Rap

Electimortar

BARK BARK BARK
What do you guys think about rap, these days? Right now, I feel like rap these days is just an electronic voice talking about money/sex/drugs, and most rappers that put their heart and soul into their songs don't get recognized. What do you think?

I agree with you for the most part. I don't like heavy rap, but there are a few I like. Watching the music videos of rap songs shows how disturbing they are. I agree that they should rethink rap these days.

I like rap very occasionally, and I'm very picky with the rap music I listen to. Some Jay-Z stuff, anything by Bashy is usually okay, and most mainstream sort of top the charts isn't bad. I don't classify it is as music, and acknowledge that many of the artists don't have really any talent, but its sometimes good to listen to.

Music is like candy: throw the rappers away.

I absolutely hate rap. Most of them can't even properly articulate themselves, and as such you wind up with choppy at best, just plain out sloppy at worst lyrics. I, myself, find it to be one of the more rudimentary forms of expressing oneself. That is not to say that just because you rap makes you a bad performer; I have listened to a few rap songs that were pretty good, and several rappers aren't actually half-bad. But for the most part, the genre has become incredibly depressing to look at, even to listen to.

So yeah.

I think most of you don't see what you're trying to say. Rap of today, is like rap of the past. Rap follows a trend, most don't even have good lyrics. Hip-Hop on the other hand has the lyrics that can move, but its the lack of a catchy hook and or beat that keeps most hip hop from being mainstream. With that being said, Rap ain't all too bad, its just a new trend thats happening. And ya, ok they use auto-tune. How many artists use autotune? Reba, Rascal Flatts, Tim McGraw, all the way to Britney Spears, and Lady Gaga all use autotune to give them the perfect pitch when singing. So would you rather have people use it for voice effects (lil wayne/t-pain) or to fake their singing talents?

Big fan. I like Kanye West, his stuff is pretty laid back with a good beat. Lil Wayne is really good, somewhat an aquired taste. His label young money has some good stuff, i'm a fan of gudda. TI isn't bad, but i only listen to a couple of his. And I agree rap doesn't take much talent unless you freestyle or write your own stuff

I really don't like rap. It's all so generic. But Pokechamp's post pretty much sums it up.

PokeChamp said:
Music is like candy: throw the rappers away.

I absolutely hate rap. Most of them can't even properly articulate themselves, and as such you wind up with choppy at best, just plain out sloppy at worst lyrics. I, myself, find it to be one of the more rudimentary forms of expressing oneself. That is not to say that just because you rap makes you a bad performer; I have listened to a few rap songs that were pretty good, and several rappers aren't actually half-bad. But for the most part, the genre has become incredibly depressing to look at, even to listen to.

So yeah.

Nah, you're all like racist against rap.

At the end of the day good music is defined by the listener. The fact that rappers get are so successful shows that people listen to them. I'm not personally a huge fan of rap, although I have a good 30, 35 raps on my i-pod, etc. If people like it and it keeps you happy, who cares about anything else? Just listen to the music you like individually and don't criticise awesome people like Bashy who writes sogns from the heart.

ON the other hand, Eminem and P-Diddy's (sp prolly) latest scandal was just attrociously funny. If you don't know what happened, I can't reallllly post it up here but I'm sure you all know. If you don't, goole "Eminem remove ribs" - those words should do :D

Rap is absolutely stupid in my opinion, I don't see what's special about some autotuned chav talking.

Flame Claw said:
Rap is absolutely stupid in my opinion, I don't see what's special about some autotuned chav talking.

Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, Rascall Flatts, Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, Rihanna, they all use auto-tune to adjust their vocals. Atleast rap uses it for sound effects. These people use it to make them sound like they can sing.

PheonyxXx said:
Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, Rascall Flatts, Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, Rihanna, they all use auto-tune to adjust their vocals. Atleast rap uses it for sound effects. These people use it to make them sound like they can sing.
Wow, and to think I like them even less than rap!

I'm "meh" towards a lot of music, and rap is no exception. How unfortunate for those who "put their heart and soul into it", but people who put their heart and soul into into slamming their head against the wall don't get any respect either (though the shape of their heads might get them recognized in the long term)... I'm not sure where I was going with that.

^U INSULTING ME CUZ MY HEAD IS SQUARE IS YOU?

I just seriously think that however much people dislike a certain typ eof music, why be critical of it if it is enjoyed by people? I find the same ting with literay critics. I don't bleeding care if the writing isn't as good as george orwell who was actually called Eric Blair so suck on that, or if the author hasn't used metophorcial devices in an efective manner. If I enjoyed reading it, and it brought happiness and emotion or in other cases it moved me and brought sad but sad in a good way sad emotions to me, then hasn't it acheievd it's purpose, wheher according to my english teacher Eric Orwell is better or not?

Actually animal farm is an incredible book, buts thats beside the point so is alex rider :)

People say :" Oh the harry potter books suck JK rowling can't write ", but even if there is truth in that the story line was clever gripping and cool, and the books were an enjoyable read.

Its the same with music. Whether its musically good or not, if you enjoy listening to it you enjoy listening to it! Like I'm really into punk, and a lot of my friends hate it but I just say to them if I enjoy it hasn't it done its job as music?

I'll stick to Nirvana, Blink-182, and Paramore if you don't mind.

P.S. If I were elected ruler of the world the first thing I would do is create a law stating that anyone who makes a new rap album, gets the guillotine. >:D

ArceusShayminLovr said:
I'll stick to Nirvana, Blink-182, and Paramore if you don't mind.

P.S. If I were elected ruler of the world the first thing I would do is create a law stating that anyone who makes a new rap album, gets the guillotine. >:D

Well I guess I'd be receiving the guillotine.

Rap can be good; judging an entire genre based on the five or six songs that most of the posters in this thread have probably heard is a tad silly.

I'm not a fan of rap or hip-hop, but really, most genres are about 90% crap. Sturgeon's Law and all that.

All of you saying that rap is bad probably only listen to a few mainstream artists, there are many sub-genres in rap, but you guys are only addressing the pop radio and auto-tune songs, i feel bad that you guys are saying this without even listening to all the other artist that are out there, my favorite sub-genre is gangsta rap, because i feel like i relate to what a couple of the artist that I listen to are saying, i don't say lady gaga is awful, i don't say metallica is crud, i guess what i'm saying is, don't say rap sucks if you don't listen to rap

rappermi said:
All of you saying that rap is bad probably only listen to a few mainstream artists, there are many sub-genres in rap, but you guys are only addressing the pop radio and auto-tune songs, i feel bad that you guys are saying this without even listening to all the other artist that are out there, my favorite sub-genre is gangsta rap, because i feel like i relate to what a couple of the artist that I listen to are saying, i don't say lady gaga is awful, i don't say metallica is crud, i guess what i'm saying is, don't say rap sucks if you don't listen to rap

This is one of the greatest points I have read in this thread so far (minus my auto-tune point). Rap has been broken down into so many sub-genres, such as say rock. In rap, you have gangsta, midwest, crunk, east coast, west coast, and horrorcore.

In rock, you have sub-genres such as Metal, Thrash Metal, Grunge, Pop/Glam Rock, Emo, Screamo, etc...

PheonyxXx said:
For another point - I can't stand modern pop. If Artists need autotune to sound decent, you know there's something wrong with the industry.

Back