Rowlet, Litten, Popplio from the Alola Region!

Um...Chespin was a chipmunk/armadilli thing lol.

Now, if you had said prehistoric animals, then it might make sense because Chesnaught has qualities similar to giant armadillos and glyptodonts. But there's no dinosaur in it.

And besides, the final evo hasn't been released, and believe me when I say prehistoric megafauna birds were a thing - including a 3 foot tall owl.
not going to lie, i actually researched a prehistoric bird owl lol.

Just came to drop by again.

I took some thought with my original speculation about Litten hopefully being a Fire/Rock Pokémon, but after seeing comments about the alchemy symbol also referring to Brimstone, as in its hellish representations, I'm starting to feel alright with a possible Fire/Dark type as many people speculate. I came to this conclusion because I remembered that tigers in nature are natural ambush predators, which can fit pretty good with the Dark type symbolism. Furthermore, Tigers, if Litten becomes one at all, are also solitary by nature, which goes well with Litten's personality of not showing its emotions. Adding to this, they're lone hunters and are thought to hunt the most during the night, again a reference to the Dark-type. Combined with the common brimstone associations to hell, as well the reference to the volcanic substance of the same name, I can imagine a Fire/Dark type evo in the vein of being a black volcanic tiger whose black fur could reference to obsidian - black glass made of cooled hardened lava/magma.

In short, I have realized that if Litten does evolve into a Fire/Dark type, it can still keep its volcanic theme without being a obvious Fire/Rock type. After all, in most fiction, Hell often gets pictured with volcanoes as well. With that said, consider me a supporter for the Fire/Dark type too, but this doesn't mean I'm straying off my original speculation of Fire/Rock. In other words, I will be cool with either Fire/Rock or Fire/Dark.

timba_the_lava_tiger_by_azany-d9mub89.jpg
Another argument for Litten will be fire/dark. Maybe starters type will be choosen as counter for previos generation starters: Chesnaught(grass/fighting)-Rowlet(grass/flying); Delphox(fire/psyсhc)-Litten(fire/dark); Greninja(water/dark)-Popplio(water/fighting)

Another argument for Litten will be fire/dark. Maybe starters type will be choosen as counter for previos generation starters: Chesnaught(grass/fighting)-Rowlet(grass/flying); Delphox(fire/psyсhc)-Litten(fire/dark); Greninja(water/dark)-Popplio(water/fighting)
Litten could still be a Ghost type or Bug haha because its super effective against Psychic, but Bug is not going to happen xD.

And for Popplio it also could be a Fairy type. It also super effective against Dark. So its not really convincing that Litten will be a Fire/Dark or Popplio will be a Water/Fight.. I guess we have to wait.

Litten could still be a Ghost type or Bug haha because its super effective against Psychic, but Bug is not going to happen xD.

And for Popplio it also could be a Fairy type. It also super effective against Dark. So its not really convincing that Litten will be a Fire/Dark or Popplio will be a Water/Fight.. I guess we have to wait.
Reason why Popplio have high chance be a water/fighting, its because his pokedex entry "Popplio’s swimming speed is known to exceed 25 mph;perform acrobatic stunts and jumps;both frivolous and hard-working;it can usually be found practicing hard on its balloon skills". Look closer to fighting type rather than fairy. Also funny, do you remember any other pokemon with that type of nose:534.png

Reason why Popplio have high chance be a water/fighting, its because his pokedex entry "Popplio’s swimming speed is known to exceed 25 mph;perform acrobatic stunts and jumps;both frivolous and hard-working;it can usually be found practicing hard on its balloon skills". Look closer to fighting type rather than fairy. Also funny, do you remember any other pokemon with that type of nose:View attachment 10629
True story haha, but I hope not for a Water/Fight but we will see eventually. :)

Water/Fighting would be an all right combination for Popplio, but I'd prefer Water/Fairy. Fairy is still fairly new and novel so it would stand out a lot more, and it would get a lot of attention for being the first starter to have the new type.

Water/Fighting would be an all right combination for Popplio, but I'd prefer Water/Fairy. Fairy is still fairly new and novel so it would stand out a lot more, and it would get a lot of attention for being the first starter to have the new type.
Water/Psychic could fit Popplio's circus theme pretty well.
"I'm an acrobat that moves things with my MINNNNNNND!"
Just imagine a giant blue sea lion with flying pink spheres all around it. Maybe it could have a special attack where it fires them at the opponent.~

New theory up around Litten. I did some more research around the Fire Cat starter, and came across some interesting stuff:

First off, going from its physical description and how it behaves in battle:

"Litten can attack with flaming hairballs! Its fur is rich in oils and immensely flammable. Litten grooms itself by licking its fur, and then uses the collected fur as fuel for fireball attacks!"

The term "oil" is heavily referenced here, and based on this, a lot of people pull the guess that this might lead to Litten becoming a Fire/Poison type. However, I tend to think differently about this. What if Litten's oil, as well Litten's black fur, instead refers to Petroleum? Petroleum is a oil that's derived from fossil fuels, such as coal, and from geological formations underneath the Earth's surface. Also, Petroleum is flammable, so Litten's fur could be made of petroleum. In essence, Litten is licking the petroleum fur and uses it as fuel for fireball attacks, just exactly as how its description states.

In turn, there have been people speaking of the whole "brimstone/sulfur" symbol that its forehead markings and eyes are speculated to form. The most common idea I have seen been thrown around on the internet is that the symbol refers to the Leviathan's Cross. However, if one ignores the whole "Leviathan's Cross" and its hellish symbolism, and instead goes on a scientific route, its found that both coal and petroleum just so happen to include sulfur as one of their elements in their overall make up.

In addition to this, I also believe that the name "Litten" isn't just derived from "Lit" "Little" and "Kitten", but also from the word "Litter", as in kitty litter. Going further into that, namely the clumping variant of kitty litter, it just so happens that this variant of litter is made of the mineral known as Bentonite, which in turn is made/formed from volcanic ash when exposed to water. Betonite in turn also seems to have some relation to coal, once again going back to the petroleum part.

All of this combined, leads me to believe that Litten is going to become a Fire/Ground, or a Fire/Rock type, but there is also a possiblity for Fire/Poison, although the many earthen themes and references leave me to believe otherwise. If this is true, each of the starters may ironically represent the three elemental layers of nature, that being:

Rowlet - Air
Litten - Land
Popplio - Sea

Here are my references that led to make my theory:

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal
2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum
3. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfur
4. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentonite

That all said, this is all just a idea and speculation of mine and in no ways true or fact. For a speculation, however, I think its pretty great.

Last edited:
New theory up around Litten. I did some more research around the Fire Cat starter, and came across some interesting stuff:

First off, going from its physical description and how it behaves in battle:

"Litten can attack with flaming hairballs! Its fur is rich in oils and immensely flammable. Litten grooms itself by licking its fur, and then uses the collected fur as fuel for fireball attacks!"

The term "oil" is heavily referenced here, and based on this, a lot of people pull the guess that this might lead to Litten becoming a Fire/Poison type. However, I tend to think differently about this. What if Litten's oil, as well Litten's black fur, instead refers to Petroleum? Petroleum is a oil that's derived from fossil fuels, such as coal, and from geological formations underneath the Earth's surface. Also, Petroleum is flammable, so Litten's fur could be made of petroleum. In essence, Litten is licking the petroleum fur and uses it as fuel for fireball attacks, just exactly as how its description states.

In turn, there have been people speaking of the whole "brimstone/sulfur" symbol that its forehead markings and eyes are speculated to form. The most common idea I have seen been thrown around on the internet is that the symbol refers to the Leviathan's Cross. However, if one ignores the whole "Leviathan's Cross" and its hellish symbolism, and instead goes on a scientific route, its found that both coal and petroleum just so happen to include sulfur as one of their elements in their overall make up.

In addition to this, I also believe that the name "Litten" isn't just derived from "Lit" "Little" and "Kitten", but also from the word "Litter", as in kitty litter. Going further into that, namely the clumping variant of kitty litter, it just so happens that this variant of litter is made of the mineral known as Bentonite, which in turn is made/formed from volcanic ash when exposed to water. Betonite in turn also seems to have some relation to coal, once again going back to the petroleum part.

All of this combined, leads me to believe that Litten is going to become a Fire/Ground type, but there is also a possiblity for Fire/Poison, although the many earthen themes and references leave me to believe otherwise. Also, the japanese site for Pokémon Sun and Moon have uploaded type icons that are speculated to be part of the starters as shown below on the video here.

This video leads me to believe that, if the starters are all going to be dual types in one way or another, we might get the following:

Rowlet - Grass/Flying (stays through all its evos)
Litten - Fire/Ground (starting from its first evo, or its second/final evolution)
Popplio - Water/Fighting (starting from its first evo, or its second/final evolution)

If this is true, each of the starters may also ironically represent the three elemental layers of nature, that being:

Rowlet - Air
Litten - Land
Popplio - Sea

Here are my references that led to make my theory:

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal
2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum
3. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfur
4. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentonite

That all said, this is all just a idea and speculation of mine. For a speculation, however, I think its pretty great.

I love all the thought you put into this; however, I see just one slight flaw to the fire/ground typing. The problem being Rowlet's major advantage, even against Litten's line. If Litten becomes ground, that typing is basically useless against Rowlet's line being as though its flying type is immune to ground. Fire/Rock would make more sense here to keep with the typing triangles, which I think someone else mentioned earlier.

I personally don't think there will be another type triangle with secondary types. I'm also not entirely convinced that each final evo will even have a second typing. But if I were to throw out secondary typing guesses, I'd like Fire/Poison and Water/Fairy, but then that would give Litten the major advantage in the fact that its fire and poison is good against Rowlet and its poison is good against Popplio's line. So, even though a fire/poison would be awesome, it has too much of advantage in the event that Popplio ends up part fairy.

Like I said though, I don't think there will be secondary typing for all three starters. It convolutes the original type triangle advantage by adding in secondary types that will either give one starter a major advantage or another starter a major disadvantage. If they do Fire/Dark, Grass/Flying, and pure Water then it may seem fair, which is what my final answer will be.

So much speculation!!

Also wanted to edit to add: we are all assuming Rowlet will remain flying type. While I think it is highly likely that he will stay flying, it isn't a guarantee. Scyther goes from Bug/Flying to Scizor's Bug/Steel even though it still has wings. So, Rowlet may get a different secondary typing as it evolves, even though that seems unlikely.

Last edited:
I love all the thought you put into this; however, I see just one slight flaw to the fire/ground typing. The problem being Rowlet's major advantage, even against Litten's line. If Litten becomes ground, that typing is basically useless against Rowlet's line being as though its flying type is immune to ground. Fire/Rock would make more sense here to keep with the typing triangles, which I think someone else mentioned earlier.

I personally don't think there will be another type triangle with secondary types. I'm also not entirely convinced that each final evo will even have a second typing. But if I were to throw out secondary typing guesses, I'd like Fire/Poison and Water/Fairy, but then that would give Litten the major advantage in the fact that its fire and poison is good against Rowlet and its poison is good against Popplio's line. So, even though a fire/poison would be awesome, it has too much of advantage in the event that Popplio ends up part fairy.

Like I said though, I don't think there will be secondary typing for all three starters. It convolutes the original type triangle advantage by adding in secondary types that will either give one starter a major advantage or another starter a major disadvantage. If they do Fire/Dark, Grass/Flying, and pure Water then it may seem fair, which is what my final answer will be.

So much speculation!!

Fair enough, and thanks for the compliment. Glad you like it. As for the Grass/Flying and possible Fire/Ground relation, yeah, its true Fire/Ground on itself can't do much against Flying, and it makes more sense to have Litten be a Fire/Rock type, but Grass is still weak towards the Fire half of the possible Fire/Ground typing. Adding to that, Flying has no resistance against Fire either. There's also the option for Fire/Ground types to learn Rock-type moves to make up for the disadvantage from Grass/Flying, as Grass doesn't provide a resistance against Rock-type attacks. That is why Ground is such a versatile type on its on, despite its weaknesses to Water, Grass and Ice. Besides a auto-immunity against Electric is always welcome with the Ground type.

Then again, we did have Empoleon, which took away the Piplup line's resistance to Fire. :p

I think gen 6 was the only gen with a perfect relation of the secondary type.

Yep. None of the other generations had a secondary type triangle.

Gen 1: Venusaur and Charizard's secondary types do normal damage against each other (Poison and Flying), and Blastoise doesn't even have a secondary type
Gen 2: None of the starters have secondary types
Gen 3: Sceptile has no secondary type, and Blaziken and Swampert's do normal damage against each other (Fighting and Ground)
Gen 4: Torterra and Infernape's secondary types (Ground and Fighting) are SE against Empoleon's (Steel), and do normal damage against each other
Gen 5: Only Emboar has a secondary type (Fighting)

In most starter trios the secondary types (if there are any) are unrelated, Gen 4 is the only one where the secondary types are actually related, and in that group Torterra and Infernape both have an advantage over Empoleon, so it's not a type triangle.

Anyway, back on topic. I doubt they'll put too much thought into balancing the secondary types as long as the primary type triangle remains intact. The problem I have with Grass/Flying vs. Fire/Ground is less that you can't use Ground type moves against Rowlet's final form, but that Litten's final form would only take normal damage against Grass. Beyond that, it's fine.

Last edited:
I'm just gonna leave this here... Don't know anything about it, but saw it on Facebook...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 28
I'm just gonna leave this here... Don't know anything about it, but saw it on Facebook...

Those evolution chains look good for the starters, but these are very likely fake, mainly because all of them have Mega Evolutions from the start. Brand new Pokémon, especially from a brand new Gen never get Mega Evolutions. The more older known Pokémon get it first. That and Mega Evolution is still yet a brand new mechanic that needs its lore expanded.

Yeah, those will all be fakemon based on the starters. You can see the watermark of the artist in the top right corner. :p

Those evolution chains look good for the starters, but these are very likely fake, mainly because all of them have Mega Evolutions from the start. Brand new Pokémon, especially from a brand new Gen never get Mega Evolutions. The more older known Pokémon get it first. That and Mega Evolution is still yet a brand new mechanic that needs its lore expanded.

Mega evolution has only been around for 1 generation, so to say that brand new Pokemon from a brand new gen NEVER get Mega Evolutions--while as of now is accurate--can't be taken as true fact since there's such a small sample size of 1. There's no telling what will be done with these new Pokemon. But, I do agree that these starters will likely not get Megas, and I do believe those images are just fan made art. I wouldn't mind if they did get megas though...

Back