Ruling Rainbow Energy Legality

Thad

The Night Begins to Shine
So Is it still Legal to use this Rainbow energy 202789.jpg in place of this Rainbow energy1110195.jpg cus I got a playset from a yard sale and i really wanna use it

TheGuardian118

Aspiring Trainer
I can't make out the text on the card, but if the name and text are the same then yes, typically it's allowed to be used.

Schifferu

Aspiring Trainer
I don't see a problem in using them. I looked over the text from both and seems the older rainbow energy has the same applied effect just worded differently. Good question though, and probably a good idea to ask your local card shop or a tournament just bring extra rainbow energys from xy and up in case.

Thad

I don't see a problem in using them. I looked over the text from both and seems the older rainbow energy has the same applied effect just worded differently. Good question though, and probably a good idea to ask your local card shop or a tournament just bring extra rainbow energys from xy and up in case.

Attach Rainbow Energy to 1 of your Pokémon. While in play, Rainbow Energy counts as every type of basic Energy but only provides 1 Energy at a time. (Doesn't count as a basic Energy card when not in play.) When you attach this card from your hand to 1 of your Pokémon, it does 10 damage to that Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance.)

Asclepius24

Aspiring Trainer
Moved to Competitive Play because this wasn't asking for feedback on a deck.

The old Rainbow Energy cards that tell you to do "10 damage" are no longer legal in Standard and Expanded. The updated text tells you to "put 1 damage counter" on the Pokemon instead. This is a different mechanic and enough of a difference for TPCi to consider it a "major text change" and disallow old copies since they no longer allow reference cards to be used for changed text.

My Little Keldeo

Submarine Reflection!
Advanced Member
As of last year, only cards that are functionally identical or have received a minor errata are legal in sanctioned play. Unfortunately Rainbow Energy has received a major text change since its original print in Team Rocket, and that print of the card is no longer legal. The oldest print of Rainbow Energy that is legal for Standard play is from Aquapolis. The major difference is that you now put one damage counter on the Pokemon you attach Rainbow Energy to rather than doing 10 damage. Although the outcome is the same, they interact with other game mechanics differently, so this was deemed a major text change.

For reference, you can find a list of older cards legal in the Standard format here.

Last edited:

Thad

As of last year, only cards that are functionally identical or have received a minor errata are legal in sanctioned play. Unfortunately Rainbow Energy has received a major errata since its original print in Team Rocket, and that print of the card is no longer legal. The oldest print of Rainbow Energer that is legal for Standard play is from Aquapolis. The major difference is that you now put one damage counter on the Pokemon you attach Rainbow Energy to rather than doing 10 damage. Although the outcome is the same, they interact with other game mechanics differently, so this was deemed a major errata.

For reference, you can find a list of older cards legal in the Standard format here.

Thanks for the list