{RU} Fear My Wrath

NidoJosh

Fiat Lux
FearmyWrath.png

Banner made by yours truly

Introduction

Well a while ago I gave up on the OU Metagame. It really lost its appeal to me any more due to the abundance of weather. So I then decided to move onto another tier.
I spent a lot of time actually seeing which one appealed to me. I was contemplating mainly between either NU or RU and decided to have a shot with the latter due to probably a bit more diversity in that tier.

So anyway I set away, reading the limited RMT's posted on sites, mainly Smogon to try get a feel about what a good team looks like, as well as reading some RU analyses.
I also took to YouTube to watch RU teams in action.

After setting up a rough first team and getting ploughed through by opponents, I knew I still had to work a lot more with practical means than theory-based. This team has had quite a lot of changes to fit my play style. But right now I am rather happy with how it plays. So without further ado, let me introduce you to the team!

At A Glance
[icon]62[/icon][icon]597[/icon][icon]244[/icon]
479-m.png
[icon]430[/icon][icon]344[/icon]​

Team Building Process

So as I said, this team has changed quite a lot, and ended up almost COMPLETELY different. I started off with the ever present Honchkrow. Honchkrow can turn into a great sweeper and it's usage is well deserved
430.png

The next pokemon added was another friendly face seen in RU. The king of Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin in RU, Claydol.
430.png
344.png

Next I threw in Druddigon due to its access to an amazingly powerful Outrage due to STAB and Choice Band
430.png
344.png
621.png

Clefable was then added in order to add some much needed Wish and Heal Bell support in order to allow my other pokemon to last longer.
430.png
344.png
621.png
36.png

I realised that now my pokemon team required a strong special attacker to threaten the other side of the attacking spectrum. I added Accelgor in order to provide some spikes support as well as being able to counter threats such as Moltres and Claydol.
430.png
344.png
621.png
36.png
617.png

The final member of my team was Bulk Up Gallade. Gallade can easily set up on a lot of pokemon and set up bulk up and turns into a real offensive powerhouse with Drain Punch and priority Shadow Sneak.
430.png
344.png
621.png
36.png
617.png
475.png

So after testing this team, I wasn't having too much success. So the next round of changes resulted in half the team being swapped out. The new inductions included the changing of Druddigon for CB Entei who had more speed than Drudd and had access to STAB Flare Blitz. Gallade was swapped out for Poliwrath who countered pokemon trying to set up on me, as well as my Gligar threat. Finally, Accelgor was replaced for one of the better walls in the game, Cofagrigus who crippled physical attackers and stopped rapid spin

430.png
344.png
244.png
36.png
563.png
62.png

This team was working much better than my previously made team. However it still lacked much of an answer to Bulk Up Poliwrath and other bulky waters, and lacked a strong special attacker. So in to the team came Rotom-C. Clefable wasn't working out too well either and kept getting set up on easily. So I swapped Clefable in for Eviolite Ferroseed who can set up spikes and still threaten set up pokemon.

430.png
344.png
244.png
597.png
500.png
62.png

Pokemon Analysis

front.png
PoliSwag (Poliwrath) @ Leftovers
Ability:Water Absorb

EVs: 252 HP / 68 Atk / 188 Def

Nature:Impish
Moves:

~ Waterfall
~ Substitute
~ Ice Punch
~ Circle Throw

Poliwrath is one of my favourite pokemon on this team. What I loved about using him most is reminding me ages ago when I first played Fire Red and had one. I hadn't used one since till now!
So what this Poliwrath does is counter Gligar and the ever so present fire types in the tier such as Entei, Moltres and Magmortar. I found this set on another RMT but changed Toxic to Substitute. This allows me to use Circle Throw more freely and to block potential status inducers trying to cripple Poliwrath.
So Circle Throw allows me to counter pokemon who hope to set up and phaze them away. Coupled with Stealth Rock and Spikes support, this can prove quite a successful tactic. Waterfall provides a powerful STAB move and Ice Punch adds more coverage for grass types and the common Honchkrow.

Possible Changes
I was thinking about maybe putting in Bulk Up over Ice Punch. But I don't think its really needed with the Circle Throw + Hazards combo.
I was also thinking maybe about switching Circle Throw for possibly Focus Punch? But I doubt I will because Circle Throw has won me many games and surprise pokemon who see the substitute and expect a focus punch, instead they just get phazed away.

597.png
Fe - 26 (Ferroseed) @ Eviolite
Ability:Iron Barbs

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef

Nature:Relaxed
Moves:

~ Spikes
~ Leech Seed
~ Thunder Wave
~ Gyro Ball

Ferroseed, like his evolution in the higher tiers provides excellent support to teams in RU. With access to Spikes and Eviolite, Ferroseed is almost always guaranteed to set up a few layers. Thunder Wave can easily cripple faster sweepers hoping to set up on Ferroseed and Leech Seed can help recover some health and also hurt set up sweepers while setting up. Gyro Ball can provide some extra damage where needed.

Possible Changes
None at the moment

front.png
BURN IT NAO! (Entei) @ Choice Band
Ability:Pressure

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd

Nature:Adamant
Moves:

~ Flare Blitz
~ ExtremeSpeed
~ Stone Edge
~ Iron Head
Entei is one of the most commonly seen pokemon in the tier. And after using him, I can see why. A Choice Banded STAB Flare Blitz can OHKO a lot of pokemon in the Tier. Combined with strong priority in ExtremeSpeed and Stone Edge for coverage, Entei proves very hard to switch in for many pokemon. Iron Head is filler and I have yet to actually use the move.
I have started with Entei first in many games and just Flare Blitzed my way through many teams without a viable counter. True he doesn't last long in battle but he takes down even more pokemon down with him.
Possible Changes
I was considering Life Orb so Entei can use different moves but I feel that the Choice Band is still superior. Not much can handle his attacks anyway.

479-m.png
Voltergeist (Rotom-C) @ Choice Scarf
Ability:Levitate

EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd

Nature:Timid
Moves:

~ Volt Switch
~ Leaf Storm
~ Hidden Power [Fire]
~ Trick

Rotom-C is the premier special attacker of this team. Rotom-C plays almost the same role as his cousin in OU. Volt Switch provides and excellent STAB move when coupled with Specs and allows me to scout the the opponents team and get some momentum in the match. Leaf Tornado adds another powerful STAB move so I don't get walled by ground types, namely Claydol. Hidden Power [Fire] provides some extra coverage to hit other grass types hard, as well as hitting Steels harder. Trick is to mess with walls such as Munchlax and Miltank.

I chose specs over scarf namely due to already having two priority users in Entei and Honchkrow, to handle weakened pokemon and allowing the Krow to potentially get a Moxie Boost.

Possible Changes

I was considering changing Rotom-C for an Accelgor again. He has a real offensive presence anywhere. Although maybe a scarf will be a good replacement. I'm not entirely sure though :l

front.png
BossKrow (Honchkrow) @ Life Orb
Ability:Moxie

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def/ 252 Spd

Nature:Adamant
Moves:

~ Brave Bird
~ Roost
~ Substitute
~ Sucker Punch
Honchkrow is the most used pokemon in the Tier, and for good reason. With powerful STAB moves in Brave Bird and priority Sucker Punch coupled with Life Orb, he proves to be an offensive powerhouse. Honchkrow can set up on a weakened or resisted pokemon and get a substitute up. After just one KO, he can prove to be very hard to take down with Moxie Boost and can recover lost health with Roost later on.
Once Honchkrow gets going, he proves impossible to stop due to his boosted Sucker Punch.

Possible Changes
None

front.png
Shanaynaydol (Claydol) @ Leftovers
Ability:Levitate

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk

Nature:Bold
Moves:
~ Rapid Spin
~ Stealth Rock
~ Earth Power
~ Toxic​

Claydol is the third most used pokemon in this tier, due to it having the title of being the best pokemon able to both set up stealth rocks, and clear hazards in the field. Claydol can cripple walls with Toxic and do some damage with Earth Power.
Claydol's main role is trying to keep a clear field for Entei to wreak havoc. Without any form of recovery, Entei needs as much health as possible, and losing a whole lot to Stealth Rock is not helping at all.

Possible Changes
I was considering changing Claydol for an offensive spinner like Hitmonchan and adding in a new Stealth Rocker but I'm not sure at the moment

Threat List
dpiconani430.gif
Honchkrow is very fragile so if I get a direct shot from either Entei, Rotom-C or Poliwrath, he is pretty much gone. Hoperfully I get a Thunder Wave on Honchkrow to make life a lot easier.
dpiconani244.gif
Entei has the ability to decimate any team it faces. Poliwrath is my best choice switch in to Entei where I will either Phaze away or attack with Waterfall, depending on whether I have hazards up.
dpiconani208.gif
- Steelix in general isn't much of a problem except for the ability to set up Stealth Rock. He can be taken out with Entei and Poliwrath with relative ease.
dpiconani211.gif
To be honest I can't remember facing one of these yet. Qwilfish is really only useful for setting up spikes and toxic spikes, but he can be defeated quite easily with Rotom C and is walled completely by Ferroseed.
dpiconani319.gif
Rotom-C can handle Sharpedo with his powerful super effective moves or Poliwrath can take anything Sharpedo throws out.
dpiconani342.gif
Poliwrath is my usual switch in, being able to resist both his stabs. Crawdaunt's often Dragon Dance on the first move and can then be phazed away with a super effective Circle Throw.
dpiconani344.gif
Claydol can be a hassle to take down. Although he can be taken down with either Rotom-C or Poliwrath, he often is switched out immediately.
dpiconani346.gif
Cradily can sometimes be a pain, especially the Curse Sets. Sets not carrying rock slide can be destroyed by Entei, and sets lacking Seed Bomb can be taken out by Poliwrath.
dpiconani277.gif
Although not very common in RU, he can still be quite a handful due to guts. Ferroseed is normally a safe switch in, adding extra hurt to Swellow's brave bird recoil with iron barbs. He can be revenged with either Entei or Honchkrow as well.
dpiconani324.gif
Poliwrath is the go to man on this occasion.
dpiconani241.gif
Miltank isn't much of a problem. Curse sets can be phazed with a super effective Circle Throw from Poliwrath or just gets hit hard by Entei.
dpiconani463.gif
Much the same as Miltank and other walls, phazing or hitting hard is the way to handle it.
dpiconani452.gif
Ferroseed can take anything Drapion throws out.
dpiconani466.gif
It really depends on the Electivire I'm facing but Claydol is often a safe switch in. If he proves threatening I may just switch in Entei to rid of him quickly.
dpiconani475.gif
Bulk Up gallade is almost always a pain to face. I'd probably send in Poliwrath to try phaze away Gallade and his boosts and resist his STAB Drain Punch. Although there really isn't too much else to do except for sacrificing a pokemon.
bwiconani549.gif
Qresults in my Entei or Honchkrow being able to decimate Lilligant with ease.
bwiconani563.gif
How I loathe facing Cofagrigus.. Entei will probably be my best initial switch in, due to almost all Cofagrigus' Will-o-Wisping on the first move. Depending on the health of Cofagrigus, Honchkrow can Sucker Punch Cofagrigus and get the Moxie Boost.
bwiconani578.gif
Duosion can sometimes be a major pain, especially on TR teams. Honchkrow should be able to pick off at Duosion with Sucker Punch and get that relished Moxie Boost
bwiconani596.gif

I haven't versed Galvantula very often but sometimes he can be very painful to verse. I don't have many safe switch ins at all. Choice sets are much easier to pick off and the suitable pokemon should be switched in according to the move. The life orb version can be taken out due to its horrible defences.
bwiconani597.gif
Entei is my best bet against this pokemon and if weakened, Honchkrow is a sure switch in to nab an easy Moxie Boost.
bwiconani601.gif
Klinklang can be walled quite easily by Ferroseed. Although sets with out a substitute can be switched in and destroyed by Entei.
bwiconani621.gif
Choice Banded Druddigon can be switched on by Ferroseed, taking the Outrage's comfortably. Druddigon is amazingly slow and can be taken out with Entei's Flare Blitz if needed and can be revenged when weakened by entry hazards.
dpiconani146.gif
Stealth Rock is Moltres' best counter. So long as rocks remain up, Moltres does not prove much of a threat. Poliwrath can also blast Moltres away Moltres with a powerful Waterfall.
bwiconani618.gif
Rotom-C can own Stunfisk with a powerful Leaf Tornado with out too much hassle.
bwiconani617.gif
Accelgor causes me some issues. I really need to get paralysis on this guy because he outruns many of my pokemon with the potential to take him out like Honchkrow and Entei.
dpiconani062.gif
Rotom-C is my best bet against Poliwrath. Although on some occasions I have just switched in Poliwrath, resisted the attack and just phazed him away.

Closing
Well this is my first real attempt at making a team outside of the OU tier. Due to the lack of RU players, it was quite difficult to find opponents and so I haven't had as many games as I would have liked. This tier has been a lot of fun playing and its good to play with some old favourites.

Thanks for the taking the time for reading my RMT and I hope it inspires you guys to give the lower tiers a shot ^.^

Professor Palutena

The Queen
This RMT is beautiful. Amazing presentation and quality. I love it!

Choice Scarf would be a good item to consider for Rotom-C, because your team lacks a revenge killer.

NidoJosh

Fiat Lux
Bippa said:
This RMT is beautiful. Amazing presentation and quality. I love it!

Choice Scarf would be a good item to consider for Rotom-C, because your team lacks a revenge killer.

Thanks so much for the comment!
I'm testing the scarf variant at the moment

Complexy990

Rawr
What exactly is hp grass hitting on entei?
Also I suggest protect on ferroseed, T-wave isn't really that useful, especially because you're trying to hit things with gyro ball anyway, and protect is really needed for recovery in the form of leech seed and to block many of the incoming hi jump kicks from hitmonlee and medicham.

And, it's more personal preference, but I tend to run ice beam/earth power on claydol over toxic, it gives you really good coverage, but if you are running toxic I would suggest ice beam.

Awesome team though c:, I love RU.

Minor nitpicks: Why do you have 4 EVs in Spatck on Honch? xD It should be 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe, which will give you /way/ more chances to get that moxie boost you need. Just because you have sucker punch doesn't mean you don't need speed, choosing where to use brave bird over sucker punch is half the battle, and it's crucial to get up the sub quickly to block incoming statuses.

And I think maybe you should try scarf on rotom? Sucker punch is questionable priority at best, and I think your team does lack a bit of speed.

NidoJosh

Fiat Lux
Complexy990 said:
What exactly is hp grass hitting on entei?
Also I suggest protect on ferroseed, T-wave isn't really that useful, especially because you're trying to hit things with gyro ball anyway, and protect is really needed for recovery in the form of leech seed and to block many of the incoming hi jump kicks from hitmonlee and medicham.

And, it's more personal preference, but I tend to run ice beam/earth power on claydol over toxic, it gives you really good coverage, but if you are running toxic I would suggest ice beam.

Awesome team though c:, I love RU.

Minor nitpicks: Why do you have 4 EVs in Spatck on Honch? xD It should be 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe, which will give you /way/ more chances to get that moxie boost you need. Just because you have sucker punch doesn't mean you don't need speed, choosing where to use brave bird over sucker punch is half the battle, and it's crucial to get up the sub quickly to block incoming statuses.

And I think maybe you should try scarf on rotom? Sucker punch is questionable priority at best, and I think your team does lack a bit of speed.

Hey thanks for this!
Yeah I have no idea why Hidden Power Grass is there. Think I made an error.
I explained in the explanation Iron Head so that's just weird aha.
I see what you mean with the protect but t-wave has helped me out so much against potent sweepers like hitting Ferraligatr and the like. I see the reasoning behind the protect though. I'll test it out ^.^

Would you mind explaining to me the advantages of Ice Beam over Toxic?
Like Claydol isn't exactly the hardest hitter in the world so just wanting to know ;)

Also spd stands for speed in this case haha. It was part of the export so that's how they formatted it.So yeah Honch has max speed ^.^ And ugh I think I put in another error when putting EVs in teambuilder so I'll change that straight away aha.

Also yeah I think that the Scarf variant works pretty good and I think I'm content with it.
Changing the OP with the changes ^.^

Thanks for the comment!