Help Rainbow energy question

Rainbow Energy constantly counts as all Energy Types. It only provides one unit of Energy at a time, however. If one turn it is meeting a [M] Energy requirement but the next you need it to fill a [W] requirement, that's perfectly fine. Historically, there have been some attacks that exploited the nature of Rainbow Energy (and similar cards). While it only provides one unit of Energy for the purpose of paying for attacks, some attacks have secondary effects based on what Type of Energy is attached.

For example, there is Mew (Southern Islands 1/18). It has the following attack:

[P] Rainbow Wave: Choose a type of Energy other than [C] attached to Mew. This attack does 20 damage to each of your opponent’s Pokémon of that type (including Benched Pokémon). Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance.​

This led to the following ruling, which I has never been overruled in all these years and thus is still applicable:

Q. If I just have a Rainbow Energy on Southern Islands Mew, will that pay for both the P attack cost and also allow me to choose another color of Pokemon to do the damage to?
A. Yes. But you only do damage to one type of Pokemon. Rainbow counts as all types but only provides one energy. You choose what type of Pokemon you want to do damage to when you use this attack with Rainbow Energy attached. (Aug 9, 2001 WotC Chat, Q233 & Q286 & Q345)
Why bring this up? It helps demonstrates the point: even though one is using Rainbow Energy to meet a [P] requirement for the attack, even during the same turn, in fact in the middle of an attack, the player can still reference any of the other Types for the effect of Rainbow Wave. Some supplemental examples with slightly more recent cards

Energy Signal (Roserade - Unleashed)

Q. What happens if I attach a Rainbow Energy to Roserade with the "Energy Signal" Poke-POWER? Do I get to use both effects?
A. If the Energy card you attached provides all types (for example, Rainbow Energy), then both effects would trigger. Energy Signal would both Confuse and Poison the Defending Pokemon. (Sep 30, 2010 PUI Rules Team)

Rainbow Energy

Q. If I have an attack that says to discard a Fire Energy and a Water Energy, may I discard a single Rainbow Energy card or Multi Energy card to satisfy that requirement?
A. No, even though Rainbow and Multi provide all energy types simultaneously, they only provide one unit of energy. You can discard it for either the Fire or the Water, but you would still need to discard at least one additional card of the required type. (Dec 11, 2008 PUI Rules Team)​

Always counting as all Types of Energy while in play does backfire on occasion. I cannot find the ruling right now (almost out of time), but if you have a Rainbow Energy and an opponent's attack, Ability, etc. refers to a particular Energy Type, it can hit Rainbow Energy. So if Psyduck (BW: Boundaries Crossed 33/149) uses its "Firefighting" attack on a Pokémon with a Rainbow Energy attached, unless the effect of Rainbow Energy is being negated then Firefighting will discard it.

I guess to add to that, Rainbow Energy can't be things like Strong Energy or other special Energy cards. It counts as every type (what you see on actual Pokemon cards) of Energy at all times. You don't choose what it is for one turn since it will always satisfy and Energy requirement.

Another thing to keep in mind is when paying cost for attacks, it would still count. So if a attack said to discard all Water or Fire Energy to do X amount of damage, you would have to discard the Rainbow Energy as well.

Would Elektrik be able to pull a rainbow energy from the discard pile?

Here is the text from Rainbow Energy to help answer your question. If you are using an older copy, remember to always check the latest printings for subtle changes. In some cases, it took years for the-powers-that-be to figure out how to properly word an effect, even one for a card they printed over and over again. ^^' Below is from the most recent printing in Sun & Moon:

This card provides [C] Energy. While in play, this card provides every type of Energy but provides only 1 Energy at a time. When you attach this card from your hand to 1 of your Pokémon, put 1 damage counter on that Pokémon.
So according to the card's own effect, it provides [C] Energy unless it is in play. "While in play..." does not include the deck, discard pile, hand, or Prizes for the game of Pokémon. You cannot attach a Rainbow Energy from the discard pile with Eelektrik and its Dynamotor Ability, nor can you attach one from the hand with Blastoise and its Deluge Ability. You can move it around with an effect like the "Psychic Transfer" Ability on Lunala-GX; Rainbow Energy will provide [P] (alone with all other Types) while in play, and the effect does not stop working while the card is being moved between Pokémon. In fact, I don't think the game recognizes an "in between" state for such things.

In order to mess with a Rainbow Energy in the discard pile or hand, you need an effect that works with all Energy or all Special Energy. None exist, but one that specifically names Rainbow Energy would work as well. Real cards that can do this are Carbink BREAK, which can attach up to two of any Energy to one of your [F] Pokémon with its "Diamond Gift" attack, or Dragonair (Sun & Moon 95/149), who allows you the option to attach as many Energy from your hand as you want during your next turn with its "Dragon's Wish" attack.

Back