RMT of the Month (Congratulations King Arceus!)

Lenny

its back boys and girls
rmt_of_the_month_banner_by_gliscorz-d4ew2n8.png

Credit to Gliscor for the banner

Welcome to RMT (Rate My Team) of the month. RMT of the month is a competition that is determined to find the best RMT on the forums. Each month, members will be able to enter their RMT and have it judged by a group of credible judges. The winner will have his RMT displayed in this thread for everyone to see. And if it’s REALLY good, the RMT may even find itself in the RMT Archive.

Rules:
1. Follow all PokeBeach rules
2. The RMT you submit to the competition MUST BE YOUR OWN CREATION. The judges and I will be checking thoroughly to make sure it is actually your own work.
3. Make sure the thread you are linking me to is the FINAL VERSION of the RMT. If it is a work in progress, it may not be submitted until it is at the final draft.
4. Your RMT must be a thread on PokeBeach.
5. For the first few rounds, you may enter any RMT from any time, but the point of this is to grow as a battler and writer. If you keep posting your work that you had already made a long time ago, it destroys the point. After a few rounds, you will be notified when you must use recently made RMTs.
6. Your RMT may be of any tier. Please use our Official PokeBeach Ban List for more information.
7. To sign up, simply PM me your entry and I will add it to the list of the current round's contestants.

Getting Started:

-If you are new to writing RMTs, here is a thread to help you get started. It has the basic, fundamental rules on how to write your RMT. You must follow all of these rules in order to have your RMT posted, let alone considered in the RMT competition.

RMT Rules and Guidelines

-If you are still unclear about how to go about starting your RMT, here are two very good examples:

dragonexpert’s Shrine of Immortality

TheDarkLucario’s Operation Desert Storm

-It is not recommended to use the same exact styles as the two examples. They are simply here to get you started. You should develop your own creative style that fit your team and personality.

Judges:

[smod]King Arceus[/smod]
[mod]bacon-boy[/mod]
[member]Hot N' Spicy[/member]

Criteria:

Teams will be graded out of a score of 50 points. The categories are:

Style (15 points)

The way that the format looks. If things are arranged in a sensible order. How good the style of writing is. If images are used sensibly. Correct spelling, grammar, and terminology. If it's interesting to read. If the writer appropriately distributes his level of detail (As in skipping over irrelevant/obvious details and explaining more important and less obvious details). Lack of repetition. Reasonably concise, no waffle.

Content (20 points)

Suitable introduction. Key details on Pokemon (Name, ability, EVs, move set, etc). Information on why each Pokemon and set was chosen, what it does, how it helps the team, etc. Discussion on how the team plays, including its strengths and weaknesses (marks here are rewarded for the discussion itself, not the team quality). Team building process is nice.

Effectiveness of team (15 points)

The ability to handle the majority of the meta game. Synergy between team members and effective use of sets. Demonstration of team's effectiveness (tournament wins, ladder ratings). Possible inclusion of threat list detailing how each Pokemon is handled. Creativity of the team, and whether it does something different that gives it an edge.

While this competition should not cause any arguments or disagreements, it should be very competitive. This whole experience should allow both the writers and readers to learn and grow. It should encourage everyone to work harder on their teams and, in the end, become more experienced and better battlers.

Have fun and good luck!

Round 3:

Deadline: January 31st, 2012 at 11:59 PM EST.

1) [member]Cinesra[/member] with DiscOUnt Pharmaceuticals [OU]

2) [smod]King Arceus[/smod] with Ubers Gym RMT

Winners:

[member]Peachy[/member] with Fighting of the Metagame won the November 2011 RMT of the Month!

[member]PDC[/member] with White America - UU Hail won the December 2011 RMT of the Month!

RE: RMT of the Month

This looks great. I would like to enter Team Howl, my VGC 2011/2012 team. It's already posted and I'll see how effective it is at regionals, but this still looks really fun. I'll be excited to see what else people come up with.

Chillarmy said:
Do we need to sign up?

All you need to do is post a proper RMT then send Lenny a PM with a link to it.

Might not be the right section for this, but are you going by Smogon banlist or Pokemon Online?

Use our banlist.

Im finnished with mine, ill be posting it on my profile if you want to see it!

PokeCraft said:
Im finnished with mine, ill be posting it on my profile if you want to see it!

Make sure you PM me the thread. Posting it just on your profile is not enough. Make sure the RMT is an actual, already made thread here in the RMT forum and PM me the link to it.

Also, I updated the first post with a new rule about tiers, along with a link to PokeBeach's Official Ban List for clarification. :)

EDIT: And I added the current contestants to the bottom of the post so people know who is participating and who they're up against.

If I wanted to update my RMT, can I go ahead and enter it now, and update it before the deadline? Or do I need to enter it after I update it?

safariblade said:
If I wanted to update my RMT, can I go ahead and enter it now, and update it before the deadline? Or do I need to enter it after I update it?

I would prefer that you do not edit after you enter it. The judges may want to judge these over the course of the month (not all at the end) and reveal the scores at the end. Having to judge a bunch of RMTs just after the deadline seems a bit rushed and unfair for both the members and the judges. I can't technically enforce such a rule, but the judges will score whatever they see at that time, so once you enter your RMT, you should make sure it's as good as you want it to be.

Remember, it is still the beginning of November and you don't have to rush it out. Proofread over your thread and make sure it looks exactly how you want it to. As long as you get it in before the deadline (November 30th at 11:59 PM), it will be scored. Don't feel the need to enter it at the moment. =)

superpokemon67 said:
Team Howl is ready for action!

Please, superpokemon67, I would very much prefer it if you PM'd me the link to the RMT. I'd like to keep this thread simply for questions, discussion, and results. The RMTs are going to be put in the first post anyways, so no need to have a "useless" post. I should outline that in the rules. I said how to do hand it in to me in earlier posts, but I guess I should clarify that on the first post, too. But I'll add you now. Next time, though, PM me. :)

Don't worry about it superpokemon67. :)

Two new teams have entered the competition. Take a look!

Well if this isnt another one of my ideas that have gotten ripped off, then i don't know what is. Pathetic. The points should be more based around the grammar. Drop 5-10 points from Effectiveness into Spelling/Grammar, if anything that's about just as important as the Effectiveness of the team, or just add 5 points into the system to make for a 50 point rating cap.

The Assassin said:
Well if this isnt another one of my ideas that have gotten ripped off, then i don't know what is. Pathetic.

This isn't exactly a truly innovative idea (many forums have had similar competitions etc) that people should be excluded from using just because you ran it first. Nor is it "pathetic" (really man?) to reuse an idea. Now get a grip and stop posting nonsense, I know you're better than this.

Take anything further to PM, Lenny doesn't deserve the dishonour of an argument poluting his really nice thread.

EDIT: Also, just want to say that I really liked Bippa's RMT, great job man : )

Assassin, none of this was meant to be a "rip-off" of yours. Nowhere did I claim that this idea was original. It was only meant to spark some VG activity. I'm sorry you took it so personally, but just because you did it first doesn't mean we can't do it. I didn't even know you did this until I brought up the idea to TDL. I made my own thread with my own rules and my own layout. I never even looked at your thread. So I DID NOT rip it off. And I am not pathetic. If you really loved this idea so much, why didn't you stick around and keep it alive?

And now for your ACTUAL criticism, I'll talk to some of the mods about the 50 point system. I also thought 45 was a rather odd number but I wasn't sure where to add it to. I think you're right, grammar should be worth a bit more, so I'll see what others think about bumping up grammar's worth to 10 instead of 5.

Lenny said:
Assassin, none of this was meant to be a "rip-off" of yours. Nowhere did I claim that this idea was original. It was only meant to spark some VG activity. I'm sorry you took it so personally, but just because you did it first doesn't mean we can't do it. I didn't even know you did this until I brought up the idea to TDL. I made my own thread with my own rules and my own layout. I never even looked at your thread. So I DID NOT rip it off. And I am not pathetic. If you really loved this idea so much, why didn't you stick around and keep it alive?

And now for your ACTUAL criticism, I'll talk to some of the mods about the 50 point system. I also thought 45 was a rather odd number but I wasn't sure where to add it to. I think you're right, grammar should be worth a bit more, so I'll see what others think about bumping up grammar's worth to 10 instead of 5.

@bacon im not insulting lenny, nor do i intend to, it's just frustrating to have attempted this twice, get no help with it, get demodded for inactivity, and then have it be revived 2 months later. That's all I'm saying, not arguing, just how I feel about the whole thing. I have no problem with the thread, in fact if I have time i'll take part, I've been wanted to play pogeymans again.

@lenny, i didn't stick around to keep it alive because i needed help starting it up, i had no judges or any way to really enforce this, and i was constantly ignored, that's all. I'm glad to see life in it now, but chea.

I have to disagree with Blake on the issue. There shouldn't be more points for S/G and formatting. In fact, there should be much less, if any points for S/G. Proper S/G should be a given. If you can't bother to do things right, the entry isn't even worth consideration. (Inb4 someone finds a flaw in my S/G in this post :p) 10 points for Creativity and Formatting? This category does little but make RMTs more vulnerable for point loss. It would be a shame to see a perfectly good RMT fall bellow another for following a classic but effective format. Maybe next time make this a bonus point category? Offer an extra point or two for stunning visual aesthetics incorporated? Giving points for some of the things listed is like giving points on a test for remembering to write one's name at the top.

Literary Technique and Thoroughness may have been what you guys were intending to judge on for the S/G and Creative Formatting & Structure categories. I think that would be a good idea for a category change in the future. Ditching the two categories I criticized, and replacing them with Literary Technique and Thoroughness could better the grading process strongly. Emphasis on thoroughness, as the current rubric doesn't seem to stress it very well. (I recommend making this 20 points to reach a better total point value in 50)

Right now, the "simplified" core values being assessed seem to be creativity of the team its self, efficiency of the team, (By appearance on paper) the creativity of the embellishments and format, and the S/G that should be a given. Little about how much effort was put into description, explanation, and simplicity. I realize Pokebeach is a young and growing VG community, but patting entrants on the back for tying their shoes seems a bit much.

I also don't think it's a rip-off of Blake, and very much appreciate the effort for progress! I might enter if I get around of it.

Back