Sableye / Garbodor

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head
This thread is used for all competitive discussion on Sableye variants in the Expanded format. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, post in the Deck Garage.

Articles:

Sableye / Garbodor Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 12
  • 4 Sableye (DEX 62)
  • 2 Bunnelby (PRC 121)
  • 2 Garbodor (LTR 68)
  • 2 Trubbish (NVI 48)
  • 1 Jirachi-EX (PLB 60)
  • 1 Shaymin-EX (ROS 77)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 37
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 4 Team Flare Grunt
  • 2 N
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Xerosic
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Crushing Hammer
  • 3 Trainers' Mail
  • 2 Enhanced Hammer
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 2 Head Ringer
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 1 Trick Shovel
  • 1 Life Dew
Energy: 6
  • 6 Darkness Energy
Open Spots: 5

This thread is used for all competitive discussion on Sableye variants in the Expanded format. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, post in the Deck Garage.

Articles:

Sableye / Garbodor Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 12
  • 4 Sableye (DEX 62)
  • 2 Bunnelby (PRC 121)
  • 2 Garbodor (LTR 68)
  • 2 Trubbish (NVI 48)
  • 1 Jirachi-EX (PLB 60)
  • 1 Shaymin-EX (ROS 77)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 38
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 4 Team Flare Grunt
  • 2 N
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Xerosic
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Crushing Hammer
  • 3 Trainers' Mail
  • 2 Enhanced Hammer
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 2 Head Ringer
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 1 Life Dew
  • 2 Silent Lab
Energy: 6
  • 6 Darkness Energy
Open Spots: 4
You should run a Team Aqua's Secret Base in there instead of 2 Silent Lab. Garbodor makes Silent Lab redundant. Also, I would run a Hex Maniac, and/or a Ghetsis in there, and probably Battle Compressor over Trainer's Mail. I also run 3 Sycamore, 3 Float Stone instead of 4 Sycamore, 2 Float Stone. AZ is incredible in here too. Just suggestions though…except Silent Lab IMO needs to go.

You should run a Team Aqua's Secret Base in there instead of 2 Silent Lab. Garbodor makes Silent Lab redundant. Also, I would run a Hex Maniac, and/or a Ghetsis in there, and probably Battle Compressor over Trainer's Mail. I also run 3 Sycamore, 3 Float Stone instead of 4 Sycamore, 2 Float Stone. AZ is incredible in here too. Just suggestions though…except Silent Lab IMO needs to go.
The list is a skeleton and isn't complete or set in stone. This isn't my list either. It is meant to be something to start with.

How well do you think this is positioned in the meta right now? All the top decks i look at seem to only have 7-10 energy and ah least half being special. Do you think the deck could support a ful 4-4 crushing/enhanced hammer?

Also, is ability lock better then say a crobat line with SSU's to take prizes faster on top of recycling hammers/disruption cards? We can get the important abilitieslocked out through silant lab easier to remove but with cards such as dowsing machine we can put it back into play every turn if needed.

How well do you think this is positioned in the meta right now? All the top decks i look at seem to only have 7-10 energy and ah least half being special. Do you think the deck could support a ful 4-4 crushing/enhanced hammer?
Sableye/Garb not only doesn't have the space to run a 4-4 Crushing Hammer/Enhanced Hammer line, it doesn't need it either. 4 Crushing and 2 Enhanced should be all you need, especially if you run 4 Team Flare Grunt and 1-2 Xerosic. If anything, you could go down to 1 enhanced hammer to fit in a Ghetsis or Hex Maniac, Trick Shovel, or whatever works for you.

But don't get me wrong, that IS a spicy idea (albeit a "mean" one) :)

The crobat line is too clunky, because then you would have to cut down on hammers or something, which would hurt the deck's overall consistency and general idea/effectiveness. Garb ensures you don't get slaughtered by stuff like Archie Stoise, Bronzong and Eelektrik.

You could tech in an Eco Arm and a skyla/korina to guarantee a Life Dew every single turn. Here's how it works, life dew is in the discard, play Eco Arm, shuffle it back in, play skyla to pull it from library, then play it on active sableye and use junk hunt to return Eco arm and VS Seeker. Now if they knock out your sableye they take no prizes, and you can repeat the process next turn. If they don't knock you out (or can't) you simply continue your junk hunting plan of getting disruption tools.

This allows them to never take a prize off your pokemon and you still run super rods and stuff to keep yourself from decking out.

You could tech in an Eco Arm and a skyla/korina to guarantee a Life Dew every single turn. Here's how it works, life dew is in the discard, play Eco Arm, shuffle it back in, play skyla to pull it from library, then play it on active sableye and use junk hunt to return Eco arm and VS Seeker. Now if they knock out your sableye they take no prizes, and you can repeat the process next turn. If they don't knock you out (or can't) you simply continue your junk hunting plan of getting disruption tools.

This allows them to never take a prize off your pokemon and you still run super rods and stuff to keep yourself from decking out.
I beg to differ on the penultimate statement "never take a prize off your pokemon (sic)". They can just Lysandre around you for a while until they draw into their Scrappers/Megaphones.

I beg to differ on the penultimate statement "never take a prize off your pokemon (sic)". They can just Lysandre around you for a while until they draw into their Scrappers/Megaphones.

True, it's not "never" as they're are ways to get around it (lysandre, item removal, ect) but the idea is still strong; always being able to promote a pokemon with life dew will be a major headache for your opponent. Especially when you combine standard enerygy denial tactics.

In addition to other disruption, it's nearly impossible for opponents to take 6 prizes off Lysandre alone, even if they run a Scrapper. This is assuming you end every single turn with a Life Dew Sableye active though. There are other things to worry about like Giratina and Toad, as you have to draw into energy removal cards often. Articuno is also very annoying.

In addition to other disruption, it's nearly impossible for opponents to take 6 prizes off Lysandre alone, even if they run a Scrapper. This is assuming you end every single turn with a Life Dew Sableye active though. There are other things to worry about like Giratina and Toad, as you have to draw into energy removal cards often. Articuno is also very annoying.
I agree its not perfect, but being able to retrieve life Dew to your hand everyturn without having to junk hunt directly for is a very powerful (and annoying for your opponent)

i see a strong case for 1 hypnotoxic lazer as you run a very stall deck here and it cant hurt since you can grab it when needed

The Laser is only good to try to put pressure on baby Yveltals when they put Virbank up. I rarely junk hunt for it in other match ups.

I was building this deck and was wondering what to cut for 4 Puzzle of Time? Do you drop the 4 trainer's mail or make it 2 and drop something else? What are your opinions?

Back