Discussion Relatively Inexpensive Decks for PRC-On

DatSonicAce

Latios Superfan
Hey PokéBeach! I'm a newcomer to the true competitive scene of the TCG, and I'm considering grinding to (hopefully) make it to worlds. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of money, so I need a deck that is relatively inexpensive but can compete with decks in the Masters' Division. I have 2 copies of Shaymin, so that's covered. Ideas are greatly appreciated.

Chancewoot

Aspiring Trainer
Hey PokéBeach! I'm a newcomer to the true competitive scene of the TCG, and I'm considering grinding to (hopefully) make it to worlds. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of money, so I need a deck that is relatively inexpensive but can compete with decks in the Masters' Division. I have 2 copies of Shaymin, so that's covered. Ideas are greatly appreciated.

For cheap decks, Quad Zoroark is pretty inexpensive, runs costly staples, but what deck doesn't. Mega Sceptile is pretty affordable for an EX deck. Volcanion can be made cheapily. The big thing to note is that you probably won't be able to play one deck the entire season and do well (Qualify for Worlds). Also, decks generally aren't the biggest expense, it is tournaments. Going to Regionals can get expensive once you figure that you are going to need to fly/drive, get a hotel, pay entrance, and eat. Once point requirement/how much points you get per tournament gets announced , you will be able to map out what you need to do to get to worlds, so you can decide if it is a possibility.

DatSonicAce

Latios Superfan
For cheap decks, Quad Zoroark is pretty inexpensive, runs costly staples, but what deck doesn't. Mega Sceptile is pretty affordable for an EX deck. Volcanion can be made cheapily. The big thing to note is that you probably won't be able to play one deck the entire season and do well (Qualify for Worlds). Also, decks generally aren't the biggest expense, it is tournaments. Going to Regionals can get expensive once you figure that you are going to need to fly/drive, get a hotel, pay entrance, and eat. Once point requirement/how much points you get per tournament gets announced , you will be able to map out what you need to do to get to worlds, so you can decide if it is a possibility.
Ok thanks for the info! I really want to play something at least remotely original that doesn't get rekt by Mewtwo/Garbodor, because let's be honest, Quad Zoroark has a very bad matchup. Can't Stand In, and Mewtwo scales better than you can, not to mention they have Shrine of Memories to laugh off all the damage you just tried to inflict.

Chancewoot

Aspiring Trainer
Ok thanks for the info! I really want to play something at least remotely original that doesn't get rekt by Mewtwo/Garbodor, because let's be honest, Quad Zoroark has a very bad matchup. Can't Stand In, and Mewtwo scales better than you can, not to mention they have Shrine of Memories to laugh off all the damage you just tried to inflict.

That match up isn't that hard though, it is all about sniping and doing math. The stadium game isn't hard to win if you run 4 Puzzles, which you probably should run. You can snipe their Shaymins/Hoopas with Yveltal BKT, Lysandring out the Hoopa late game to just be able to splash out some damage. Garbodor isn't a huge threat, your deck can snipe it while it is still a Trubbish, they also are going to be less willing to bench heavy due to Zoroark. Stand In also isn't the best ability (It is important, but not the best), Fright Night is going to win you the match up most of the time. The easiest way to deal with Mega Mewtwo itself is keep countering the Stadium, and make them over invest into a Mega Mewtwo and punish their one attacker, generally once you get through 1 the match is pretty much over. They also aren't going to have the Stadium, 2 Psychic Energy + DCE, and Garbodor all the time. Currently, I have a win rate of 60% towards Mega Mewtwo, after 20 games being played, this isn't to say it is an easy matchup, but it is definitely winnable.

Mega Scizor is pretty original, and it wins against Mega Ray and Mega Mewtwo, but once you hit anything rogue, you will probably lose.

DatSonicAce

Latios Superfan
That match up isn't that hard though, it is all about sniping and doing math. The stadium game isn't hard to win if you run 4 Puzzles, which you probably should run. You can snipe their Shaymins/Hoopas with Yveltal BKT, Lysandring out the Hoopa late game to just be able to splash out some damage. Garbodor isn't a huge threat, your deck can snipe it while it is still a Trubbish, they also are going to be less willing to bench heavy due to Zoroark. Stand In also isn't the best ability (It is important, but not the best), Fright Night is going to win you the match up most of the time. The easiest way to deal with Mega Mewtwo itself is keep countering the Stadium, and make them over invest into a Mega Mewtwo and punish their one attacker, generally once you get through 1 the match is pretty much over. They also aren't going to have the Stadium, 2 Psychic Energy + DCE, and Garbodor all the time. Currently, I have a win rate of 60% towards Mega Mewtwo, after 20 games being played, this isn't to say it is an easy matchup, but it is definitely winnable.

Mega Scizor is pretty original, and it wins against Mega Ray and Mega Mewtwo, but once you hit anything rogue, you will probably lose.
Oh ok I just might play Quad Zoroark then. I have 2 Zoroarks and plenty of staples, Yveltal EX shouldn't be a challenge to get. Thank you for the comprehensive info on the matchup. I will study the deck and that matchup specifically to see how I do.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
If you do decide to play Zoroark, you may want to add 2 or so Captivating PokePuffs. If someone catches on to what you're playing, they may stop playing down Pokemon. This forces them to play Pokemon of your choice so you can hit 160 damage a turn. Zoroark Break is a must as well. Yveltal/Yveltal EX and Zoroark is quite Powerful in its damage output and is fairly easy to play.

I guess to break down the expense of the list.

3x Yveltal (less than on buck each)
3x Yveltal EX (Promo is less than 5 bucks each)
4x Zoura (about 40 cents each)
4x Zoroark (About 7 to 10 bucks each)
3x Zoroark Break (About 10ish each)
2x Shaymin EX (50ish each)

4x Professor Sycamore (1 buck each)
4x N (1 buck each)
2x Lycandre (1 buck each)

4x VS Seeker (10ish bucks)
4x Ultra Ball (About 2 bucks)
3x Fighting Fury Belt (About 3 bucks each)
2x Float Stone (about a buck)
1x Super Rod (50 cents)

4x DCE (Double Colorless Energy) (About 1 buck)
6x Darkness Energy (Change)

Thats about 53 cards there. You can start there and figure something out. I should say adding 2 Special Charge should help as well. Not sure if this is in your price range. Some cards may be cheaper.

Last edited:

MarshalBry

Aspiring Trainer
If you run quad zoroark you can always run the break and hit mewtwo for as much damage as they'd hit you for. Plus you have the prize trade advantage. In terms of the deck I wish slurpuff wasn't rotating as retreating to draw an extra 2 then standing in to attack again was amazing draw power (you could keep hands of 10~ and not worry about N)

MewtwoberTCG

Vespiquen Player
If you run quad zoroark you can always run the break and hit mewtwo for as much damage as they'd hit you for. Plus you have the prize trade advantage. In terms of the deck I wish slurpuff wasn't rotating as retreating to draw an extra 2 then standing in to attack again was amazing draw power (you could keep hands of 10~ and not worry about N)
My friend loves zoroark. ill have to tell him about this idea for expanded

rpdjoker

Aspiring Trainer
How can Volcanion be made cheaply? And is it even competitive? I've been reading that it is easily countered by Mewtwo which is supposed to be big this time around.

Mindgames1313

Aspiring Trainer
Volcanion ex goes for about 8-10$ right now, and regular Volcanion is only around 2-4$. Considering the price of some decks this isn't that much. Especially since he already has Shaymins
Mega Mewtwo will most likely be competitive, but all decks have an unfavorable matchup. Plus not all versions run Garbodor, so its not always unfavorable.
My advice if they run garb odor is to try to Lysandre it out as soon as possible. I am aware that this isn't always possible, but it's your best shot.

DatSonicAce

Latios Superfan
If you do decide to play Zoroark, you may want to add 2 or so Captivating PokePuffs. If someone catches on to what you're playing, they may stop playing down Pokemon. This forces them to play Pokemon of your choice so you can hit 160 damage a turn. Zoroark Break is a must as well. Yveltal/Yveltal EX and Zoroark is quite Powerful in its damage output and is fairly easy to play.

I guess to break down the expense of the list.

3x Yveltal (less than on buck each)
3x Yveltal EX (Promo is less than 5 bucks each)
4x Zoura (about 40 cents each)
4x Zoroark (About 7 to 10 bucks each)
3x Zoroark Break (About 10ish each)
2x Shaymin EX (50ish each)

4x Professor Sycamore (1 buck each)
4x N (1 buck each)
2x Lycandre (1 buck each)

4x VS Seeker (10ish bucks)
4x Ultra Ball (About 2 bucks)
3x Fighting Fury Belt (About 3 bucks each)
2x Float Stone (about a buck)
1x Super Rod (50 cents)

4x DCE (Double Colorless Energy) (About 1 buck)
6x Darkness Energy (Change)

Thats about 53 cards there. You can start there and figure something out. I should say adding 2 Special Charge should help as well. Not sure if this is in your price range. Some cards may be cheaper.
This is definitely in my price range, just could take a little while to get the 2 Zoroarks, Zoruas, and Zoroark Breaks I need. I already have an Yveltal EX , both Shaymins required, and all the trainers and energies, so I don't need to spend $140 on VS Seekers and Shays lol. Thanks for the advice! Would Reverse Valley be a good play?
Edit: What Yveltal ratio do you recommend? 2 XY/STS 1 BKT or pure XY/STS?

Last edited:

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
This is definitely in my price range, just could take a little while to get the 2 Zoroarks, Zoruas, and Zoroark Breaks I need. I already have an Yveltal EX , both Shaymins required, and all the trainers and energies, so I don't need to spend $140 on VS Seekers and Shays lol. Thanks for the advice! Would Reverse Valley be a good play?
Edit: What Yveltal ratio do you recommend? 2 XY/STS 1 BKT or pure XY/STS?

I'm not sure. I don't play the deck. Since tool removal won't be in the format, you want want to try a 2-2 Yveltal but I think some like 3-1 because getting energy back is nice. Reverse Valley would also be good too but I would test it. With FFB and this, you get +20 damage a turn so it can't hurt. 50 damage and getting an energy back is always good.

carrotfoot

Aspiring Trainer
If you're looking for cheap decks for the new standard format, Rainbow Force Xerneas is looking really nice.

Outside of staple trainer cards that you use for every deck (Sycamore, N, Lysandre, etc.), the only EX you may need to buy is Volcanion EX if you're not using Octillery with something else for other types. But that's only if you're running Shaymin if you ever happen to come across one. The joy of the deck is that it runs on many inexpensive rares, such as the Xerneas (1-2 USD each), Galvantula (1 USD each), and Bisharp (1 USD each).

vegemite

Weird Decks Only
If you're looking for cheap decks for the new standard format, Rainbow Force Xerneas is looking really nice.

Outside of staple trainer cards that you use for every deck (Sycamore, N, Lysandre, etc.), the only EX you may need to buy is Volcanion EX if you're not using Octillery with something else for other types. But that's only if you're running Shaymin if you ever happen to come across one. The joy of the deck is that it runs on many inexpensive rares, such as the Xerneas (1-2 USD each), Galvantula (1 USD each), and Bisharp (1 USD each).

I've decided to run Rainbow Force, and I can tell you the market has already reacted a bit to its new celebrity. That particular Xerneas is now going anywhere from 4-9 USD.

DatSonicAce

Latios Superfan

I have every single staple I could possibly want (Trainer wise), so that's covered. Not sure about your Volcanion choice. It would pose a problem with its retreat cost, and if Octillery is on the field at the same time, the Water type from Volcanion is useless, subtracting 30 damage.
Not sure whether I should play Octillery or not though. Can't decide whether this deck needs speed or consistency. Have 2 Shaymins btw so no problems there.

OntheMooFarm

Aspiring Trainer
Yanmega, Yanmega BREAK, and Raichu (Circle Circuit) have good synergy. The regular Yanmega and Raichu cost about a dollar each; Yanmega BREAK costs about nine dollars.

ironcladmerc

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
You are better off with Ninetales instead of Volcanion EX if you are running Octillery, that way your stadium is locked in. Ninetales is really cheap to get, probably $1-2