Rowlet, Litten, Popplio from the Alola Region!

Nahiri

Never gonna be President now
Oh my God. Rowlet is adorable. It's a BARN OWL with a BOWTIE ohhhh my God. I'm so hype. November can't get here fast enough.

Envelion

Aspiring Trainer
Gotta say, I was feeling mighty bummed when I saw all of these this morning. Rowlet is the most interesting design, but as far as shape design goes, it's the worst of any grass starter. Such little effort put in.

All that being said, I appreciate the positivity from you guys, makes me feel a little better. :]

professorlight

Ice Queen
Ugh, after those wonderful logos, these designs are like a punch at the solar plexus; they just took away all my enthusiasm in one fell swoop.

Seriously, those starters are simply horrid; they look like fakemon, and not good ones; and don't get me started on SaberLeomon and Skeletor Gligar; I had such high hopes for moon in particular, after Cresselia.

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
This is a gigantic assumption out of literally nowhere as this was just a mere trailer similar to XY's trailer. There's no proof whatsoever for this until we have the game and played it ourselves, and/or leaks spoil it for you. We don't even know what the game has to offer aside its region, the starters and the said legends. Until then, making assumptions like this is just crazy, but that's just me.

Sure, it's a gigantic assumption but did you see anything in the trailer that made you think this generation might connect to the previous one? Cause I didn't... All I saw is them moving forward and hoping we forget about XY...
It's like I said, if the new region was based on another European country, it would make sense to expect that, just like Johto and Kanto were connected both in-game and in real life. As it is, I find it highly unlikely... But yes, I hope I'm wrong...

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
I have to say, none of the starters or legendaries particularly impressed me at first look, although I am slowly warming up to them. Rowlet and Popplio are tying for my favourite of the starters based on their first forms, although I'll wait to see their evolutions before I pass judgement on them as a whole (I remember I was a pretty big fan of Fennekin when it was first revealed, although I was fairly disappointed with Delphox). Litten isn't too bad, although it's not really impressed me as of yet.

Onto the legendaries; as it stands I'm not a huge fan of Solgaleo, from a glance it's just giving me a recoloured-Pyroar-with-some-improvements-on-design vibe. It looks like it's gonna be a Fire type as well which won't help with Pyroar comparisons, although I'm not sure on any secondary type, although Fairy might work?
Lunaala (which despite looking like Mega Salamence and Noivern's love child decorated by Olympia) is probably my preferred one of the two, although I can't help but wish it had more of a tail or some kind of lower body. It's typing could really go any way between Fairy, Psychic, Dark. Maybe we're getting a type/Fairy legendary duo/trio this time around?
I do love the starry patch on both of their heads though.

The region however is looking pretty good, from what's in the trailer it looks like it's gonna be a cool place, can't wait to see more of the individual towns/cities/landmarks.

G-Panthera

Panthera's Fiercest Fighter
Sure, it's a gigantic assumption but did you see anything in the trailer that made you think this generation might connect to the previous one? Cause I didn't... All I saw is them moving forward and hoping we forget about XY...
It's like I said, if the new region was based on another European country, it would make sense to expect that, just like Johto and Kanto were connected both in-game and in real life. As it is, I find it highly unlikely... But yes, I hope I'm wrong...

Well, its a long pull, but the Bat Legendary looks very similar to Olympia, the Psychic Gym Leader from Gen 6. Just go ahead and compare them. There's also the stuff of the Backpacker in Gen 6 hinting to a new Region and hyping it up like none before. No other game has ever done that. Not Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 3, Gen 4, and Gen 5. Gen 6 is the only one that has pulled off this clue. In addition, there has been a mention of a "Moondial", as opposed to the "Sundial" in Gen 6. There's the stuff that Zygarde's cores are powered by sunlight, etc, etc. There's a lot of clues scattered in Gen 6 relating to Gen 7.

I'm just saying that this was just the first trailer for the new games. So of course, its not going to be blantly obvious whether its going to be connected to Gen 6 or not. Its too early to rule anything out for now. This was just the introduction phase and the games aren't set to release until 18 and 23 November. So there's still plenty of time to get more hints if there's any to get.

Hackzo23

Nerd? i prefer the term, intellectual badass
There are two things that make me think it connects to XY.
1. The main character looks an awful like the main character from XY. In my previous comment I mention how this new region could be a vacation spot you go to and when you've beaten the region you go back to Kalos. (It kinda reminds me of the Orange Islands almost. Which would be cool, only have 6 gym leaders but have them stronger since there are fewer of them. Would make since since hawaii is so small.)
and 2. The trainer customization. Back when ORAS was released people were bummed that there was no trainer customization. And I believe it was Junichi Masada who said he wanted to keep trainer customization to Kalos. And now that we have it again in this game theres a really good chance were going back to Kalos.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
There are two things that make me think it connects to XY.
1. The main character looks an awful like the main character from XY. In my previous comment I mention how this new region could be a vacation spot you go to and when you've beaten the region you go back to Kalos. (It kinda reminds me of the Orange Islands almost. Which would be cool, only have 6 gym leaders but have them stronger since there are fewer of them. Would make since since hawaii is so small.)
and 2. The trainer customization. Back when ORAS was released people were bummed that there was no trainer customization. And I believe it was Junichi Masada who said he wanted to keep trainer customization to Kalos. And now that we have it again in this game theres a really good chance were going back to Kalos.

This new region to me, reminds me of the Sevii Islands from Kanto. But, I think this region shouldn't be too far from Kalos. It may be based off of Hawaii, but it could also have it's European slant by being an island chain based off the Mediterranean.

The latter would help out the Kalos sequel since it would be the region to its immediate south (or in this case it would be southeast).

Casty

Aspiring Trainer
Hate to be "that person" with everyone being hyped about the big reveal and all, but pretty much everything I saw today except for the return of character customisation and Grass and Fire starters has been a disappointment. The water seal is seriously disgusting with the way it plays with bubbles made out of its snot (Cubchoo anyone?). Legendaries and boxarts are both terrible compared to XY and even ORAS. In fact, I hate the design of the Moon legendary so much that I'm going to pick up Sun version now even though I initially settled for Moon. Moving away from Pokemon designs, I don't like the choice of tropical region once again after we literally JUST got out of Hoenn. It seems like a pretty obvious case of reusing assets rather than going with the most interesting idea. Despite it being a new generation, the graphics didn't seem like they've seen much improvent from ORAS (probably due to said recycling of assets). The full character models in overworld are a welcome change, but the colors are still washed out and the battles still suffer from visible framerate drops. Finally I greatly dislike the fact that they're skipping over all the unexplained stuff from previous generation, including Zygarde forms and Eternal Flower Floette. I don't even like the Zygarde forms that much but I feel that not including them in the games sets us up for a dangerous precedent.

Materious17

Pokemon Geologist
Hate to be "that person" with everyone being hyped about the big reveal and all, but pretty much everything I saw today except for the return of character customisation and Grass and Fire starters has been a disappointment. The water seal is seriously disgusting with the way it plays with bubbles made out of its snot (Cubchoo anyone?). Legendaries and boxarts are both terrible compared to XY and even ORAS. In fact, I hate the design of the Moon legendary so much that I'm going to pick up Sun version now even though I initially settled for Moon. Moving away from Pokemon designs, I don't like the choice of tropical region once again after we literally JUST got out of Hoenn. It seems like a pretty obvious case of reusing assets rather than going with the most interesting idea. Despite it being a new generation, the graphics didn't seem like they've seen much improvent from ORAS (probably due to said recycling of assets). The full character models in overworld are a welcome change, but the colors are still washed out and the battles still suffer from visible framerate drops. Finally I greatly dislike the fact that they're skipping over all the unexplained stuff from previous generation, including Zygarde forms and Eternal Flower Floette. I don't even like the Zygarde forms that much but I feel that not including them in the games sets us up for a dangerous precedent.

As with most complaints, there are a lot of assumptions being made based on 2 minutes of trailer designed to show off the starter Pokemon and box arts. There are no indications that they are moving on from X/Y and "ignoring" Zygarde complete forme. For all we know, Pokemon may be moving in a new direction, where cross-generational gaps are explored more like what Gen I and Gen II did way back in the day. As XY was very analogous to Red/Blue, I assume Sun/Moon will be to Gold/Silver. Considering this is the main game they are advertising the 20th anniversary with, going back and having a similar feel to where the games started is the go to move.

So, people who like the news, and people who don't like it, all we can do is wait for more info together, and trust that GameFreak and the Pokemon Company has our backs.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
So, people who like the news, and people who don't like it, all we can do is wait for more info together, and trust that GameFreak and the Pokemon Company has our backs.

GameFreak and The Pokemon Company certainly wouldn't have wasted time creating the Zygarde forms and Eternal Flower Floette and then did nothing with them. We should hopefully get information pertaining to them (at least the Zygarde forms) in the future.

We will most likely see a Kalos sequel, but not until 2017 probably.

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
Back when ORAS was released people were bummed that there was no trainer customization. And I believe it was Junichi Masada who said he wanted to keep trainer customization to Kalos. And now that we have it again in this game theres a really good chance were going back to Kalos.

I may be wrong but wasn't it the other way around, not about keeping customisation to Kalos but having only the classic characters in ORAS?

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Rowlet is super cute. Guess half my team will be birds. I'll be using Rowlet, that other new bird and Pidgey. I hope it doesn't evolve into a humanoid, because if it does, I'm dropping it.