Collecting Rarity Distribution

BtmnPenguin

Aspiring Trainer
So I basically just want to vent about something that has been bothering me with the TCG sets recently. I don't really play competitively (just sometimes online) so am basically just a collector.

For other collectors out there, is it just me or is it extremely frustrating that the newer sets (mainly the Black/White and XY eras) consist of nearly half rare or above? It becomes increasingly difficult to collect them all when packs only have 1 (sometimes 2) rare(s) in them. With Evolutions being released, 52 of the 113 cards in the set are rare or better (46%).

For comparison, going back to the Diamond and Pearl era, Great Encounters for example has 36/106 rare or better (33%). Ex Ruby and Sapphire has 35/109 (32%), and the original Base Set has 32/102 rare or above (31%).

Newer sets are flooded with Rare, Holos, Ex, BREAK, Mega, Secret, and Full Art cards that it's just obnoxiously frustrating trying to obtain them all. Not to mention my pockets aren't too happy!

Someone tell me I'm not the only one who is bothered by this.

Rant over. Thanks for letting me vent!

Honestly, this is one of the reasons I prefer Japanese cards. Pull Rates are better overall, and there are no junk rares, so each pack is more meaningful. Some of the EX/M/BREAK Pokémon are also released in decks or other products instead of sets.

Back