Seeking tips on how to build a collection of Pikachu cards!

Secret Pikachu

Aspiring Trainer
Hello!

Even though there are quite a few Pikachu card collections out there, I am seriously considering building up a collection of my own.

The purpose of this thread is to obtain general knowledge of Pokemon TCG card collecting as well as information regarding Pikachu cards.

Any relevant information will be greatly appreciated!

Some questions I have at the moment are:

- Is there a good database of Pikachu cards available somewhere? It would be nice if such a database included promo cards (and any other type of card) as opposed to just the cards that have been released in sets, however anything will help. A database of every Pokemon card available would also help.

- Collectors... how do you go about finding cards for your collection? I don't know many people who collect or play the Pokemon TCG in my city, so I figure I'll have to go online to obtain cards. Are there any websites that really stand out to you (Troll and Toad, PokeOrder, etc.) that have a good selection of collectibles in mint condition? Do you find much on Ebay or are there a lot of fakes? Do the buy/sell/trade threads on PokeBeach work well?

I know this is a lot to ask, especially coming from a new user such as myself, however, I sincerely appreciate any relevant information that is tossed my way!

Thank you!

To address your first question, here is a list of all English and Japanese Pikachus: Click me!

I never buy cards for my collection from TnT. Most of the time, there cards are in Near-Mint condition as advertised. However, for older cards, often times they are below Near-Mint condition. Not to mention their prices on older cards are typically through the roof compared to eBay. I buy my cards from eBay and a few private vendors I know. I also like to buy old-school Boosters from time to time and try my luck. I collect old Wizards of the Coast sets, any and all Mewtwos, and Charizards. You need to be careful who you buy from on eBay because some people stretch the truth. When I buy cards, I always make sure they are Mint. I'm a perfectionist and I don't want to have to buy a card twice. :p

For c/uc, use random online stores as they tend to have cheap prices, but use Ebay for everything that normally goes above $1.

For rarer Japanese cards, use Yahoo! Japan. However, it is very tricky using Yahoo! Japan if you are not in Japan. I have a very very useful guide for Yahoo! Japan, but it requires becoming a member on a different forum, so message me if you want further information.
P.S. - Yahoo! Japan and the forum I'll recommend you to is where a lot of the original Pikachu trophy cards (the ones from the first 3 Japanese tournaments) can be found.

SoulWind and Daelum, thank you both for your help!

@ SoulWind - Does the list that you linked contain every Pikachu card created? For some reason I though there were 100+ in existence (I know nothing though :p).

@ Daelum - I may just take you up on your offer, thank you!

Secret Pikachu said:
SoulWind and Daelum, thank you both for your help!

@ SoulWind - Does the list that you linked contain every Pikachu card created? For some reason I though there were 100+ in existence (I know nothing though :p).

@ Daelum - I may just take you up on your offer, thank you!

I don't think it's got *every* Pikachu on there but it's a great place to start!

There are also a bunch of cards with Pikachu on them that aren't on the list. :)

Back