• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Riding the Electric Surge - A Look at Tapu Koko-GX

FZG_Soul

Aspiring Trainer
How’s It going everybody? I’m Cody Brown, a player based in the Charlotte, NC area, and I’m here to bring you my first article. As this is my first article I'm having a little trouble getting it published anywhere so I thought this would be a good place to start.

First, I would like to give a little history about myself. Currently I am getting back into playing the Pokemon TCG, but I’m far from a new player. I started playing seriously a long time ago at the beginning of Black & White--way back when Primes were on top, EX’s didn’t exist, and you could still attack while going first. I actually had some pretty good success with my XTC deck using Mewtwo-EX, Tornadus, and Celebi Prime, placing in the Top 16 of States in 2012. I had my own league set up in Salisbury, got to meet a lot of great players, and even kicked off a YouTube channel. However, I had to pass on all that when my beautiful daughter was born to support my family, a decision I do not regret in the slightest.

During my hiatus though, I still kept up with the game, paying attention to each new set and always watching Worlds and other large events. Now I am at a stable point in my life with much more free time, so I am ready to make a comeback. I entered my first event in years this past weekend, a League Cup held at Get Some Game in Charlotte, with my Tapu Koko-GX/Electrode deck. While I would like to try and combine a tournament report and a deck profile into the same article, I’m afraid it would probably take up way too much of your time. So, I proudly present to you all today my analysis of this incredibly underestimated deck.

Tapu Koko-GX was a card that just seemed to call out to me as soon as I saw it. Lightning has always been one of my favorite types to run, and this is the first good card for the type in a really long time. It was available as a tin promo so I didn’t have to invest that much into finding the core of the deck, making it all relatively cheap if for those working on a budget. Most importantly, however, since Tapu Koko was revealed it quickly climbed the ranks, becoming among one of my favorite Pokemon ever. I have always been a believer in playing things that you like over just trying to play what people consider to be the best. On top of all this, it was very nice to see it actually turned out to be an exceptionally strong card.

A lot of Koko lists I have seen seem to go for max damage and try to keep up with the other powerful cards’ damage output. As a result it is considered by many to be weak and unable to stand up to the current meta. However, in my opinion, this is the wrong way to play the deck. No matter the card you always have to look at and accept its weaknesses, which is the first thing I did when deciding on building around it. Tapu Koko-GX, on the surface, has some pretty apparent downsides, only hitting for 130 base, 170 HP, and a GX attack that relies on your opponent’s field. Once you look a little deeper though, you may see the potential I do. With this in mind let’s finally get into the deck list:

Pokemon - 13​
4 - Tapu Koko-GX
2 - Tapu Lele - GX
1 - Jolteon-EX
2 - Voltorb (ROS)
2 - Electrode (EVO)
1 - Tapu Koko (PR)
1 - Oranguru

Trainers - 36​
4 - Professor Sycamore
3 - N
2 - Lysandre
1 - Hex Maniac
1 - Brock’s Grit
1 - Pokémon Fan Club
3 - Aether Paradise Conservation Area
1 - Rough Seas
2 - Fighting Fury Belt
1 - Choice Band
4 VS Seeker
4 - Max Elixir
4 - Ultra Ball
2 - Max Potion
1 - Rescue Stretcher
1 - Escape Rope
1 - Field Blower

Energy - 11​
11 - Lightning Energy

This list hopefully looks a bit different than others you’ve probably seen, as my goal was to aim for survivability over high damage. Using cards like Fighting Fury Belt and Aether Paradise Conservation Area to boost my HP makes my seemingly frail Pokemon harder to KO. Koko-GX’s Aero Trail is great to get damaged attackers out of harm's way, while at the same time laying on pressure with a new full HP one. Max Potions remove all that damage and an occasional Rough Seas can also help over multiple turns. With Max Elixers and Electrode you have plenty of potential to lay on pressure from even turn 1 and almost certainly turn 2. It also helps to get you back into the game quick after a KO which took all your energy, allowing Koko to keep up with some of the fastests decks in the game. The deck is also very good at burning out the opponent’s resources, as forcing them to use everything they have to take out my Koko’s makes them struggle in the late game to get those last few cards. In short, my game plan is a mix of survival, prize denial, speed, pressure, and burning out the opponent’s resources. Now I’ll be going over my card choices, trying my best to omit obvious selections.
  • Tapu Koko-GX:
The obvious core of the deck, Tapu Koko-GX is all about consistently attacking and laying on pressure. Thanks to its ability, Aero Trail, you rarely fear having your big retreaters like Orangaru or another Koko-GX being Lysandred, and you have the potential for quick, surprise damage from potentially turn 1. 130 damage can consistently two hit KO the entire format, barring Pokemon Center Lady/Olympia shenanigans. With the help of your tools and supporting Pokemon, you can hit the numbers you need offensively. Tapu Thunder-GX punishes your opponent hard for setting up a lot of energy on the bench and can be very powerful against many decks that rely on big HP and energy acceleration. Finally, while 170 HP may seem underwhelming compared to the big Stage 1 and 2 GX’s we’re used to seeing, it is far from helpless. With the help of other cards you can make this seemingly frail Pokemon a massive wall that even some of the biggest hitters can struggle to OHKO. Also, this goes without saying, but having no weakness on a Lightning Pokemon is pretty sweet, even in a meta devoid of worthwhile Fighting support.
  • Jolteon-EX:
This is a card I actually considered removing from the deck but I am so glad I didn’t. Flash Ray is still exceptionally strong against big basic decks such as Darkrai and Volcanion, and can be a near autowin in the mirror. Of course, you do have to watch for Pokemon Ranger, and they can easily Lysandre around to take out your bench. However, with Ranger being much less common and those big basics still hanging around, it can be invaluable and clutch out many games on its own. Its free retreat is also pretty useful at times.
  • Tapu Koko - Promo:
Baby Koko has many good uses in the deck which, in my eyes, set it apart from other popular choices like Raikou (BKT). Starting off, the free retreat is great in the same way as Jolteon, but being a single prize attacker makes it much less risky to play every game. However, my choice came down to Flying Flip being a massive help to the deck as a whole, on top of it just being another awesome Koko card. It’s no secret Koko-GX struggles hitting the numbers it needs to get KO’s sometimes. An early Flying Flip or two can push many things into that necessary range, allowing this little guy to back up his big brother very well.
  • Oranguru:
The argument can still be made to play Shaymin-EX in this deck, but I feel with the deck already relatively frail, an easy 2 prizes doesn’t have much place. Oranguru in my opinion is just more consistent, helps much more in the late game to counter N, and the single prize benefit is obvious.
  • Aether Paradise Conservation Area & Rough Seas:
Aether Paradise is the start of your survivability engine, allowing all of your main attackers to take 30 less damage and pushing your Koko-GX’s to a pseudo-200 HP. However, the effect can help opposing Grass types like Tapu Bulu, Lurantis, and Decidueye, along with all the Baby Koko techs floating around. This is where Rough Seas, and to a lesser extent Field Blower, comes in, allowing you to replace your own stadium and giving your opponent no benefits, while still providing something for your Pokemon.
  • Fighting Fury Belt & Choice Band:
While it has mostly dropped off the map with the inclusion of Choice Band (CB), I still feel Fighting Fury Belt (FFB) is far superior than the fan favorite for Koko. Keep in mind my strategy of survivability over damage and you can see why. Combined with Aether Paradise, a FFB gives your Tapu Koko-GX a massive pseudo-240 HP, certainly a hard number to hit for even the strongest cards. While the benefits of FFB are excellent, I find the addition of 1 CB nice to occasionally hit bigger numbers when necessary, and can certainly help Jolteon KO the big basics faster. If there was a 61st card, for me it would be a third FFB.
  • Looking Ahead:
Anytime I start building a deck I like to look ahead at the potential future format. What cards are coming in the next set that can help this deck? How hard will it be hit by rotation? With this in mind I feel Tapu Koko-GX/Electrode will only improve with the inclusion of Burning Shadows and could benefit greatly from this pending rotation.

Let’s start with the additions from Burning Shadows. Keep in mind at the time of writing this, some of these cards have not been officially revealed to be included in the set. Guzma I feel may straight up replace Lysandre, and for good reason. Koko can use this card exceptionally well as you are never afraid of promoting a Pokemon to active with Aero Trail in play, and with your free retreaters you can just immediately return to anything you wish to attack with. Acerola will also be an incredible supporter for Koko as it helps patch up one of the deck’s weaknesses. Probably the biggest issue I currently have is removing the threat of my damaged benched Pokemon being pulled up by a Lysandre for an easy KO. Acerola and the next card is the perfect fix to this problem. Super Scoop Up, while being a flip card and Item, will likely be a near staple for this deck. The benefits of removing an easy target from the field and being able to reuse hand-to-bench abilities is just too good to not abuse. There may be more coming from Burning Shadows that Koko could use, I’m keeping an eye on Marshadow-GX myself, but for now, these 3 cards will be immediate additions to my deck.​

Now let’s look even further ahead to this pending rotation. I am writing under the suspicion of it being from Breakthrough-on. This means losing cards like Shaymin-EX, Rayquaza-EX, Forest of Giant Plants, and others which will certainly impact, or outright kill, many decks. However, the two most important I would like to talk about are VS Seeker and Hex Maniac.

First, the bad. Losing VS Seeker is kind of bittersweet, leaning more on the bitter side. This means we will be losing the availability of single copy supporter techs, such as Brock’s Grit and Pokemon Fan Club in my deck’s case. Undoubtedly, this will slow the game down greatly and promote smarter play, resource management, and deck building, all things I approve of. Overall though, I feel Koko will be less affected by this change than most decks since your initial setup is the most important part of the game, and then you rely more on your search cards like Ultra Ball from there.​

Now on the other side of that coin we have Hex Maniac, which still may make a return with a full art reprint in Burning Shadows (please Pokemon give us this beautiful card.) Obviously removing Hex from the format will be amazing for Koko since you rely so heavily on abilities to make the deck run at its peak potential, but it doesn’t just stop there. I can’t tell you how many times I wish I could have anything in my hand other than Hex when playing Garbodor. If they have a Garbotoxin on the field, the card is practically useless since you need to use your abilities to set up and shutting theirs off has little to no effect or can even help them. It’s like she’s just sitting in my hand laughing at me, so just for this situation alone I wouldn’t mind seeing the card go. Still love the art and concept of the card though.​

Well, there you have it: my in depth look at a deck I feel is criminally underestimated and underrepresented. I will be the first to admit this deck has its flaws, and no, I don’t feel it will be a top tier deck in the near future, if ever. To me, that doesn’t matter; this deck is just fun, and I get to use one of my favorite Pokemon in a game I love to play with people that are just a joy to be with. I saved this for the end just so you can read through my thoughts first, but I did end up winning my first returning tournament with this deck, going 4-0 in Swiss and only dropping 1 game in Top 4. The deck is tried and true, plus that performance was a major inspiration for me to write this article. If you would like to read about my experience, I will be submitting a follow up article soon, so please let me and the rest of the site know what you think below.

Before I wrap this up, I would like to make a shoutout to my local Pokemon League at R&B Games in Statesville, especially Caleb and Tyler. You guys accepted me from the start and provided me with not only cards, knowledge, and advice, but also a true sense of belonging. I came in with something different and a desire to perform, and you all supported and pushed me to do my best. I am serious when I say I could not have done it without you. So, to finish things off, I will leave you with this thought: don’t always surf the easy current--find something you like, have courage, and ride a dangerous surge sometimes. It may surprise you.

FFB and Aether's are really not going to be good IMO. They are passive Stadium/ Tool cards, unable to affect the game state much during your own turn and extremely fragile with Field Blower running around. I run a Koko GX deck and I love it, but I think you kind of have to accept the fact that he's squish. Honestly I don't think a straight Koko deck can stand up, I look forward to playing around with Raichu GX/ Koko though.

FFB and Aether's are really not going to be good IMO. They are passive Stadium/ Tool cards, unable to affect the game state much during your own turn and extremely fragile with Field Blower running around. I run a Koko GX deck and I love it, but I think you kind of have to accept the fact that he's squish. Honestly I don't think a straight Koko deck can stand up, I look forward to playing around with Raichu GX/ Koko though.

I read this all the time, but in truth, the ACPA/FFB combo has saved/won plenty of games online at least. True, they may get tossed, but there is no way to guarantee the field blower when the opponent needs it. Really, just once or twice a game can be the difference between winning and getting rolled. I think you need to be aware that it isn't a guarantee that it will be there every turn and play accordingly.

When Acerola and Raiku drop, this deck gets a huge boost. Right now I'm running baby Drampa for energy acceleration, and I can reliably get a koko benched and charged by turn two, my second attacking turn at the latest. With the GX attack, I'm able to strategically knockout bigger pokemon, especially when they are the one with the most energy. This slows down my opponent and allows the space for either 2HKO with Koko or basic stall/chip with Jolteon. I would really like to get a Drampa GX in, but I haven't found a way to make it work yet.

I read this all the time, but in truth, the ACPA/FFB combo has saved/won plenty of games online at least. True, they may get tossed, but there is no way to guarantee the field blower when the opponent needs it. Really, just once or twice a game can be the difference between winning and getting rolled. I think you need to be aware that it isn't a guarantee that it will be there every turn and play accordingly.

When Acerola and Raiku drop, this deck gets a huge boost. Right now I'm running baby Drampa for energy acceleration, and I can reliably get a koko benched and charged by turn two, my second attacking turn at the latest. With the GX attack, I'm able to strategically knockout bigger pokemon, especially when they are the one with the most energy. This slows down my opponent and allows the space for either 2HKO with Koko or basic stall/chip with Jolteon. I would really like to get a Drampa GX in, but I haven't found a way to make it work yet.

You have to consider too though that you could end up with a Tapu Koko GX with FFB and more damage than the base of Koko, which could end up with your opponent getting the KO simply from Field Blower which could lead into another KO. Raikou is too slow for this deck to be centered around Koko IMO. If you were focusing on Raichu GX and had Tapu Koko in addition, well I think that has a ton of merit.

As for strategic KOs... you're still never going to knock out Metagross GX. Jolteon EX is certainly a good card in this deck against Drampa GX variants, but there are ways around Jolteon EX, and Guzma is only going to make it easier to hit around Jolteon. Drampa GX has no place in this deck.

I too think Koko GX is underrated (and don't mind if it stays that way haha). Played it to a 5-3-1 record at Indy this past weekend, my first big tournament since starting the game this year. A couple of my nervous misplays led to close game 3 losses, so a 6 or even 7 game win day was theoretically possible. The only auto-loss for this deck is Greninja. IMO it's favorable or at least has a reasonable chance against every other meta deck I've encountered so far.

I run without the Electrode variant though. Just don't like volunteering prizes, so use a baby Rayquaza for energy recovery. Been testing the deck in expanded with just a couple substitutions like AZ and Scoop Up Cyclone and it is incredible. I wasn't sure how much Acerola would really matter for it's overall power, but I'm more excited than ever now to keep running Koko!

Having tested extensively with FFB, Exp Share, and Choice Band, I've settled on CB. Exp Share is an immediate field blower target, and I've had too many field blower losses from FFB knockoffs as CaptZero mentions. I do spam the Aether stadium for the occasional turn they can't remove it to reduce damage taken (but I never "count" on it).

Anyway, great write-up and this is just such a fun deck to play with swooping in and energy consolidation.

Back