TCG Fakes ReapThaWhirlwind's Graphic Underworld [Text Based Designs]

Type-exclusive Tool Cards

Lustrous Pendant [Pokémon Tool Card]

[Attach this Pokémon Tool to 1 of your
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Pokémon that doesn't already have a Pokémon Tool attached to it.]

Basic Energy attached to the Pokémon this card is attached to provide two Energy of its type instead, so long as you have a Pokémon in play that shares the same type.

(If this card is attached to anything other than a
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Pokémon, discard this card.)

Pixie Dust [Pokémon Tool Card]

zYOcNzS.png

When the attack of the Pokémon this card is attached to damages your opponent's Active Pokémon, all Energy attached to that Pokémon become colorless for as long as that Pokémon remains the Active Pokémon.

zYOcNzS.png

Charcoal [Pokémon Tool Card]

T8OlPR0.png

Whenever an attack of the Pokémon this card is attached to damages your opponent's Pokémon, that attack does 10 damage to each of your opponent's Benched Pokémon.

T8OlPR0.png

Never-Melt Ice [Pokémon Tool Card]

z5d6ziS.png

Whenever a Basic
z5d6ziS.png
Energy becomes discarded from the Pokémon this card is attached to, return that card to play attached to that Pokémon.

z5d6ziS.png

Spell Tag [Pokémon Tool Card]

bZ6k2ZH.png

When the Pokémon this card is attached to is damaged by an opponent's attack (even if it's Knocked Out), that Pokémon can't use the same attack during your opponent's next turn, even if it's moved to the Bench.

bZ6k2ZH.png

Metal Coat [Pokémon Tool Card]

2iQkpa9.png

When the Pokémon this card is attached to is damaged by an opponent's attack (even if it's Knocked Out), move 1 Energy card attached to that Pokémon to 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon.

2iQkpa9.png

Dragon Fang [Pokémon Tool Card]

YkWz5tL.png

When the attack of the Pokémon this card is attached to damages your opponent's Active Pokémon, that Pokémon is now Poisoned, Burned, and Confused.

YkWz5tL.png

Black Belt [Pokémon Tool Card]

KXfFG2d.png

When the Pokémon this card is attached to is Knocked Out, you may move all Basic
KXfFG2d.png
Energy cards attached to this Pokémon, to 1 of your other Pokémon that has Black Belt attached to it.

KXfFG2d.png

Dark Glasses [Pokémon Tool Card]

zpckazW.png

At the beginning of your turn, if the Pokémon this card is attached to is your Active Pokémon, place 2 damage counters on 1 of your opponent's Pokémon.

zpckazW.png

Silver Powder [Pokémon Tool Card]

6ROigcL.png

When the attack of the Pokémon this card is attached to damages your opponent's Active Pokémon, if that Pokémon tries to attack during your opponent's next turn, your opponent flips a coin. If tails, that attack does nothing.

6ROigcL.png

Last edited:
Full Art Supporters Part 1

Professor Juniper's Risky Investigation [Supporter]

Search your deck for a Supporter card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards. You may play that Supporter this turn. If you do, your turn ends.

Professor Sycamore's New Style [Supporter]

Shuffle your hand into your deck. Then, search your deck for up to 3 cards of different types, reveal them, and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.

Karen's Tight Strategy [Supporter]

Choose 1:

Discard your hand and draw 6 cards.
Shuffle up to 6 cards from your discard pile into your deck.

Hikari's Greatest Desire [Supporter]

Draw 6 cards. Then, put 3 cards from your hand on the bottom of your deck in any order.

Last edited:
Full Art Supporters Part 2

Toko's Hot Skills [Supporter]

Search your deck for a Stage 2 Pokémon with the same type as 1 of your Stage 2 Pokémon in play and put it onto the Bench. You may also choose up to 2 Pokémon in your deck that card evolves from and discard those cards. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

Clair's Elite Invitation [Supporter]

Draw 5 cards. Then, discard cards from your hand until you have 5 cards remaining.

Lance's Powerful Gambit [Supporter] [Prism Star] [2]

You can play this card only if your opponent has 3 or less Prize cards left.

If your opponent's Active Pokémon is Knocked Out by your next attack, place that card face up as 1 of your opponent's Prizes instead of discarding it. (Discard all other cards attached to that Pokémon.)

Last edited:
Xi Intensity

Diancie 70HP

Ξ Intensity [Ignore all reducing effects to the damage this Pokémon would deal and all increasing effects (excluding Weakness) to the damage this Pokémon would take.]

zYOcNzS.png
Temptation [30] Choose 1 of the Defending Pokémon's attacks. That Pokémon can only use that attack as long as this Pokémon remains in play.

3ZkQ4ZZ.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Dazzling Gleam [20x] Remove all damage counters from this Pokémon. This attack does 20 damage time the number damage counters removed. This Pokémon can't use Dazzling Gleam during your next turn.

Weakness:
2iQkpa9.png
x2
Resistance:
YkWz5tL.png
Retreat:
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png

Sharpedo 90HP

Ξ Intensity [Ignore all reducing effects to the damage this Pokémon would deal and all increasing effects (excluding Weakness) to the damage this Pokémon would take.]

{Ability} Rough Skin [If this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon and is damaged by an opponent's attack (even if this Pokémon is Knocked Out), put 2 damage counters on the Attacking Pokémon.]

z5d6ziS.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Hard Bite [40+] This attack does 10 more damage for each damage counter on your opponent's Active Pokémon.

Weakness:
ZGJ82Q3.png
x2
Resistance:
Retreat:

For Diancie, I wanted to do a design that would be a true gem. I really love the flare of the half-art cards, I think they're an amazing accent to more expensive premium content such as Pokémon EX and BREAK.

Diancie is a really beautiful Pokémon herself, with all kinds of brilliant potential as an half-art card. So for my one and only Ancient Trait Diancie, I definitely wanted to capture the full of that potential.

It all started with the development of the Ancient Trait ability itself, which I have to say, it's quite challenging to come up with something that's both unique in some way—and universally beneficial—without being entirely overpowered. After some very critical thinking, I finally came up with idea to neutralize all damage modifying effects. It was sweet, it was simple, and it was sure to be a helpful ability. The ability suited the context of the term Intensity very well, and even moreso it matched up perfectly with the gem of Diancie.

For the initial concept of the design, I wanted Diancie to be both tactical and powerful, yet also have a very light touch as well. For tactical power, my initial idea was an ability that restricts attacks in someway (similar to the [Torment] attack). However, instead of preventing the use of a chosen attack entirely, I wanted to restrict the Pokémon to a single attack instead. And it was from this that I came up with the ability for [Temptation]. It love the style of it entirely. It was a very provocative concept, matching Diancie perfectly in the sense of feminity.

I was a bit at odds with how exactly the chosen attack should be restricted. What I really wanted to do (and still contemplating) was to restrict the Pokémon hit with [Temptation] to the chosen attack, so long as that Pokémon remains in play.

Meaning, even if it switches out, it's still restricted to a single attack (and will not be reset unless it's returned from play and then replayed from the hand). I felt like this operating function could be the least it needs to make the ability actually useful.

Anything less than this, and I feared that [Temptation] is more likely to be of no use than anything else. After all, there are a number of special conditions the attack would be no good for anyways (such as ability Pokémon with a single attack—as well as Mega Pokémon with their very powerful attacks).

I was torn between options, but eventually it concerned me even more, that even despite the fact of the original restrictions—hard control that remains active in such a way would inevitably be far more overpowered than it would underwhelming. And it was from this discernment that I decided to dial the effect down to only remaining active so long as Diancie herself remains in play.

For the second attack, I wanted something that could heal Diancie of all damage, because I had initially conceived for the design to possess a low amount of HP to act as its primary challenging factor. A low amount of HP was just the light touch that I was looking for. It would make an excellent compliment to the Intensity ability—as well as the restriction power of [Temptation].

To make things even more interesting (and add even more dynamic potential to the card), I had conceived the idea for Diancie's second attack to deal damage equal the amount of damage counters removed. The first incarnation of this attack was initially the same as the current version—only dealing 30 damage for each damage counter removed instead.

After a bit of consideration on the power-level there, I respectfully dialed it down to 20 damage per damage counter—which although may not be able to dish out many one-hit KO's against Pokémon EX—is still considerably powerful enough to make for an amazing attack.

Lastly, I added the resistance to Dragon-type just for the style of something new. I think it's a neat accent for the dynamics of a new Ancient Trait card—and completes the design in ways.

For Sharpedo, you might notice that this design looks strikingly familiar. And the reason for this—is because it's basically the [Team Plasma] Sharpedo from Plasma Storm. Personally, I felt like that card could have been a really great design, if only they hadn't made the effect of the attack so underwhelming. For two energy, a possible 60 damage really isn't worth much of anything (even with the {Rough Skin} ability and it's potential 2 damage counters).

What the attack's effect should have been, was an alternative version of {Second Bite}, which increases the damage of the attack by the number of damage counters already on the Defending Pokémon. With an attack like that, the [Team Plasma] Sharpedo would have been a truly great card (even despite its low HP).

An attack like that would have actually been the perfect compliment to such a challenging factor as low HP—as well as a perfect compliment to the nature of Sharpedo— and the effect of the {Rough Skin} ability.

I felt so passionately about this, that I decided to reincarnate the card entirely and redeem it as a truly great design. I don't even really mind the double ability factor, because the essence of only 90 HP on a Stage 1, with a two energy attack that requires colored energy are all surmounting factors of challenge. If anything, it just helps to balance everything out a little more—and completes the design as something very exciting to build a deck around.

Last edited:
Torkoal BREAK

Torkoal BREAK 140HP

{Ability} Supernova [When you play this card from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon, attach all
T8OlPR0.png
Energy cards from your discard pile to this Pokémon.]

Torkoal 100HP

T8OlPR0.png
Fireball [✨] This attack does 20 damage to 1 of your opponent's Pokémon plus 10 more damage for each
T8OlPR0.png
Energy attached to this Pokémon.

T8OlPR0.png
T8OlPR0.png
T8OlPR0.png
Overheat [40] Discard all
T8OlPR0.png
Energy attached to this Pokémon. This attack does 40 damage to each of your opponent's Benched Pokémon. The Defending Pokémon is now Burned.

Weakness:
z5d6ziS.png
2x
Resistance:
Retreat:
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png

Last edited:
That's a very interesting idea for Torkoal BREAK! It sounds quite powerful, yet you still need a significant amount of Energy to do anything decent. Furthermore, it is defeatable quite easily with the likes of Lugia-EX and Mewtwo-EX, and most other attacks. Possibly a bit too good on as a BREAK for a basic, but it is neat eitherway. ^.^

As a general thing, there technically shouldn't be a 20+ next to the Fireball attack, as that would mean 20 damage to the Active and 20 damage + extra to 1 of your opponent's Pokemon.

Thank you for that input. You are correct about that, it just seems to have skipped my mind. I've updated it for everyone.

As for the power-level, this is always a concern of mine, especially regarding the perspectives of other developers. I hate to develop something that excessively powerful, in the sense that it dramatically out-classes other developers' content. Why? Because that comes off a sloppy design. Something blatantly overpowered has no class to it whatsoever. It simply attempts to assert itself by power, rather than by technique or innovation. The very best designs are going to those that embody artistic attributes such as that, so naturally that is what I always aim for.

When considering the power-level, I worried that it might be too powerful with Devolution Spray, but when you juxtapose this with {Serene Grace} Togekiss—there's no comparison for power. That card is simply far more powerful, yet itself only does fairy well.

Given that Torkoal only does 40 damage, and itself is knocked out by 2 70 damage attacks, the window of opportunity to make best use of a single Torkoal is rather narrow. You'd have to chain them, which of course is always a possibility, but then again would embody an entire deck strategy.

Could it be too powerful then? Possibly. But remember than anything guarding bench damage shuts it down entirely, and some contra content such as that would likely be apart of the meta scene (as such content always is).

If I was doing an entire set development, I would implement something like that in a very strong form, so that it would be a prominent bonus to something else very useful that it does. Meaning that guarding bench damage would simply be a free bonus of the design, and it would also do something else uniquely useful. Would you want to build a deck so vulnerable to get shut down by a single card (a very prominent one at that)? Probably not. So when you factor in the product development phase, you'll see how quickly something like this can go from extreme power to extreme liability.

My next comparison for power-level was Camerupt-EX. When you compare the two, the big difference between Torkoal and Camerupt-EX, is that Camerupt EX is going to knock out anything with three Burning Energy, and Torkoal is only going to do a single instance of moderate spread damage. That's simply not enough to make an advance when you're up against a tough Active Pokémon, and that advance is going to mean everything to your success in that game.

It would have to add Confusion to ability, but that would likely put it over the top, and I'm striving to preserve some aspect of challenge here. Akin to that, I'd like to keep the effect as bare metal as possible, embodying pure damage and a non-disruptive Special Condition. This puts the design on level ground, without and disruptive element, where it's going to have to evenly slug it out for damage against whatever it's up against. That aspect creates somewhat of a vulnerability, and in that lies the challenging aspect.

Do you see what I mean? What are your thoughts now?

I really would like to say it's fairly balanced as it is.

Last edited:
To be honest, my view doesn't really change, if not I agree more with the balancing. It certainly has the potential to become an archetype, so I would say it is powerful, but it wouldn't BREAK the game. It certainly was an interesting read to know how you went through balancing! ^_^

I did just notice it has amazing synergy with Camerupt-EX, so that deck probably would jump up a tier or two if it would exist.

Lake Guardian Trio

Uxie 110HP

3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Future Sight [✨] Look at the top 5 cards of your deck and put them back on the top of your deck in any order.

bZ6k2ZH.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Gate Guardian [50] If Mesprit is on your Bench, the Defending Pokémon is now Confused. If Azelf is on your Bench, this attack is not affected by any effects on your opponent's Pokémon.

Weakness:
bZ6k2ZH.png

Resistance:
Retreat:
3ZkQ4ZZ.png

[It is said that looking into Uxie's eyes can restore your memories that you've lost in the past.]

Mesprit 110HP

3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Healing Wish [✨] Starting with your opponent, each player either draws or discards cards until he or she has 5 cards in his or her hand.

bZ6k2ZH.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Gate Guardian [50] If Uxie is on your Bench, put a card from your discard pile into your hand. If Azelf is on your bench, this attack is not affected by any effects on your opponent's Pokémon.

Weakness:
bZ6k2ZH.png

Resistance:
Retreat:
3ZkQ4ZZ.png

[It is said that being touched by Mesprit's body can fully restore your emotional capacity.]

Azelf 110HP

3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Confide [✨] Prevent all effects of your opponent's attacks, excluding damage, done to each of your Pokémon as long as this Pokémon remains in play.

bZ6k2ZH.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Gate Guardian [50] If Uxie is on your Bench, put a card from your discard pile into your hand. If Mesprit is on your Bench, the Defending Pokémon is now Confused.

Weakness:
bZ6k2ZH.png

Resistance:
Retreat:
3ZkQ4ZZ.png

[It is said that helping Azelf will fill you with the mobility to accomplish anything.]

I felt like the traditional folklore revolving around these three Pokémon was too negative, and therefore I've done my best to reflect their powers in a more positive light. That is the reason behind the flavor-text here.

Last edited:
Type-Enabling TMs

TM66 Fire Fang [Technical Machine]

[Attach this card to 1 of your Pokémon with 3 attacks or less. That Pokémon gains this card's attack as one of its own.]

T8OlPR0.png
Fire Fang [40] The Defending Pokémon is now Burned.

[Attach this card only to a Pokémon with a Basic
T8OlPR0.png
Energy attached to it. Damage from this attack is treated as damage from a
T8OlPR0.png
-type Pokémon instead of its normal type.]

TM21 Bullet Punch [Technical Machine]

[Attach this card to 1 of your Pokémon with 3 attacks or less. That Pokémon gains this card's attack as one of its own.]

2iQkpa9.png
Bullet Punch [40] Flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokémon can't attack during your opponent's next turn.

2iQkpa9.png
2iQkpa9.png

TM18 Punishment [Technical Machine]

zpckazW.png
Punishment [40] Discard a Pokémon Tool or Special Energy card attached to the Defending Pokémon.

zpckazW.png
zpckazW.png

TM32 Shock Wave [Technical Machine]

ZGJ82Q3.png
Shock Wave [40] This attack does 10 damage to each of your opponent's Benched Pokémon (Don't apply weakness or resistance for Benched Pokémon).

ZGJ82Q3.png
ZGJ82Q3.png

TM44 Flying Press [Technical Machine]

DH6FLp2.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Flying Press [60] Damage from this attack not affected by Resistance or any other effects that reduce damage.

DH6FLp2.png
DH6FLp2.png
-type Pokémon instead of its original type.]

TM73 Aqua Jet [Technical Machine]

z5d6ziS.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Aqua Jet [60] You may switch your opponent's Active Pokémon with 1 of his or her Benched Pokémon.

z5d6ziS.png
z5d6ziS.png

TM85 Leaf Blade [Technical Machine]

6ROigcL.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Leaf Blade [60] Damage can't be healed from the Defending Pokémon during your opponent's next turn.

6ROigcL.png
6ROigcL.png

TM50 Play Rough [Technical Machine]

zYOcNzS.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Play Rough [60] The Defending Pokémon and all of your opponent's Pokémon with the same name in play, in your opponent's hand, and in your opponent's discard pile has no Abilities until the end of your opponent's next turn.

zYOcNzS.png
zYOcNzS.png

TM01 Dragon Rage [Technical Machine]

3ZkQ4ZZ.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Dragon Rage [40] If this Pokémon has a Special Energy attached to it, this attack does 40 damage to 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance to Benched Pokémon).

[Attach this card only to a Pokémon with a Special Energy attached to it. Damage from this attack is treated as damage from a
YkWz5tL.png

TM99 Shadow Force [Technical Machine]

bZ6k2ZH.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Shadow Force [60] This attack's damage isn't affected by any effects on the Defending Pokémon.

bZ6k2ZH.png
bZ6k2ZH.png

Had this idea for TM cards that granted type boosts to their attacks. The initial idea started with Flying Press, which I came up with while I was just messing around on my phone with TM concepts. I really feel like the Furious Fists Hawlucha with Flying Press was a bad representation of the attack (which has nothing to do with Pokémon-EX in any relevant way). I personally feel like two abilities on the card should have been switched, but they obviously wanted to get the design down exactly as it was, and I can understand that.

Anyways, I tend to be a very progressive thinker. You can always go back on things if you're willing to—and you should always adapt a thing you did in the past to make it better later.

That's a really big principal of mine when it comes to content development, and I notice that tends to come in extra handy for Pokémon TCG development. They are known to do this themselves from time to time, but probably not as frequently as they should. Many of the attack effects tend to get initially presented in a very bland form, as though they didn't have the time, and just rushed to put it out there.

I like to frequently go over things like this and fix or adapt them if I can—and that was where the idea came from for Flying Press. It's an attack that grants both types, which fits the special concept of these TMs. The first type (Fighting) could be provided by the unique type bonus, and the second (Flying) could be easily adapted in the ability of the attack.

It came out really well. And from there, I began working with light attacks just trying to keep things simple and lite. A lite application is often the best for technical designs like this. That's what I wanted to stick with, and so running with that, Fire Fang was the second TM I began to develop.

I wanted to do something simple, just a single energy attack, that continued with a lite effect. But I quickly became at odds with how to balance out the power. There was one very serious aspect to consider for these designs—you absolutely don't want them to be underwhelming. An underwhelming attack isn't going to be worth the deck slot it takes up. Power matters a lot, and if the power of the attack is underwhelming, it's not going to be able to keep pace with the game. For this reason, I strongly felt like the power of Fire Fang (even at one energy) would have to be slightly elevated in respects to this.

Then I began to struggle with the concern not to overpower it. Because we are extending type bonuses, and that can distort the nature of the game structure a little bit. And this is where the energy restriction came from, which I am really still at odds with, because it concerns me that the restriction might be too demanding, and not enable as quick a deployment of the card as is needed.

However, the restriction is exclusive to this set of TM concepts, and does fairly well to provide a challenging factor—which is extremely important—as the aspect challenge is essential to the fun of the game.

To explain the opening attack clause, for those who might be confused by it (as it doesn't match the previous wording composure). I wanted to work with a wording composure that was more fluid, and tied into the nature of the concept more directly than done before.

Conventionally, the context would read "may use the attack on this card"—but the context of that wording composure is so detached—and doesn't provide the feel that a TM card should have. This is where the idea came from to make the wording composure more fluid, by stating that the Pokémon "gains this card's attack as one of its own"—which directs you straight to the attack on the card—and provides the feel of oneness that I strongly believe a TM or HM card should have.

I would have really loved to do some more original abilities here. But as I said, since I started out simple, I just wanted to stick with that as best as possible. I felt like there was a demand for simplicity here due to the nature of the design, and I didn't want to cross that line any. This is why the ability for Play Rough kind of makes me uneasy.

The effect is a little excessive, but for the same reason I adapted Flying Press from "not affected by Resistance" to add "or any damage reducing effects"—I didn't want the ability to be underwhelming—which it potentially would be if it didn't extend to all Pokémon with the same name.

Play Rough is a really big attack, so I think it does need a powerful ability like Hex Maniac to support it. It captures the essence of Play Rough really well, and I think it's very commonly believed that Hex Maniac was too narrow an ability to properly adapt onto the restrictive design of a Supporter card.

The rest of the designs and their effects are pretty transparent, just undecided if I should dial the power of the two energy attacks down to 50 damage. Wouldn't mind a little feedback on it.

Last edited:
Twisted Spoon

Twisted Spoon [Pokémon Tool Card]

bZ6k2ZH.png

Once during your turn (before your attack), you may look at the top 2 cards and the bottom 2 cards of your deck. Then, you may rearrange those cards in any way you like, and place them back on the top or bottom of your deck in any order.

bZ6k2ZH.png

They just recently released Twisted Spoon in Fates Collide, so I thought I would post my version of it here for speculation. Originally, this design was apart of the type-specific Tool cards cycle, alongside Spell Tag. Twisted Spoon was actually developed first, but in the final development process, I had to pick one or the other to make the official cut for the series, and ultimately I decided that Spell Tag was the greater choice, because it more offensive/defensively inclined to match the rest of the set.

The idea here was intended to enable the card advantage potential. Twisted Spoon utilizes a tactical effect that attempts to veer away from the general raw offense or defense potential that's become so accustom to Pokémon Tool Cards. Many Psychic cards already have all the offensive and defensive potential they need, where what the suite could potentially benefit from most is something a little more tactically adept. And that's really all there is to it.

The original design working from the bottom up, enabling players to look at the bottom 3 cards of their deck and place 1 of those cards on the top of their deck, but I've recently revisioned the design to work from the top and bottom at the same time, so that it's like when you're attacking it from the top and the bottom at the same time. I really love the accent that it adds, so this had become the final version of the design.

From a flavor standpoint, the design is intended to represent the aspect of a spoon acting as an amplifier for extra sensory power. In the sense of, a spoon of a special type of metal—that acts as an amplifier or an antenna of some kind—respectively increasing the holder's extra sensory potential beyond its typical range.

Last edited:
Porygon-Z EX & Froslass EX

Porygon-Z EX 130HP (He was poorly raised)

{Ability} Download [Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon is on your Bench, you may copy any number of stats among Weakness, Resistance, HP, Energy-type, and Retreat Cost from 1 of your opponent's Pokémon to this Pokémon.]

3ZkQ4ZZ.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Tri-Attack [60] Flip a coin. If heads, choose 1 Special Condition at random from Burned, Frozen, or Paralyzed. The Defending Pokémon is now affected by that Special Condition.

Weakness:
zpckazW.png
2x
Resistance:
DH6FLp2.png
Retreat:
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png

Froslass EX 170HP

bZ6k2ZH.png
Ominous Wind [30] Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. You may put 1 of them into your hand. Then, put the rest of those cards on the top or bottom of your deck in any order.

bZ6k2ZH.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Hadou Burst [70] You may discard a
z5d6ziS.png
Energy attached to this Pokémon. If you do, the Defending Pokémon is now Frozen.

Weakness:
zpckazW.png
2x
Resistance:
DH6FLp2.png
Retreat:
3ZkQ4ZZ.png

A Frozen Pokémon cannot attack, retreat, and its Abilities have no effect (cannot be used).

Between each player's turn, a player can discard an energy card attached to the Frozen Pokémon in order to remove the Special Condition from that Pokémon.

If a Frozen Pokémon becomes Burned, that Special Condition removes the effect of Frozen from that Pokémon.

No other Special Conditions remove the effect of Frozen. However, becoming Frozen removes the Special Conditions Asleep, Confused, Burned, and Paralyzed.

While a Pokémon is Frozen, it cannot become affected by any of those Special Conditions, except for Burned (as previously stated).

A Frozen Pokémon may also be affected by the Special Condition Poisoned while it is Frozen—and Poisoned is the only Special Condition that is retained when a Pokémon becomes Frozen.

Last edited:
Cloyster BREAK

Cloyster BREAK 130HP

{Ability} Icy Domain [As long as this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, whenever your opponent switches his or her Active Pokémon, your opponent's new Active Pokémon is now Frozen.]

Cloyster 90HP

z5d6ziS.png
Icicle Shards [40] Discard as many
z5d6ziS.png
Energy attached to this Pokémon as you like. This attack does 10 damage to each of your opponent's Benched Pokémon times the number of Energy discarded.

3ZkQ4ZZ.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Skull Bash [100] This Pokémon can't use Skull Bash during your next turn.

Weakness:
ZGJ82Q3.png

Resistance:
Retreat:
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png

Shellder 50HP

3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Air Tight [✨] Flip a coin. If heads, prevent all effects, including damage, that would be done to this Pokémon during your opponent's next turn.

Weakness:
ZGJ82Q3.png

Resistance:
Retreat:
3ZkQ4ZZ.png

Last edited:
Galactic Gear, Berzerk Gene, & PokéRus

Nanomachine [Team Galactic Secret Gear]

[Attach this Pokémon Tool to 1 Pokémon in play (yours or your opponent's) that doesn't already have a Pokémon Tool attached to it.]

The Pokémon this card is attached to has -20 Resistance to the type of your choice. If that Pokémon already has any Resistance, you may have Nanomachine change that Resistance to another type, or you may have Nanomachine give that Pokémon an additional -20 Resistance instead.

Gamma Blocker [Team Galactic Secret Gear]

[Attach this Pokémon Tool to 1 of your opponent's Pokémon that doesn't already have a Pokémon Tool card attached to it.]

If the Pokémon this card is attached to has any Special Energy attached to it, that Pokémon must discard an Energy to attack.

Ripcord [Team Galactic Special Weapons]

[Attach this Pokémon Tool to 1 of your opponent's Pokémon that doesn't already have a Pokémon Tool attached to it.]

Whenever the Pokémon this card is attached to attacks, discard all cards attached to that Pokémon. Then, return that Pokémon to its owner's hand.

Takumi Lock [Team Galactic Special Weapons]

[Attach this Pokémon Tool to 1 Pokémon in play (yours or your opponent's) that doesn't already have a Pokémon Tool attached to it.]

The Pokémon this card is attached to can't retreat or be moved to the Bench by any other effects.

Berzerk Gene [Pokémon Tool Card]

[Attach this Pokémon Tool to 1 of your Pokémon that doesn't already have a Pokémon Tool attached to it.]

As long as the Pokémon this card is attached to is your Active Pokémon, that Pokémon is Confused, and cannot have this Special Condition removed, or become affected by any other Special Condition that would remove being Confused.

Double the amount of damage that the Pokémon this card is attached to would deal to itself and all other Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

PokéRus [ACE SPEC]

[Attach this Pokémon Tool to 1 of your Pokémon that doesn't already have a Pokémon Tool attached to it.]

As long as the Pokémon this card is attached to is your Active Pokémon, whenever you attach an Energy card from your hand to this Pokémon, you may search your deck for an Energy card and attach it to 1 of your Benched Pokémon (excluding Pokémon-EX). Shuffle your deck afterwards.

If PokéRus would be discarded from play or detached from 1 of your Pokémon, shuffle PokéRus into your deck instead.

Last edited:
Cinnabar Laboratory, Omastar & Kabutops

Cinnabar Laboratory [Stadium]

Once during your turn (before your attack), you may put 1 Aerodactyl, Kabuto, or Omanyte from your hand or deck onto your Bench. If you searched your deck this way, shuffle it afterwards.

____
Kabuto 50HP

{Ability} Battle Pressure [Whenever your Active Pokémon attacks, you may search your deck for a card that evolves from this Pokémon and put it onto this Pokémon. (This counts as evolving this Pokémon.) Shuffle your deck afterward.]

3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Absorb [20] Heal from this Pokémon the same amount of damage you did to the Defending Pokémon.

Weakness:
6ROigcL.png
x2
Resistance:
T8OlPR0.png
Retreat:
3ZkQ4ZZ.png

Kabutops 100HP

DH6FLp2.png
Hyper Strikes [30x] For each of your Kabutops, flip a coin until you get tails. This attack does 30 damage times the number of heads.

DH6FLp2.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Cut N Run [70] The Defending Pokémon is now Paralyzed and Burned. Shuffle this Pokémon and all cards attached to it into your deck.

Weakness:
6ROigcL.png
x2
Resistance:
T8OlPR0.png
Retreat:
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png

Omanyte 60HP

3ZkQ4ZZ.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Five Star Formation [✨] Switch this Pokémon with one of your Benched Pokémon. Then, you may search your deck for a card that evolves from each of your Benched Omanyte and put those cards onto them. (This counts as evolving those Pokémon.) Shuffle your deck afterward.

Weakness:
6ROigcL.png
x2
Resistance:
T8OlPR0.png
Retreat:
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png

Omastar 120HP

{Ability} Morningstar Clutch [If this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon and is damaged by an opponent's attack (even if this Pokémon is Knocked Out), put 2 damage counters on the Attacking Pokémon for each of your Omastar Pokémon.]

z5d6ziS.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Brine [50] If the Defending Pokémon already has any damage counters on it, you may put a number of damage counters on the Defending Pokémon equal to the number of damage counters already on that Pokémon instead of this attacking dealing damage.

Weakness:
6ROigcL.png
x2
Resistance:
T8OlPR0.png
Retreat:
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png

Last edited:
Xi Intensity Mewtwo

Mewtwo 130HP

3ZkQ4ZZ.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Psyblast [20x] This attack does 20 damage times the number of Energy on both Active Pokémon.

bZ6k2ZH.png
bZ6k2ZH.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Zen Blade [100] Flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokémon is now Paralyzed.

Weakness:
bZ6k2ZH.png

Resistance:
Retreat:
3ZkQ4ZZ.png

Was building a deck today, looking for a "Colorless" Pokémon as an alternative offensive resource, and the question dawned on me as to why we didn't get an X Ball Mewtwo in the standard, non-EX Basic form. I think something like that would have been prime for the Zen Blade Mewtwo that we got, so I decided to take that idea and see if I could perfect it any.

I think that the effects of [Zen Blade] should have been in the place of [Psy Bolt], because if you think of like a Psychic blade, that's typically the exact kind of weapon that's going to paralyze you if it happens to pass through your body.

On a second note, I'm not exactly keen on the name X Ball for the first attack. I never liked the name to begin with, and have always thought that they could have come up with a better name for that attack. I personally think they have a lot of the names and effects for the Psychic attacks all jumbled up.

For example, X Ball should be Mist Ball or Psychic—Psychic should be Psywave—and damage only attacks like Giga Burn, Psyburn, and Psydrive should be Psystrike or Psycho Cut (another name I'm not even really fond of). Psyblast would have been a better generic name for a basic physical Psychic attack. It also makes a really great name in place of X Ball type attacks (which would have be at ends deciding between Psyblast and Psychic). I only say Psychic because it's such a prominent attack in the game, one that lives up to the legacy X Ball style attacks have created.

Psycho Cut should have probably been Zen Blade entirely (a compliment to Zen Headbutt), but I guess they could always change that in the future games. In this case, I would recommend Psycho Cut (Zen Blade) for damage only attacks, because Zen Blade should definitely be a Paralyzing attack.

On a final note, I was kind of at ends as to what Ancient Trait to roll with here. I think that Psi Link and Xi Purity could have both been really great exciting abilities for Ancient Trait Mewtwo. However, given the raw power of the card as it stands, I felt the urgency to base line this potential through the simplicity of the Xi Intensity. Psi Link and Xi Purity might have all kinds of flavor to them, but those abilities are so dynamic, that I think it would have pushed this design over the edge.

I don't like designs that are blatantly overpowered. That's not my style. I like challenge and I like balance, because I feel they are artisan qualities in design. Challenge is intellectual—and balance is polite. And I think both of these aspects are very important to the overall style of any given card, that you'd want to present to another player or designer.

Last edited:
Xi Purity Moltres

Moltres 120HP

Ξ Purity [Whenever this Pokémon becomes affected by the effects of an opponent's attack, Ability, or Trainer card (excluding damage), your opponent's Active Pokémon becomes affected by the same effect.]

{Ability} Purifying Fire [Once during your turn (before your attack), you may flip a coin. If heads, you may heal 20 damage and remove all Special Conditions from this Pokémon.]

T8OlPR0.png
T8OlPR0.png
T8OlPR0.png
Phoenix Blaze [90] Flip a coin. If heads, you may discard all cards attached to Moltres and shuffle it into your deck (after doing damage).

Weakness:
z5d6ziS.png
x2
Resistance:
DH6FLp2.png
Retreat:
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png

This idea came from another custom design that I saw online for a {Team Plasma} Moltres. The card was apparently designed for ancient times, as the Pokémon only had 90 HP, and the attack [Firenado] (a terrible choice in names) was four solid energy. Reading over the attack, I felt like it interesting effect that could be improved upon to make the card into a worthy Legendary Pokémon design.

Traditionally, I feel like there is a immense need for greatness when it comes to designing Legendary Pokémon cards. Despite how gray-zoned these Pokémon can be become (relative to their power in the games compared to other Pokémon—or the essence of their character naturally losing its luster in time). I feel like we should never let this cause us to lose touch with the context of the Legendary title.

In the real world, these would be immensely powerful and majestic Pokémon. And so, there should be a strict demand for reinforcing these qualities in their card designs (rather than catering to the void of black and white—or entirely grayed out perspectives). This takes a great thing—and makes miserably less of it. Something that never should be for anything Legendary—for it violates the very context of the term. For this reason, I strive bring everything to the table and not hold anything back when it comes to designing cards for Legendary Pokémon.

Now, since I've come up with the four custom Ancients Traits of mine, I haven't put them to much use. I'd like to fill these spaces out, so naturally, that's where I started when this idea to came to mind. For a Fire-type legendary Pokémon, I quickly felt like the Xi Purity ability would make a perfect fit, because this concept suites the legendary notion of Purity—that is legendarily related to mythical fire—as well as an aspect of importance to mythical creatures.

Traditionally, many of them are known to be either pure by nature—or strictly govern the precepts of purity (be it of purity of character or otherwise). Accompanying this, I felt like the choice here was clear. However, after following through with the rest of the design, I found myself in a technical spot, where I would have to make an adaptation to the Xi Purity ability itself if I wanted to retain the design as it stood. This adaptation involved isolating the effect of Xi Purity to extend exclusively to an opponent's effects.

I had really hoped to retain a true worldly, universal ability to embody the aspect of "Purity' in the Ancient Traits effect. However, that will have to go for its own stand-alone design now. And I guess the "purity" concept can still make a lot of sense from a passive Kung-fu perspective. In the sense of, the purity of remaining still, and working off your opponent's aggressive momentum.

All things considered—a very nice recovery for me. ^ ^''

Now, regarding function, what we have here with Moltres...is like a superbug. An array of abilities and effects that striving to reflect greatness, yet also trying to stay true to the factors of challenge, that have been set down by the game. Akin to this, the big aspect here involved retaining the maximum HP of 120 for this design.

Traditionally, I prefer a minimum of at least 130 HP for a legendary Basic Pokémon. Why? Because it's the minimum amount needed to exceed the standards of convention—and break the precipice of the modern damage stack. However, the realism factor demanded for to take a step down from this—which I've done—and sought to compliment it as tactically as possible in the assortment of effects and abilities.

Moltres is still a legendary Pokémon—so it should be a reckoning force beyond all else. That HP factor can naturally be a significant contributor for this, but since challenge and realism demands for me to tune it down here—I would have to make up for it with technicality.

And this is where the idea for the {Purifying Fire} Ability came from. If Moltres is going to have an amount of HP that falls in-line on the boundary of the modern damage stack, it would need an ability that can potentially resist being pushed across this line, which I felt should also include the resistance against Special Conditions somehow. And so this is how the ability came together. And with its placement, I felt like the greater half of the design had been perfected.

Moving on to the attack. The original design required far too many energy, but the design must retain some aspect of challenge.

Since we have Blacksmith now, the hike of three energy is significantly lessened for Fire-types. However, that is a ring of its own to jump through—and without it—there are several technicalities that one has to considered before assigning a Pokémon a single attack requiring the three full energy to use.

Damage, usefulness, and the total waste factor are among the most prominent aspect. However, I felt like all of this was already well covered by the effect of the {Purifying Fire} Ability. With that considered, I felt like the only aspect that had to be assured from here—was usefulness.

This is where I took a deep lunge to express a sense of majesty and greatness for the Pokémon. I retained the original effect, numbed the cost to a comfortable, yet still considerably challenging three energy, while also retaining the sizeable amount of 90 damage.

For the effect, it would need something more comfortable. The first effect was far too consequential. Potentially existing as a cost that person can't afford to pay (the likes of something far too severe—and thus far too great a gamble for any reasonable player to consider using).

The effect itself seemed to have great potential in regards to both the function and fantasy venues. So I took the base of the effect, and inverted it to act as benefactor against the opponent's knockout potential. Then, I accenting the flip of the coin as an aspect of challenge (so that the effect isn't so easily abused). And with that, I felt like the design was entirely perfected; serving as a great example of legendary Pokémon design.

Last edited:
Basic Swarmer Giratina

Giratina 130HP

bZ6k2ZH.png
Spite [20] During your opponent's next turn, the Defending Pokémon must discard an Energy before attacking.

6ROigcL.png
bZ6k2ZH.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Dragon Rush [70] You may have this attack deal its damage to 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon instead. If you do, put damage counters on this Pokémon until its remaining HP is 10. If the remaining HP is already 10, this Pokémon is Knocked Out instead (after doing damage).(Apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

Weakness:
zYOcNzS.png

Resistance:
Retreat:
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png

This design originally had the ψ Corrupt Ancient Trait, but I've moved it over to Spiritomb instead, as a I felt like the finished design here was already powerful enough as it stood between its attacks alone. I felt like the Ancient Trait became tacky, and pushed the design over the top.

This Giratina is already a powerful swarmer—and I feel like it's bad style for any card to be designed in attempts to serve more than one good purpose. With that in mind, as the Swarmer attribute was the dominant one between the two, the Ancient Trait was honorably relinquished in respect of it.

Last edited:
ψ Corrupt Spiritomb

Spiritomb 100HP

ψ Corrupt [When you play this card from your hand to the Bench, your opponent reveals a card at random from his or her hand. Then, you may discard that card if it's not a Supporter or Special Energy.]

3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Call from Beyond [✨] Search your deck for 3 Basic Pokémon (excluding Pokémon-EX), reveal those cards, and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

3ZkQ4ZZ.png
3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Night Shade [40] If this attack's damage would be prevented or reduced by any amount, put 4 damage counters on the Defending Pokémon. This effect is not affected by any effects on your opponent's Pokémon.

Weakness:
Resistance:
Retreat:
3ZkQ4ZZ.png

One of the most unique type of designs I've come to know in the Pokémon Trading Card Game—is the setup design. There are quite a number of them, and if you pay attention, you might notice that the developers seemingly strive to constantly implement new and unique designs like this. These designs expand upon our deck-building options, and can enable many new deck-types based on the articulation of the design itself.

By nature, I'm a man of complexity, so intricate concepts like this are among my very favorite types of cards to develop. I love the creativity involved, and I feel like it's great ground to stretch my wings and see if I can do something impressive.

From a development perspective, setup designs are very important for the integrity of your project. Without them, your entire TCG development can fall into the obscure shadows of Slugger and Swarmer play styles. Everyone just throws their Active Pokémon out there, and they take turns attacking until one of them has collected all of their prize cards. Boring.

I like to breed diversity in my designs, so naturally I didn't want all of the Ancient Trait cards that I develop to be purely offensive—Slugger and Swarmer types of designs. I made it a priority of mine to rise to the challenge and do some unique setup designs if I could. And that's where we begin with Spiritomb.

I wasn't really expecting to be able to anything entirely unique (although I would have liked to), so I moved along to the next best thing—which is taking something classic and doing it in a new and unique way. Utilizing the Ancient Trait ability here, [Call from the Beyond] strives to do just that.

[Call from the Beyond] is the primary setup function. It enabling us to search for 3 Basic Pokémon (excluding Pokémon EX) and put them into our hand. In my initial concept, I wanted to make this effect broad to ensure its effectiveness, but I also wanted to limit it in some significant way so that it would remain stylish. The 3 Basic Pokémon cover the depth factor, giving us wide spectrum of resourcing—while putting them into the hand (instead of onto the bench)—and excluding Pokémon EX from the effect remain stylish restrictions.

Putting them into the hand instead of onto the bench makes the effect somewhat prone to disruption. Which is fairly stylish, given how first Spiritomb has a fair amount of HP, and second how searching for 3 Pokémon is considerably an above-average power level effect.

Excluding Pokémon EX prevent it from being broken, but was majorly intended to isolate the design, and force players to do more unique things with it. The design is intended to suite an advanced style of deck-building, so it's only right that it attempts to force restrictions around that.
Doing anything more would simply be over the top, [Call from the Beyond] already works wonders to open up space for more tactical Stage 1 & Stage 2 deck-building. It's a powerful tactical retrieval—that sets the foundation for the rest of the challenge to take wing (completing the puzzle).

As I've said before, all great designs bridge on some aspect of challenge or another. It doesn't have to be a complex challenge. It can be as simple as linking one card with another. All that matters—is that some aspect of challenge is present—because it's putting those cards together that makes the game fun.

Now, there is only so much space on the bench, which considerably reduces the usefulness of [Call from the Beyond] to nothing outside of your opening turns. But as a neat bonus, you can use the effect to summon up to 3 more Spiritomb from your deck, and potentially launch a heavy ψ Corrupt wave against your opponent.

Kind of scary, huh? Well, I just think that makes the design even better! Spiritomb is supposed to be a scary Pokémon—so there's definitely all kinds of style points in that.

Not to fear too much though. I've improvised the Psi Corrupt ability, and adapted this version to especially suite Basic Pokémon. In doing so, I also updated the original version (accustom for Stage 1 Pokémon)—which now requires a coin flip for balance. Well, I actually revised that one first, then taking that improvisation, I further restricted it to prevent certain keycards from being discarded. Basic Pokémon are very stealthy, so you'd never want the level of disruption to get out of hand. Anything that could shut off your opponent's momentum too strongly (such as discarding Supporter cards) should be considered out of the question.

That detracts from the aspect of challenge. Disruption is very powerful, so you should be able to work with a less is more principal. Be happy with what you get—it can still be very significant.

Moving along, the design had to have some kind of damage dealing attack, because I'm pretty sure it's like unwritten law or something. You'll never see a Pokémon (or a card linked to a Pokémon) that can't deal any damage. This principal is likely to ensure continuity, to help prevent sanctioned games from falling into excessive stasis (or standstill).

Honestly, I wasn't sure what to do here. I wanted to do something unique, but it's just the likes of something easier said than done at this age of the game. Suddenly, a neat concept came to mind revolving around Resistance. I thought that it would be really fun if the design had a function that could turn the tables against the upper-hand in some way. It takes what would be a laughable situation for a player—and turns it into a tense one. Aahh—in true Spiritomb style!

I didn't want it to be too much. I had imaged something along the lines of inching along—at an accelerated pace. Just something that puts the pressure on a player, not something that totally obliterates their hopes. What I ended up with was something a little underwhelming more than anything else, yet it still does what I intended—so given the power level of the rest of the design, is just an aspect that I'd have to make peace with taking a backseat.

As a primary challenge for the attack, I wanted to match the game's effect for Night Shade in the best and most unique way I could come up with. I thought to do something that prevented players from getting over on the amount of damage that [Night Shade] does (as in the game it's an attack that does just that)—and so it was actually from that the concept came to life.

I had tinkered with a few variations, but eventually settled on this one because it was the most balanced. I kind of wanted the effect to be more universal in someway (given how prominent the Night Shade attack was in the game)—but I think it still works out pretty good given how prominent damage reducing effects are in the TCG.

Additionally however, the effect combos with another card of my design Nanomachine, a Pokémon Tool card that enables you to add or change the Resistance of Pokémon that the card is attached to. A very considerable tech, specifically if you would be running Spiritomb in decks that prominently struggle with Resistance (such as Fighting-type and Dark-type).

All's well that ends well, I guess.

On a final note, there's also a secret concept about this design. It's intended to reflect "A Light in the Black"; a prominent Rainbow song, off their Rainbow Rising album. And this is the secret behind Spiritomb's Dark-type and the fully colorless attacks. Spiritomb is a "A Light in the Black". Maybe over the heads of some, but is a really cool Easter egg for those who'd get the reference.

Last edited:
ψ Link Rotom

Rotom 70HP

ψ Link [Once during your turn (before your attack), you may choose an Ability of 1 of your Pokémon and use it for this Pokémon (in place of this ability) as long as this Pokémon remains in play.]

3ZkQ4ZZ.png
Magnetec [✨] Search your deck for up to 3 Item cards, reveal them, and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

ZGJ82Q3.png
Haunted Zone [30] Reveal up to 2 Item cards from your hand with different names. You may use the effects of those cards for this attack.

Weakness:
zpckazW.png
2x
Resistance:
DH6FLp2.png
Retreat:
3ZkQ4ZZ.png

The development of this design was paired with the ψ Corrupt Spiritomb. The idea behind the concept was to create a pair of setup styled designs. I like to design my cards as though I'm developing a set. I feel like it's very good practice to gain experience with. It can help to broaden your experience with balancing out your set projects, so long as you actually have a sense of the game's dynamics (such as the flow of the cards—and other core aspects such as the damage stack and play value of specific effects).

Balance is very important, because the absence of it in any set skews the fractions, and throws the advantage over to specific sides. Naturally, when you're creating a card game with many different fractional play options, you want each one to be able to complete, so that player's will be able to enjoy them all.

Now, there are some hotfixes around this, or akin to this I should say. One of which in the Pokémon TCG involves utilizing the Colorless energy for "Setup" style attack effects. This technique takes one card—and gives it universal potential—thus covering every fraction equally. Universal potential like this is one of the greatest attributes to a great "Setup" card.

However, when doing this, there are a number of technicalities one should keep in mind. The first is don't overdue it. Keep the number of designs like this very limited, so their uniqueness isn't adulterated by the presence of many other cards like them. The second is to always work with the native color, type, or energy somewhere in the design. And when doing so, try to make it something special, so that using the card in its natural domain gives it some special flare.

The third is to never limit yourself from color or type specific "Setup" style effects—but instead understand the importance of them—because they give unique support to their respective divisions. There is a restriction to type and color specific effects, and this enables you to do more dynamics things without the design quickly becoming overpowered.

Whenever you're working with Colorless, you have to mind your limitations, but that wasn't the intention here. My initial concept was to design an Ancient Trait Rotom, whose HP is notoriously low, and that restrictive condition naturally giving me some space powerwise elsewhere. I wanted to do something really powerful, juxtaposed with the fact that Rotom is like a legendary Pokémon in much fashion, yet is likely to have a very limited use with as low as its HP will have to be.

The best thing I could think up was an effect that searched for three Item cards. It's stylish, it's interactive, and it gives the design a decent measure of utility under limited conditions of use. It was instantly perfect to me, for a stylish Pokémon with such low HP. This is type of stylish power I had always fantasized Rotom should have, so I was naturally delighted to finally set things right.

As the perfect finishing touch, I gave it a very stylish name, that was intended to embody the entire concept of the attack and its relation to Rotom's nature. The attack's concept perfectly matches Pokémon's Ghost/Electric nature—and the effect perfectly matches the concept of that. And thus, we get the name Magnetec—which stylishly relates to the concepts of a helpful ghost, Items, magnetism, and the nature of the effect being such an amazing tech.

For the second attack, I instantly had the idea to do an effect that was synergistic with the first, yet with a few more technical aspects in mind supplementary to that. The first was to make it a colored attack, so that the design would have some unique potential in its native suite. The second was for the attack to have some unique utility for itself, so that if player has to, they have the potential to switch up to a Swarmer style of play and make a quick offensive.

Haunted Zone was ultimately the product of this. It works in unison with the effect of the first attack (utilizing Items), while enabling its own stand-alone potential, so that a player can switch up between starting attacks as they need to. The aspect of Rotom's low HP perfectly balances the power above all. Given the common fact that most decks boast Slugger and Swarmer style of play, you're likeliest to only get the chance to only use one attack or the other.

Lastly, I came up with name for the attack imaging Rotom in some haunted house setting, with floating butcher knives (or other random items) revolving around Rotom (intending to kill a person, scare them away, or maybe just bewilder them). And once again the name was the perfect finishing touch, completing the major half of the design with very little left to be done afterwards.

The very final finishing touch for the design came with the change of Weakness and Resistance types. In the game, Rotom is immensely resistant to the "Fighting" types due to being a Ghost type. For this reason, it seems entirely wrong to give Rotom weakness to Fighting simply because it's an Electric type. Once again seeking to set things right, I utilized the Dark-type reflecting the weakness of Ghost instead, and signed it off with a resistance to Fighting, which I believe adds even more unique style to the design overall. Truly as dynamic as it should be.

Last edited:
Back