Blog Schoolyard League Rules: Reflecting Upon Modifications in the TCG at its Beginnings

I went to a league pretty similar to this before, but it still exists. The format was DP-on, you could play by nearly whatever rules you wanted to, the league leaders had no idea on rulings and nobody was competitive. I was frequently pulled from my games with competitive decks to answer a really simple ruling question, such as if you could use different sleeves in a deck or if you could attatch as many water energy in a turn to whatever you want (on the latter ruling, the kid and league leader responded in shock asking why the World Champion could do it and not the kid...).

Different Sleeves in a deck? They all might as well played the entire game with all the cards in the deck face up - that's pure cheating! xD

Before we learned the real rules, my kids used to "play" pokemon cards at school with completely different rules --

You take the weakness on your card and multiply it by the damage of the first attack on your opponent's card. Your opponent does the same. Whoever comes out with the higher number gets to keep both cards (for good).

Naturally it caused a lot of fights and tears.

Before we learned the real rules, my kids used to "play" pokemon cards at school with completely different rules --

You take the weakness on your card and multiply it by the damage of the first attack on your opponent's card. Your opponent does the same. Whoever comes out with the higher number gets to keep both cards (for good).

Naturally it caused a lot of fights and tears.

I cringe at rules like that. If anything, I'm glad that my old league never enforced card gambling at all, despite the other messed up rules.

WOW! That is crazy! Kids can be so cruel without realizing it sometimes. I'm glad I never ran into that. Although I was one who thought the DCE acted as a Double Rainbow, hahaha.

I saw some kids playing pokemon a while ago, but they thought that the winner got to keep all the prize cards their opponent hadn't taken:confused: One of them lost a bunch of EXs.

Apparently the concept of prize cards caused a lot of trouble back in the day. I've heard of some kids playing that instead of drawing one of your own prize cards, you drew from your opponent's and got to keep them.

Oh my, are these prize card rules creepy...

On prize cards at the old league: I learned a little more about the rules from my relatives who played there, and the rules to taking prize cards were from your own cards (thank goodness), but the modified rule was that your Pokemon must have knocked your opponent's Pokemon with an actual attack for you to take them. In other words, if your opponent's Pokemon got knocked out due to things like poison, confusion, etc, you didn't take a prize card - they aren't "attacks" by your Pokemon! xD

Looking that the comments so far, I guess my league seemed quite sane in comparison to just kids left alone to their own rules.

At my old school, when the game was popular, it was very much a game of "if I win, I take your prize cards". However, when I got into the fad, I looked up the rules and pointed out to my best friend that you don't take other people's prize cards... and there was less tears. I think.

Back