Regionals Deck Choice Help

pokemonkosh

A Freakin' Monkey
Alrighty my friends, I'm in need of help. I'm going to Madison Wisconsin Regional Championsips for the Pokemon TCG, and I was wondering which would be the best deck choice to go with.

These are my choices so far:

• VirGen (With or without Bloons)
    Seismitoad (Crawdaunt or Garbodor)
    Yveltal / Toad (Garbodor or Naw)
    Hawlucha / Crobat (With Lando EX or Lucario EX.)

What would you guys do? If you need a list, I'd be happy to supply it so you could give tips.

Gengar master

shiny Pokémon bait
Advanced Member
RE: Regionals Deck Help!

Honestly, right now there is no "best play". The States results were varied a ton, especially Week 4. I would say go with the deck you're most comfortable with. All decks have bad match ups.
Recommendations for those decks:
Vir/Gen: Don't play Driftblim
Seismitoad: Use Crawdaunt variant.
Yveltal / Toad: No Garb
Hawlucha / Crobat: Use a mix of Lando and Lucario.

NintendoAlian

Frontier Brain

Honestly, I think Seismitoad is your best option, but I would try Slurpuff. If you can't get any, play Crawdaunt.

pokemonkosh

A Freakin' Monkey

NintendoAlian said:
Honestly, I think Seismitoad is your best option, but I would try Slurpuff. If you can't get any, play Crawdaunt.

I got the Slurpuff for the deck, but from my recent results, I think that Crawdaunt is a lot better of an option.

Gengar master said:
Honestly, right now there is no "best play". The States results were varied a ton, especially Week 4. I would say go with the deck you're most comfortable with. All decks have bad match ups.
Recommendations for those decks:
Vir/Gen: Don't play Driftblim
Seismitoad: Use Crawdaunt variant.
Yveltal / Toad: No Garb
Hawlucha / Crobat: Use a mix of Lando and Lucario.

Thanks.
Why no Garb with the Toad though?

My Little Keldeo

Submarine Reflection!
Advanced Member

Have you considered Seismitoad / Bats? I'm assuming you have a set of the Crobat line seeing you're willing to play it with Fighting. Toad / Bats is a pretty solid variant. I like it more than Crawdaunt or Garb because it has damage output that Toad decks can occasionally fall short on. This does come at the cost of disruption, but it practically guarantees victory over any other Toad variant and provides stronger match ups against several decks, though not VirGen. If VirGen is big in your area then don't play Toad / Bats (really if VirGen is popular near you, you should stay away from Toad altogether). Regardless, right now I'd recommend Toad/ Bats if you're going the Seismitoad route. Otherwise, Yveltal with two Toad is a good play with solid matchups across the board. I don't feel Garbodor is necessary right now as you can already decently handle the decks it would shut off, and it does come at a major cost to consistency. The problem with running Garb in Yveltal, is that the deck's biggest threat currently is Manectric, which tends not to rely on Abilities. Garbodor in general isn't a good play now with the exception of Big Basics.

totodile_it_down

Rogue Life

The Madison Regional will be the first tournament where Roaring Skies will be legal. Figured I would mention it and further muddle your decision :D

pokemonkosh

A Freakin' Monkey

totodile_it_down said:
The Madison Regional will be the first tournament where Roaring Skies will be legal. Figured I would mention it and further muddle your decision :D

Yeah, I was thinking about playing Ray-Ray Skyfield, but honestly, I haven't tested it in the Japanese version as much as I should've. I have the deck set up, and I'm going to multiple prereleases for the cards, but I really think that it can't be played this early.
Empoleon w/Skyfield, on the other hand...
Idano, just a random idea.

My Little Keldeo said:
Have you considered Seismitoad / Bats? I'm assuming you have a set of the Crobat line seeing you're willing to play it with Fighting. Toad / Bats is a pretty solid variant.

I've tested, the deck, but I'm having bad draws early in the game, which kills me in the end.
Crawdaunt can at least disrupt your opponent if you get bad draws, so it is a little more reliant than the others.
Crobat is fun, but Crawdaunt is a little more reliable.

pygohan

Lost Deck Builder

Have you tried Toad/Crawdaunt with Victini tech? It pushes Virgen match up to 50/50.

Lensiax

Aspiring Trainer
Play old faithful (Yveltal Garbodor) it has been pretty strong all through out the year (Regionals, States, ETC). I recently top cutted at a state championship with it, and from my opinion I think it is very strong, with unfavorable matchups being VirGen w/ disruption and manectric, which I managed to beat. I honestly think Yveltal Garbodor is what you should play.

Frost Mage

Pegasususus

My Little Keldeo said:
Have you considered Seismitoad / Bats? I'm assuming you have a set of the Crobat line seeing you're willing to play it with Fighting. Toad / Bats is a pretty solid variant. I like it more than Crawdaunt or Garb because it has damage output that Toad decks can occasionally fall short on. This does come at the cost of disruption, but it practically guarantees victory over any other Toad variant and provides stronger match ups against several decks, though not VirGen. If VirGen is big in your area then don't play Toad / Bats (really if VirGen is popular near you, you should stay away from Toad altogether). Regardless, right now I'd recommend Toad/ Bats if you're going the Seismitoad route. Otherwise, Yveltal with two Toad is a good play with solid matchups across the board. I don't feel Garbodor is necessary right now as you can already decently handle the decks it would shut off, and it does come at a major cost to consistency. The problem with running Garb in Yveltal, is that the deck's biggest threat currently is Manectric, which tends not to rely on Abilities. Garbodor in general isn't a good play now with the exception of Big Basics.

I'll take this opportunity to gloat about how I got 4th place at Oregon States with Toad/Bats. :D It's amazing.

pokemonkosh

A Freakin' Monkey

Frost Mage said:
My Little Keldeo said:

I'll take this opportunity to gloat about how I got 4th place at Oregon States with Toad/Bats. :D It's amazing.

Congrats on your placing! I'll think about it!

pygohan said:
Have you tried Toad/Crawdaunt with Victini tech? It pushes Virgen match up to 50/50.

Which Victini? EX or V-Create?