faerie~
    Ephemera

First fake card made; I hope it's not too bad. Fingers crossed!

Galvantula-GX - Grass - HP190
    Stage 1 - Evolves from Joltik

Ability: Static Silk
    If this Pokémon has any [L] energy attached to it, this Pokémon’s type is both [G] and [L].

[G][C] Swarming Bite
    On each of your opponent’s benched Pokémon, place damage counters equal to the amount of Joltik in your discard pile.

[G] Web Stunner GX 10x
    This attack does 10 damage times the number of damage counters on your opponent’s benched Pokémon. The Defending Pokemon is now Paralyzed. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Weakness: [R] x2
    Resistance:
    Retreat: [C]
    When attacked, they create an electric barrier by spitting out many electrically charged threads.

The Last Shaymin and Nyora like this.
  5. Ephemera Wandering Faerie~
    Ephemera

... and I just found a few mistakes. :confused:

6. FourteenAlmonds Roasted, but not salty
    FourteenAlmonds

If you think it’s going to cost you a lot, you can edit for a -2 penalty

7. FourteenAlmonds Roasted, but not salty
    FourteenAlmonds

My card for text-based has been done for ages, but I’ve been trying to finish turning it into an image fake. I’m nearly done with that, but I don’t think I’ll be able to finish by the end of tomorrow so I’ll most likely just put in the transcript. I’ll still post what I’ve done of the image version, but it won’t be for judging or anything like that — maybe just some tips and suggestions if anyone has any. The card feels... “off” to me anyway so text is the safer bet.

8. Fariszk7 Card Connoisseur
    Fariszk7

Alright here is my entry!

[​IMG]

9. The Ωmega One Aspiring Trainer
    The Ωmega One

I almost had to drop out on this one, picking up a second job has been crazy. Anyways I made this card in a few minutes. Art was taken from a scrapped project
    [​IMG]
    The wording for this card is all really simple common wording with no real references. Originally I wanted to try and draw a regional variant for Volcarona but I didn't have the time or drawing ability

10. TeamAqua4Life #HEYNICK The Phazing Spider-Man
    TeamAqua4Life #HEYNICK

[Basic] Accelgor & Escavalier-GX HP250 [G]
    [Tag Team]

[G][G][M] Shell Buster 150
    Discard the top card of your opponent's deck. This Pokémon does 40 damage to itself.

[C]+ Sinister Toxin-GX 50
    Your opponent's Active Pokémon is now Poisoned. Put 5 damage counters instead of 1 on that Pokémon between turns. If this Pokémon has at least 4 extra [G] on it, this attack does 50 damage to each of your opponent's Benched Pokémon and their active Pokémon is also Paralyzed.

Weakness: [R]x2
    Resistance:
    Retreat: [C][C]
    TAG TEAM - When your TAG TEAM is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 3 Prize cards.

11. bbninjas Ready or Not!
    bbninjas

Advanced Member Member

Just 15 hours remaining to submit your entry!

12. FourteenAlmonds Roasted, but not salty
    FourteenAlmonds

Ok so I didn't end up finishing my image fake so I'll stick with text.

I might post what I've done of it here so people can see and give feedback if they want, but I won't ask for a complete judging of it bc I know that's a hell of a lot of work. It just feels really off to me but I can't put my finger on it. I suspect it's probably small things like placements and sizing errors but they do add up.

Parasect-GX [G] HP200
    Stage 1 – Evolves from Paras

Ability: Sporadic Spores
    If this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon and is damaged by an opponent’s attack (even if it is Knocked Out) put 1 Spore counter on each of your opponent’s Pokémon.

[G][G][G] Fungal Fever
    This attack does 20 damage to each of your opponent’s Pokémon for each Spore counter on that Pokémon. If your opponent’s Active Pokémon was damaged in this way, that Pokémon is now Burned, Confused and Poisoned.

[G] Mushroom Mayhem-GX 30x
    This attack does 30 damage for each Spore counter on all of your opponent’s Pokémon. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Pokémon-GX rule: When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: [R] x2
    Resistance: N/A
    Retreat: [C][C]

References:
    - Lycanroc-GX [Guardians Rising]
    - Venomoth-GX [Unbroken Bonds]
    - Salazzle [Ultra Prism]
    - Rocky Helmet [Boundaries Crossed]

The Last Shaymin and Ephemera like this.
  13. FourteenAlmonds Roasted, but not salty
    FourteenAlmonds

Uh I actually did finish the image after all

[​IMG]

Any feedback would be appreciated :)

(Also yes I know the text should be justified but I merged a bunch of layers and moved on before I realised)

The Last Shaymin and Vom like this.
  14. FourteenAlmonds Roasted, but not salty
    FourteenAlmonds

Thanks for letting me use the photo btw @Nekoban Ryo

15. Vom Memento
    Vom

Forum Mod Member

Fashionably late or just plain late? neither because (hopefully) I'm still barely on time

[Stage 1] Accelgor-GX HP200 [G]
    Evolves from Shelmet

Ability: Forbidden Arts
    Once during your turn (before your attack), when you play Escavalier or Escavalier-GX from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon, you may put this Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench. If you do, you may search your deck for a card and put into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck. You can't use more than 1 Forbidden Arts Ability each turn.

[*] Deck and Cover
    Your opponent's Active Pokémon is now Paralyzed and Poisoned. Shuffle this Pokémon and all cards attached to it into your deck. If you don't have Shelmet and Karrablast in play, this attack does nothing.

[G] Turncoat GX
    If your opponent's Bench isn't full, put this Pokémon and all cards attached to it onto your opponent's Bench. (When this Pokémon leaves play for any reason, put it in its owner's discard pile). If you have Shelmet, Karrablast, and Escavalier or Escavalier-GX in play, you may use 1 more GX attack this game. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Weakness: [R]x2
    Resistance: -
    Retreat: -
    GX Rule: When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.
    Tapu Koko GX for coming into play Ability (close enough)
    Fliptini (hard OPT clause)
    Deck and Cover Accelgor from like 25 years ago
    Head Ringer (behaviour of control-switching cards)
    Ngl, it took a surprising amount of time to figure out what exactly I would do with the Accelgor part of the line. Escavalier GX (last month's entry) was meant to be the main attacker, so at least I knew this card was meant to have a more supporting role. Supportive how, I didn't know yet, but we'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

If I wanted this thing's attack to be worth using over just swinging with Escavalier, it had to be either super good or super fast. And while the attack is definitely not bad, I opted to go the fast route with the Ability while giving it some great synergy with the (kinda?) existing cards. Turbo out an Escavalier, you get this bad boy too if you have it in your hand; it even gets you a free search once per turn.

Originally it was gonna be kind of like Tapu Koko in the sense that it made itself the Active Pokémon, but I figured this was way better since there is no good way of searching React Energy. Besides, you can also get a switching card if you want to use the attack, or really anything else you need.

Shoutout to anyone who recognized the attack. It's basically a reprint of another Accelgor's attack from way back when, but with a few key differences. First off, no Energy cost but no direct damage. The original attack needed a DCE to be used, but this gives up an extra Prize and is not nearly as abusable since the attack can't be copied.

The other difference is that you need both Shelmet and Karrablast in play or the attack does nothing, which is the best way I could think of to prevent the attack from being exploited like the original one was. It's not a hard 'this attack cannot be copied' clause, but it should be good enough to prevent decks based entirely around copying the attack.

Obviously you can still try to chain the attack by searching for itself, but it would not neat a good enough reward since you would need too many resources to keep them coming every turn. The attack is meant as a buy one turn to charge up Escavalier, two turns at most, and I think it is good at that.

The GX attack is another nuisance, the opponent has to give up either a bench space or their GX attack (unless it's a mirror match), both of which are good scenarios for a theoretical Accelgor/Escavalier deck. The bench spot taken isn't only detrimental to the opponent, it also helps Escavalier's GX attack as it will be one more spot taken. You can use one more GX in its native deck clause is there so there is still reason to use this attack (since you'd want to use Escavalier's attack in prettty much any game) and so using it doesn't hurt you as much as it does your opponent.

All in all, the card does exactly what I wanted it to: it has a pitiful 10 damage in between turns as its entire damage output, but it has a lot of utility that earns it its place in its deck.

16. Jabberwock #Jovimohnaeliackvid
    Jabberwock

Aaaaaand that's a wrap, everyone! Stay tuned for results at the end of the month!

17. Yog Rogue
    Yog

Oh these are nice. I won't say my faves before judging happens.

But just when I thought I was out,

[​IMG]

Damn game..

Someone tag me when spooky October theme starts tyia.

18. Jabberwock #Jovimohnaeliackvid
    Jabberwock

For a number of reasons mainly having to do with our judges' schedules, these days we run CaCs every other month. So the next one will be in November. :)

And welcome back, Yog! ^.^

Yog likes this.
  19. Yog Rogue
    Yog

Someone tag me when spooky November theme gets posted. :)

Viewing Now: 0 Members + 0 Guests

There are no registered members viewing this forum. Why not register here and start a discussion?