Help Rare cards are there reverse and holo for all?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Trading Card Game' started by Nigel Smith, May 5, 2020.

1. Nigel Smith Aspiring Trainer
    Nigel Smith

Hi all, I am fairly new to collecting and I was led to believe that rare cards had reverse holo and holo versions. I was wondering if this was true? I am currently collecting Crimson Invasion and I am struggling to find rare holo of a few cards, one example being Beedrill. There are plenty of reverse out there but no holo. I am having the same issue with some of the other rare cards too. Am I chasing cards that don't exist or are they just not for sale? Any help and advice would be great. Thanks.

2. CrownAxe Aspiring Trainer
    CrownAxe

rares are either holo or non-holo standard not both. then regardless every card has a reverse holo version

Nigel Smith likes this.
  3. Nigel Smith Aspiring Trainer
    Nigel Smith

Hey thanks for the reply. So to clarify if a rare card has a normal it won't have a holo it'll only have a reverse, and if it has a holo it won't have a normal?

The reason I ask as in my evolutions set I have a rare Mewtwo normal, reverse and holo so it's confused me a little.

4. Otaku The wise fool?
    Otaku

My understanding is that in sets from the last - 10 years? - there are Reverse Holos for the Commons, the Uncommons, the Rares, and the Holographic Rares. Holographic Rares are the "Super Rare" of the Pokémon TCG. There are times when a particular card is available as both a normal Rare and a Holo Rare (or all three), but those are special circumstances (namely, padding out a small set XP). I think the ID number is different between the Rare and Holo Rare versions in those cases.

Another one of those circumstances is what happened with Mewtwo (XY - Evolutions 51/108). The normal Rare and the Reverse Holo are from the actual set. If you have a holographic rare of it, it is probably the "Cracked Ice Holofoil" version from the Theme Deck (Mewtwo Mayhem). If there is a big "XY EVOLUTIONS" stamp on it, then it would be the Pre-Release promo; back then, Pre-Release Promos kept the normal set numbering. If you really like collecting that card, there's also the staff version; like the one I just described but with a gold "Staff" foil stamp on it, in addition to the set one.

Merovingian and Nigel Smith like this.
  5. Nigel Smith Aspiring Trainer
    Nigel Smith

Thanks very much, that helps so much. I guess my collection is closer to being complete than I thought

Viewing Now: 0 Members + 0 Guests

There are no registered members viewing this forum. Why not register here and start a discussion?