Read my Address to the Congress of the United States of America

le Roi-Soleil

PokéBeach Staff Alumnus
It is on this day that we Americans celebrate our independence from a formerly tyrannical régime. This day also marks another milestone for me, as I addressed Congress on an important issue: corruption.

Here is the full transcription:

"
CONGRESSIONAL ADDRESS FROM THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

4 July 2014​

Esteemed Delegates of the supreme legislative authority of the United States of America,

We, the People, of the United States of America, on the 238th Anniversary of our Independence, do proclaim these grievances, in order to preserve this Union, establish proper justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare of the People, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity.

The corruption that has plagued this institution for far too long must be abolished.

Congress of the United States of America, if you are unwilling or incapable of acting in joint effort, for the benefit of the People of the United States of America, then we, the People, do recognize that this Congress no longer functions but to serve its own ambitions, and not those of the People for whom it was established.

The 113th Congress of the United States of America has been overcome by petty differences, refusing to join together, as a unified entity, in our common interests, to function for the benefit of We, the People, of the United States of America.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness—that to secure these rights, governments are instituted among the People, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed—that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security—such has been the patient sufferance of the People; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former systems of government.

We plead with you, Congress, to act upon the accord of We, the People, and not upon the accord of your personal interests, for you hold full responsibility, at this point in time, to enact policies that benefit us.

You must choose. Shall you stand with the People of this nation, or shall you stand against the People of this nation?

Signed,

Dustin J. Chandler-Hudgins DéVine (D-GA), on Behalf of
The People of the United States of America and Senator Floyd Hudgins (D-GA)"[/align]

What say you on this matter? Do you agree or disagree? State your positions, and remember to keep it CLEAN.

J

Juliacoolo

What are you trying to say? I can see that you put a lot of effort into this, but this seems to be a rather empty address. Unless I'm missing something, it seems as though you're asking for the government to end it's corruption and to basically just treat people fair. Mentioning the right to overthrow and such makes the address sound like a simple paraphrasing of Lockean Philosophy. What are you really trying to say here?

bacon

!!!!!
Somewhat agree. When you cut out the fluff, the message boils down to "Don't be evil". A noble claim for sure, but it's empty without providing specific/solid examples of the petty bickering between parties leading to the suffering of the public.

When you have little substance and the majority of your letter is trying to claim the moral highground, then it sounds arrogant and patronising. You're making these grand claims and not bothering to justify your position with a well constructed argument. Think it through more carefully and don't base the meat of your letter on appeal to emotion.

I'd remove the "creator" reference and keep it secular too.

You can make this much better, IMO. Try again.