Rumor Control: 'Base Set' is Not Confirmed to be Reprinted at This Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArccherSlash

Better Ingredients, Better Decks, Papa Archer's
What if we start go get old cards that made the metagame during their time? Like Luxray G LV. X, Yanmega Prime, Feraligatr from Neo Genesis, Baby Pokemon, Hitmonchan, and other cards like that. I would love that, but it would make the format absolutely insane.

arulz

THE SEEKER
Saw this on Facebook, came here to confirm, thought you guys were behind the times xD checked your Twitter and cleared it up tho.

Thanks for posting this so quickly!

I kinda hope they make cards similar to base set ones but they up the power and HP to compete with modern cards. That would be fun.

Anything but another mewtwo ex

RealSlim

Dragons Breeder
Reprinting the original Base Set is completely nonsense: the metagame is totally different and I'm so glad that they specificated that this will likely not happen.

Empoleon_master

I can stop watching Anime any time I don't want to
But if we don't put the Japanese website through google translate and add or subtract letters to the translation to make the website get more hits or generate entirely useless real life fan fic about what's going to happen with the TCG what else will the internet focus on? My best guess is what is this new Pokemon that's being introduced into gen 36, yet is being shown now for some reason, and is it blue or gold?
shiny metagross 1.png

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
I kinda hope they give us cards made in the spirit of older cards, but also keeping in mind how modern cards are designed. Most Base Set-era stuff is horribly weak by today's standards, while a lot of the best utility Pokemon from the DPP era would be Pokemon-EX these days, and would likely be overpowered as non-EX Pokemon. A set or series of sets based on this concept could be great.

That being said, I honestly don't want them reusing MECHANICS from the past that are no longer in use. Bringing things like Pokemon LEGEND or Pokemon Lv.X back for a single set/mini-series is bad for the game, and potentially confusing for a significant portion of the casual playerbase.

I'd be interested in seeing what cards people would like to see a card being based off, honestly. (Not necessarily a direct port, of course, not like we'd get something like Jungle Mr. Mime or Neo Genesis Cleffa in its original state, but we could very well get cards based on them.) I'd personally like to see how they'd handle cards based on things like Jungle Mr. Mime, Electrode Prime or Stormfront Machamp.

TheLunaticHypno

Just your average Hypno fan
What might be nice, and what most players will like, is if they make the cards in the style of the base set cards, not that the cards will be the same Pokemon with the same attacks, but the cards will look like they came out back then, but with new Pokemon and attacks. I would also like to see some break cards using the same pose as the base set cards( in example, a charizard break with the same pose as the original card, and maybe even a similar attack, but better). I would also like to see exact reprints of the three starters (charizard venusaur, and blastoise) as secret rares. I think that is a great idea

BulbasaurusRex

Aspiring Trainer
"The official site does not say what it will contain. Will it be reprinted Base Set cards or, more likely, modern cards released in the spirit of Base Set? All the official site says is “This is a product that revisits Base Set, the original set from 20 years ago.”"

My Japanese is a bit rusty, but doesn't the verb saigen suru mean "reproduce," not "revisit"?

See here, which uses it to mean reproduce or duplicate. I've never seen the verb used in a way that doesn't mean it is recreating the object.

FWIW I would be most excited for same artwork but different attacks/stats...

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
But if we don't put the Japanese website through google translate and add or subtract letters to the translation to make the website get more hits or generate entirely useless real life fan fic about what's going to happen with the TCG what else will the internet focus on? My best guess is what is this new Pokemon that's being introduced into gen 36, yet is being shown now for some reason, and is it blue or gold?
View attachment 9445

That was confusing as heck to read, but it ended with the old dress meme from Tumblr, so I approve lol.

Also I agree with some of the above people. It would be sooo cool to have Base Set Pokémon reprinted on the old templates (with or without the old Pokémon art), but with new stats and attacks that make them playable.

Or even new cards entirely, just printed on the old templates. Oh! And maybe a reprint of the old Switch and Potion arts in future sets as gold trainers!

So many possibilities! :D

Wobawoba21

Aspiring Trainer
I thought that pokémon said they would never make another Kadabra card again.:oops:
Yeah thee was supposedly a law suit because his resemblance to a magician or his name something like that , that's the reason that ( I forgot what pack) they made an Abra that had ana track that made it evolve to alakazam and skip kadabra

Last edited by a moderator:

Leonhart54

Aspiring Trainer
As someone who has collected since the game's inception, I love this! In fact, since it's the 20th anniversary of the release, wow I'm old, I will be giving away a bunch of my mint 1st Edition Base Set cards in honor of all the kids who don't have the funds or simply want to experience the awesomeness of the first Pokemon cards! I will be releasing the giveaway video today or tomorrow here, Leonhart54

Just wanting to pay it forward so others have the chance to enjoy the game fully!

TheUltimateAbsol

Truth or Ideals? It's all Black and White to me
As someone who has collected since the game's inception, I love this! In fact, since it's the 20th anniversary of the release, wow I'm old, I will be giving away a bunch of my mint 1st Edition Base Set cards in honor of all the kids who don't have the funds or simply want to experience the awesomeness of the first Pokemon cards! I will be releasing the giveaway video today or tomorrow here, Leonhart54

Just wanting to pay it forward so others have the chance to enjoy the game fully!

You do realize this was an anti-news article, deconfirming rumors? Meaning its still only a mere possibility we are going to get any card even related to base set?

Leonhart54

Aspiring Trainer
You do realize this was an anti-news article, deconfirming rumors? Meaning its still only a mere possibility we are going to get any card even related to base set?

I never mentioned anything other than it's the 20th anniversary and I want others to have a chance to collect the actual old base set 1st edition cards so not really seeing what you're getting at, but thanks for commenting and have a great new years!

Empoleon_master

I can stop watching Anime any time I don't want to
Hey guys, I just had a weird and trippy dream about this set, time to post it as fact and have it spread all over the internet...

First off it's basically going to be mostly XY cards reprinted has some SPMD special edition cards and all the artwork will be of the pokemon's sprites from ORAS but with beams of light coming from them that match their type, ie yellow for pikachu.

Crimzonlogic

I'm Batwoman.
I'd like to see the old base set artwork on new modern-style cards. They should make the attacks better to compete with modern cards, though. Or maybe these will be totally new cards, but with the original base set holographic star foil pattern on the holos? That would be niiiice. I'm really curious about what this will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.