fleshrum

Cephalophore
You're entitled to your own opinion, but I don't see how the current TCG is anywhere close to "unplayable". Sure, it has its issues, but power creep in and of itself is certainly not enough to make a format bad. Bigger numbers and lower costs do not automatically make a game unfun or low skill.
I get what they mean in that the average person coming to the tcg, whether a veteran or a newbie, will be faced with the vast majority of cards they encounter/open/enjoy the look of being completely garbo tier, unable to be played in any practical capacity against someone with even a few weeks worth of singles purchases under their belt.

Compared to the relative accessibility of magic games, even for newbies, even in commander, that's a big downside.
Also, I'm sorry, but saying that abilities keep getting more and more complex is nowhere close to being true. Most abilities nowadays are fairly simple, even if they're powerful.
This is completely accurate though, idk what he means. the game is less complicated than it ever has been, and simpler than it ever needed to be.

TheRainmaker

I like Expanded
I think the TCG is more than fine in it's current state in Standard.

The fact that we've consistently had over 5 viable decks placing well these past few years (not even counting variants in that number, e.g. separating DTE only and Fusion Strike Mew builds) and that the best decks can be completed in under $100 and several under $50 means it is anything but unplayable, stale, or unapproachable. If anything I feel like all the consistency engines in all the top decks (even with the Shady Dealings engine leaving), many of which are not arch-type specific (e.g. Bibarel or Kirlia or Lost Zone Engine are splashable, as opposed to say Genesect), makes it a more competitive game.

Don't get me wrong though, there are definitely some mechanics which are underpowered, and I'm constantly frustrated by the onslaught of cards which have zero competitive value/niche in their design... and unfortunately I don't see that (at least the latter) ever changing.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Every time I see a card like this I'm reminded that Hisuian Arcanine does 160 for 0 energy and it's like. not even a great card

Hisuian Arcanine isn't that bad. It is piss easy to drain your hand to zero, and Fighting damage is relevant with Lightning being tier 2 at worst and Arceus VSTAR being everywhere. Throw in Zoroark and a couple other Stage 1 bois for other meta threats and you've got yourself a deck. It probably struggles with Lost Box but I don't see that as an auto-loss either.

As far as these cards go, Rhydon is disappointing considering we probably won't see a Rhyperior. I could see Persian seeing use in some sort of control or Energy denial deck. Maybe combine it with Aerodactyl V or Gyarados VMAX to consistently set your opponent back two attachments? Greedent V could even do it turn one going second if you had the Supporter in hand. The math even works out perfectly to set up a Comfey or Ralts for a turn 2 KO by Greedent VMAX's Turn a Profit and that's half the game won right there.

Hunga

Oh no! Rotation in sight
You're entitled to your own opinion, but I don't see how the current TCG is anywhere close to "unplayable". Sure, it has its issues, but power creep in and of itself is certainly not enough to make a format bad. Bigger numbers and lower costs do not automatically make a game unfun or low skill.

Also, I'm sorry, but saying that abilities keep getting more and more complex is nowhere close to being true. Most abilities nowadays are fairly simple, even if they're powerful.

Okay, I should have phrased the ability part a bit different.
Agree on that one. I meant the abilities get more and more powerful and enable faster games.

I think it is unplayable in the sense that a big aspect of the game, I'm talking about evolving Pokémon, is just not viable.
If a game is activly making a big mechanic and a core one to boot, useless it feels bad and akward to aweful.
When reading comments on new releases of cards or spoilers the main argument to be had is if the HP are above threshold X (300 at the moment, but might be wrong), not anything above stage 1 (base would be best) and having an attack that should 1-shot anything with 280HP at least.
For me the game currently and since the end of B/W era is just not the game I've grown up with and I was activly playing during my tournament phase.
Another issue for me personal is that each new set brings something that forces you to either play it because it is just sooo darn bonkers (Arceus and Lugia are current contenders for me here to mention) or to model the whole deck to counter it.

LightYearLiam

I think it is unplayable in the sense that a big aspect of the game, I'm talking about evolving Pokémon, is just not viable.
Um...what?
Gardevoir ex is an evolved Pokemon.
Gardevoir Chilling Reign is an evolved Pokemon.
Kirlia is an evolved Pokemon.
Bibarel is an evolved Pokemon.
Flaaffy is an evolved Pokemon.
Arceus VSTAR is an evolved Pokemon.
Mew VMAX is an evolved Pokemon.
Giratina VSTAR is an evolved Pokemon.
Umbreon VMAX is an evolved Pokemon.
Duraludon VMAX is an evolved Pokemon.
Magnezone VSTAR is an evolved Pokemon.

Do you mean that evolved single-prize attackers aren't viable, perhaps? I mean, that's not true either considering Gardevoir Chilling Reign exists, but it's closer to being true.

Another issue for me personal is that each new set brings something that forces you to either play it because it is just sooo darn bonkers (Arceus and Lugia are current contenders for me here to mention) or to model the whole deck to counter it.
This is a more reasonable complaint. It feels like ever since Mew VMAX was released, every new set has to contain an amazingly powerful new archetype just to be worthwhile.

Last edited:

Hunga

Oh no! Rotation in sight
Um...what?
Gardevoir ex is an evolved Pokemon.
Gardevoir Chilling Reign is an evolved Pokemon.
Kirlia is an evolved Pokemon.
Bibarel is an evolved Pokemon.
Flaaffy is an evolved Pokemon.
Arceus VSTAR is an evolved Pokemon.
Mew VMAX is an evolved Pokemon.
Giratina VSTAR is an evolved Pokemon.
Umbreon VMAX is an evolved Pokemon.
Duraludon VMAX is an evolved Pokemon.
Magnezone VSTAR is an evolved Pokemon.

Do you mean that evolved single-prize attackers aren't viable, perhaps? I mean, that's not true either considering Gardevoir Chilling Reign exists, but it's closer to being true.

This is a more reasonable complaint. It feels like ever since Mew VMAX was released, every new set has to contain an amazingly powerful new archetype just to be worthwhile.

Yeah talking about single prized cards are not viable and mostly the stage 2 are absolute not viable what so ever besides 1-2 cards that are heavy niches I'd say.

LightYearLiam

Yeah talking about single prized cards are not viable and mostly the stage 2 are absolute not viable what so ever besides 1-2 cards that are heavy niches I'd say.
Gardevoir isn't really a niche deck, and it's going to get even better when the next set comes out. Yes, I'd certainly like it if there were more seriously viable evolved Stage 2 and/or evolved single prize Pokemon, don't get me wrong...but the current status of the game is still way better than it often has been in recent memory, so I'm fairly happy.

Also, Arceus Gallade (using Astral Radiance Gallade as a support Pokemon and sometimes also the Chilling Reign Gallade as a backup attacker) is beginning to emerge as an archetype. It got top 16 in a 500 player event in Bangkok - that's not too shabby. So that's 2 more viable Stage 2s. Combine that with Gardevoir and Gardevoir ex, that's 4 viable Stage 2s. That's not too bad, really. (And even if you ignore Arceus Gallade, the Gallades see occasional play in Gardevoir.)

Obviously, the viability of these Pokemon is highly affected by the fact that Silver Tempest Kirlia has an excellent drawing Ability. I really, REALLY hope Creatures recognizes what a difference this makes and releases more evolving Stage 1s with good Abilities. I don't really expect them to, in fact they usually make evolving Stage 1s really terrible and useless, but since they do it occasionally, there's still hope it will happen in the future.

Oh, and speaking of Stage 2s, Baxcalibur with a reprint of Rain Dance is coming out, which will probably be viable.