Help Rules for cutting you're deck after opponent shuffles?

viprit77

Aspiring Trainer
So the rules describe two types of randomization. Standard face down cut and shuffle. It says opponent may choose to shuffle your deck instead of cut. If so, you may do a normal face down cut on your deck afterwards. Otherwise, tech news free netflix android 9
if the opponent does a normal cut, then you can't cut you're own deck afterwards.

An opponent tried to get around this by shuffling my deck. Then, doing a face down cut. Claiming the owner now can't do a face down cut. I didn't think this made any sense. Since I interpreted it as the opponent still shuffle during his randomization.

Last edited:
This is answered in the TCG Rules and Formats document in chapter 7:
After the shuffle, the deck must be offered to the player’s opponent to be cut once. Cutting
the deck consists of creating two separate stacks of cards by removing a portion of the top of
the deck, and then placing it under the remaining portion. Players should take care to not
reveal any of their opponent’s cards while cutting. Cutting into more than two stacks is
considered a shuffle.

Instead of cutting, the opponent may choose to shuffle the deck. This shuffle should be brief,
and when it concludes, the deck’s owner is allowed to cut the deck once as described above.
Players should take care when shuffling an opponent’s deck, as the cards in that deck are not
the shuffling player’s property. At this point, the deck should be sufficiently randomized to
both players’ satisfaction.

(Bold added.)

Your opponent is free to shuffle and cut however they wish, within limitations of 'brief'. Any action _other_ than a single cut is considered a shuffle (note the end of paragraph 1). Then you _must_ be permitted to cut once yourself (again, just once, in two piles).

If this comes up at a tournament, please call a judge for clarity - that's why they are there.

Back