Discussion Regionals Decks

Chi-Town Master

Aspiring Trainer
What will you guys be playing in the expanded Regional tournaments, and what decks do you expect to win or even make top 4?

IMO, the following decks will be played:

• Blastoise
  • Rayquaza (variants)
  • Vespiquen-Eeveelutions
  • Night March
  • Bronzong (variants)
"...what decks do you expect to win or even make top 4?" I would not even guess at a response. This question is tough to reply to since there are more variables to consider such as which players are playing which decks, match-ups, etc.

IMO, the following decks will be played:

• Blastoise
  • Rayquaza (variants)
  • Vespiquen-Eeveelutions
  • Night March
  • Bronzong (variants)
"...what decks do you expect to win or even make top 4?" I would not even guess at a response. This question is tough to reply to since there are more variables to consider such as which players are playing which decks, match-ups, etc.

completely agree, though I do think that Trevenant/Accelgor, Yveltal, and some sort of Seismitoad are all solid choices as well. this format is wide open, and will take some time to fully evaluate.

5 decks that could see top 8 due to matchups ie popular decklists.

donphan
seismetoad or landorus/bats
Groudon/variants
Speed yveltal/yveltal variants
Archeops/variants

These are my guesses on what will be played (There is no way I can guess what will do well)
Vespiquen/Eeveelutions
Yveltal/Archeops and Night March/Archeops
Seismitoad / (Insert good partner here)
Blastoise
Donphan
Maybe some Accelgors

Looking at these decks, I would say Giratina EX and Ability lock (preferable a T1 lock like Wobb/T1 Hex Maniac) would work really well.

I am playing Cacturne PLF with Giant Plant Forest to get it turn one. No this isn't a speed variant, in fact, I don't need a speed engine to hit T1 Cacturne 95% of the time. I'll probably be the only one to play it, but who cares? We play Pokemon for fun right? I feel like no one agrees.

What I think will make top 4 is:
Giratina/Toad
Night March/Archeops
Vespiquen/Flareon
Yveltal/Archeops
Metal Rayquaza
Accelgor(maybe)

A couple of things. DON'T PLAY BLASTOISE. Yea, there's this card called Vespiquen, it will destroy you in your dreams. I went to an LC last weekend, and there was a ton of Vespiquen in masters and I might have been the only senior in top 4 who didn't play GiraToad, I played Night March. Besides the point, it has bad matchups in Night March, Vespiquen, and Toad.
As for Donphan, I know a lot of people have been hyping this card, but do you know why it became less popular at states? It's because 60% of decks became Seismitoad and it just couldn't handle it and Donphan fizzled out. Now, Toad still exists, and so does Archeops so don't get your hopes up too high.
Finally, I say maybe for Accelgor because there are too many ways around it(Virizion, Keldeo, Bunnelby) that I think it will have to hit a bunch of good matchups for it to do well.

Yveltal is my play but based on last seasons worlds and nats I'd say shedninja is going to win regionals this time around

The issue with Yveltal a team in my area found was it has a horrid matchup to night march, but night march has a bad matchup against donphan, raichu, toad or lando/bats and groudon, same with vespiquen including archeops, the deck has no valid options to combat the deck, hex maniac? You lose draw power and setup for a trade off in how and when you can evolve not consistent enough to win against archeops.

The issue with vespiquen is people will instinctually play to counter the deck due to the amount of hype the deck has, don't be disappointed if half of regionals plays wobb and the other half plays turn 1 archeops just to counter the vespiquen matchup and it see's the bottom tables, it's not that stoise players are afraid of vespiquen, vespiquen should be afraid of the tier when over 5 decks are geared to auto win the matchup due to how over hyped the deck is and probably the large amount of testing they have under there belt to get that auto win (vespiquen has been dieing in my area).

On a side note for trevenant, I expect 3 decks to see the lower tables this regionals, trevenant anything, spooky sect and mega ray.

Back