"Road to Humilau!" (S.15 Ep.46) - 1/5/12

Elite Stride

♫ I'm on the road to Viridian City ♫
"Road to Humilau!" (Ep.747) airs in the States today, January 5. I would love to hear what you guys thought about this episode! Please feel free to discuss anything that happened in today's show, from plot twists and the voice acting, to next-episode speculation and what you liked or did not like this week. I will sure be posting my thoughts as soon as I see it (hopefully later today).

This and future threads will now replace discussions in the Best Wishes: Season 2 discussion thread. Thanks for your cooperation!

~ES

RE: "Road to Humilau!" (Ep.747) - 1/5/12

Reserved for errors and dub edits.

This episode aired on the 28th of December in the UK.

RE: "Road to Humilau!" (Ep.747) - 1/5/12

Alright, I apologize for my delayed response on this episode, I've been in the process of moving this weekend and dealing with no easy internet access. But that's all done with now, so lets talk Pokemon.

Sometimes it's kind of hard to pick apart a simple filler episode like this. We know it's just a filler because the episode didn't really contribute anything to the overall plot of the main story (Ash's story)- anyone can feel free to disagree with this! But the impression after watching the episode is that it was pretty much thrown in there to accommodate the fans (myself included) who were waiting to see the progression of the anime into B/W2. We really only saw this transition as soon as Ash went to challenge Roxie for his final gym badge.

That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed it, which is nice because i'm not always happy with the quality of the filler eps. I thought that Marlon's voice acting was excellent as well, it fit his character very nicely. I like Marlon's character in general actually, so I really hope he has some other part in the story (we know he does in the games, but that's not always true for the anime). I'm looking forward to seeing Cameron in the Unova League as well, because I think his character is really fun. He comes off as ignorant or irresponsible sometimes, but the writers have brilliantly made it seem humorous. And of course, the usual cast was acceptable, although I can never really look at Iris the same anymore after a distasteful fan fic that I came across the other day. :rolleyes:

As for the actual gym battle, I'll probably admit that I was expecting a little too much from it. When we witness gym battles, it's usually more intense, suspenseful, and of course with Ash battling. This battle was hardly worth calling exciting and there were a few elements that I didn't particularly enjoy. For example, the fact that Cameron seems to never remember what Pokemon he has available to him (lol), or that Marlon's difficulty seemed under-par (which could have just been because of the generally unexciting battle due to the writers not investing as much into the episode.) And puh-lease can we just talk for a moment about the Mantine that was flying? Are they supposed to do that? Because I've clearly missed something in the last 4 generations. I will say however, that the little charade courtesy of Jellicent via cursed body was priceless. The battle in panorama was entertaining, but slightly disappointing due to the rushed feeling and overall lack of intensity (being Cameron's 8th gym battle) but I really shouldn't complain about that because it's just a filler/side episode after all.

Despite my criticisms, I'm glad they made sure to include this episode. There are elements that occasionally bug me sometimes, but I love every episode regardless of that. What are your guys' thoughts? We'd love to hear it.

Stride, I personally don't think of this episode as a filler, because it has Ash's new rival challenge a Gym battle and it reveals one of his Pokémon.

A filler is any episode that doesn't provide necessary continuity to the main plot. A few of his Pokemon being shown off is hardly essential to the story. Granted, the episode did give audiences the chance to watch just a tiny bit more of Cameron's character development. Other than that, if this episode had not been aired, I don't think it would have really caused any problems with the story besides fans asking why it isn't being included when it's in B/W2. The episode didn't seem to foreshadow anything for an upcoming show either, but if it did, it would be awesome if someone could point that out.

I liked this episode and there hasn't been a lot of episodes lately that I have really enjoyed. Cameron is my favourite rival so far, the rivals like Burgundy and Georgia are really annoying and Stephan isn't bad but not great either.
I liked Marlon in this episode though I wish he could have had more screen time and that he could of had some character development in the episode, I know he's only a Gym Leader but compared to the Diamond & Pearl series none of the Gym Leaders have had much of a character development or really any of the characters in that matter to be honest.
Anyway I'm still going to watch the rest of the Black & White series as I haven't missed an episode yet and I can't wait for the new series starting this year which is Pokemon BW: Adventures in Unova in which will we finally see...
I'm not going to say as it may spoil it for some people but all I have to say is that a lot of the fans of the original series will get a giant dose of nostalgia from it.

Back