TCG Fakes Reviving Ace Spec: Z-Rings for Supporters

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
I don't believe I've seen something like this pondered up in this section of the forums yet, but if it has been, then please feel free to shut me down and direct me to the thread that already imagined this since whether intentional or it, it would end up being plagiarism of some sort.

The concept is to revive Ace Spec type item cards in the form of Z-Rings. Z-Rings, just like Ace Spec cards would be a maximum of 1 per deck, and each Z-Ring would be specific to each Supporter card we currently have.

To give an example,

Professor Sycamore's Z-Ring:

During the turn you play this card, Professor Sycamore's effect becomes the following: Draw 7 cards without discarding your hand.

Fundamentally, the logic of these cards would be to have both the Z-Ring and Supporter Card of your choice in hand, play the Z-Ring, then play the matching supporter, and you can only choose to put 1 Z-Ring for 1 supporter in your deck as it is an Ace Spec.

I believe this could theoretically have the potential of adding some very interesting deck builds where the same list can be changed simply by changing out the Z-Ring Card. Of course, the effects that I state aren't necessarily game balanced, game ready, or game accurate (Z-rings are element based and meant for Pokemon attacks), but I think they are an interesting starting point.

To continue with other possibilities:

N's Z-Ring:

During the turn you play this card, N's effect becomes the following: Only your opponent shuffles his/her hand into their deck. Both players draw cards equal to the number of prizes they have remaining.

Brigette's Z-Ring:

During the turn you play this card, Brigette's effect becomes the following: Put as many Basic, Basic GX, or Basic EX Pokemon onto your bench as possible.

Skyla's Z-Ring:

[I think you see the pattern with the flavor text by now so I'm going to jump straight to the effects from here on out]: Search your deck for a Trainer Card. Any items you play after playing Skyla are shuffled back into your deck instead of put into discard after resolving their effects.

Guzma's Z-Ring:

Switch 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon with their Active Pokémon. If you do, switch your Active Pokémon with 1 of your Benched Pokémon. If your opponent's Active Pokemon is knocked out this turn, you may choose which Pokemon becomes their next Active Pokemon.

Mallow's Z-Ring:

Search your deck for 2 cards, shuffle your deck, then put those cards on top of it in any order. Then, search your opponent's deck for 2 cards, shuffle their deck, and put those cards on top of it in any order.

I could keep going, but I really don't even know if this is a cool idea that people would consider as fun to think about. Figured I just share this since the idea popped into my head.

Thanks for reading.

What about Lusamine (SM4) and Kukui
Lusamine's Z-ring:
Put any combination of two supporters and stadiums. You may play an extra supporter for this turn
Kukui's Z-ring
Draw two cards. During your turn your Pokemon do 20 more to the defending Pokemon. If one of your pokemon knocks out a Pokemon during your turn you may take an extra prize.
This is a really cool idea!

I find it interesting that you thought of the same Lusamine Z-ring effect that I was thinking of but didn't post to prevent the list from getting too long. I didn't consider Kukui since I kind of forgot about him (sorry), but that's a really interesting affect as well.

To complete the family (spoiler alert), let's cover Lillie and Gladion, too.

Gladion's Z Ring

Do not shuffle your prizes after replacing Gladion with a card from your Prize Cards.

Lillie's Z Ring

If you have Cosmog in your deck, aka in the bag, you win the game. Your opponent must discard as many cards as you drew from Lillie's effect.

Some supporter Z Rings:

Acerola's Z Ring: This turn, all your Pokémon in play may evolve during the same turn they are played.

Kiawe's Z Ring: Your turn does not end after attaching energy from the deck.

Xerosic's Z Ring: Discard 1 more Special energy or Tool attached to your opponent's Pokémon

Delinquent's Z Ring: Your opponent discards 3 more cards.

AZ's Z Ring: Put all cards attached to that Pokémon to your hand.

Pokémon Center Lady's Z Ring: Heal all damage and remove all Special Conditions from 1 of your Pokémon

Last edited:
Archie and Maxie should have a Z-Ring that means it doesn't have to be the last card in your hand. Really nice mechanic here!

Lana's Z-Ring
When you use Lana during your turn, heal all damage from every [W] Pokémon or Pokémon with [W] energy attached to them.

Hala's Z-Ring
When you use Hala during your turn, Instead of shuffling your hand into your deck if you've used your GX attack draw 7, if you haven't draw 4.

Ilima's Z-ring
When you use Ilima during your turn, shuffle your hand into your deck, draw 6. Your opponent Shuffles his hand into their deck.

Cheren's Z-Ring: Draw 6 cards

Tierno's Z-Ring: Draw 6 cards

Hau's Z-Ring: Draw 6 cards

Shauna's Z-Ring: Shuffle your hand into your deck and draw 8 cards.

Giovanni's Z-Ring: Do 1 of the following:
  • Draw Cards until you have 8 in your hand.
  • During this turn, each of your Pokémon's attacks do 40 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

Olivia's Z-Ring: Search your deck for up to 2 Pokemon GX and put them onto your bench.

Team Skull Grunt's Z-Ring: Search your opponent's deck for up to 3 basic energy cards and discard them.

Brock's Z- Ring: choose 10 in any combination of Pokemon and Energy from your discard pile. Put as many of them as you want into your hand, shuffle the others into your deck.

Ninja Boy's Z-Ring: Choose 1 of your basic Pokemon in play. Search your deck for a Pokemon and switch it with that Pokemon. Shuffle the first Pokemon into your deck.

Lass's Z-Ring: Draw a card for each energy attached to each of your opponent's benched Pokemon.

Blacksmith's Z-Ring: Attach 4 [R] energy cards from your discard pile to your [R] Pokemon in any way you like.

Imakuni?'s Z-ring: All pokémon are now confused (Even benched pokémon). All confused pokémon cannot recover from status conditions.

Cause wynaut?

Seeker's Z-Ring: Put one of your opponent's Pokémon and all cards attached to it into your opponent's hand. (You cannot use this card if you opponent has only 1 Pokémon in play)

Team Rocket's Z-Ring: Discard 4 cards from your opponent's deck

Plumeria's Z-Ring: Discard as many cards from your hand as you like. Then, discard that many Energy cards from your opponent's Pokémon in any way you like.

Cool idea! :)

Misty's Z-Ring:
Look at the top 8 cards of your deck put as many as you like into your hand

Pokemon Ranger's Z-Ring:
Remove all effects from each player and every Pokémon in play, then heal all damage counters from all of your Pokémon

lysanders trump card z-ring: if this card is in your deck you may play up to two lysandres trump card. if lysandres trump card is played you may choose to only shuffle one of the discard piles back in the deck

Back