Rant: Buying Old Pokémon Games

(sgtfrog)

good boi
So lately I've been into playing older Pokemon games (GBA) to be specific. I noticed that lately the price of these games gone up drastically. Like a used copy of FR and LG range from 40 to 75 bucks. Even R/S, one of the most sold gba games are high priced. It's ridiculous. Recently I found a copy of FR for 20 bucks which is a steal. Like, just because they are old doesn't mean they are worth a lot. I'm also tired of all these counterfeit games as well. If your going to play Pokemon game and don't care much for the story, get a jap copy because they are rediculoisly cheaper. Half my collection is even jap copies because they are cheaper. But wait, even some of those are bootleg too. I got a bootleg copy of Japanese Gold and it was BAD. And the price of red and blue are pretty bad too, I'm just gonna wait for the hype of Pokemon GO and Pokemon 20th to blow over so the prices drop. However, I noticed a few 4th gen games have dropped in price, so that's good.

Last edited:
Yeah, the prices of older games and products have definitely been skyrocketing over the last few months thanks to the 20th anniversary and especially the popularity of Pokémon Go. It's just supply and demand; supply for these old games is the same or decreasing while the demand is increasing. Like you said, waiting for the hype to die down is your best bet. Good luck with your collection. :)

About 2 years ago, I bought Emerald for less than $45 from a very reliable online store. The price has obviously exploded since then, so I'm very glad I got it when it was cheaper. You have to buy old games before or after a big hype (like Pokemon Go), so it's important to pay attention to the marketing business aspect of Pokemon.
Best of luck catching them all!!

Back