Raikou EX

9Tailz

the human embodiment of garbodor
105-raikou-ex.jpg

OK, so how would you use Raikou? Raieels, Zekeels, some other deck? How do you play it? How do you think it will see play post-rotation, with all the new sets coming out? It pairs well with Max Potion, and depriving your opponents of KOs can be very awesome. It is an excellent sniper and can stall with Thunder Fang.

In the BW-on decks I make I typically use Raikou in any of the following ways.

-As the non-Mewtwo EX in Zekeels due to its sniping.
-As the secondary attacker in Rayeels due to its ability to use Eelektrik.

You MUST use this card with Eelektrik, if you do not, the discard will wreck you. On its own Raikou is just another excuse for the opponent to play Terrakion and take 6 prizes before you take one.

^ Yeah. It's not really good enough on its own because it's so reliant on Eelektrik. I did battle a deck that ran Raikou EX only, and just relied on packing the Bench with Eels and starting with Thundurus. If you Catcher the Eels, Raikou falls apart. It can abuse Max Potion, however. I wouldn't run more than one in a deck with Rayquaza or Zekky.

Serperior said:
It can abuse Max Potion, however. I wouldn't run more than one in a deck with Rayquaza or Zekky.

You shouldn't run only 1 of any trainer BW- On, unless it is a kind that you could use any time, such as Super Rod. Max Potion is too situational, 2+ or bust.

In BW-On this card is completely necessary for any ZekEels deck and I don't think I'd go below two personally.

Right now, it's outshined by Catcher+Junk Arm since that's practically the same as sniping. If your meta is full of Accelgors, though, it's a good choice since you can snipe their Accelgor on the bench and prevent them from attacking for a turn.

At the moment, the only thing this is viable in is Klinklang, which in itself isn't that viable because of the growing popularity of Energy denial.

Post rotation it's better.

How is this viable in Klinklang? I don't think Klinklang would like losing 2 energy every turn.

It's good in Zekrom/Eelektrik as a one-of, since it's still good for Catchering an Eel and sniping the other, and as a searchable Catcher when you whiff.

alexmf2 said:
How is this viable in Klinklang? I don't think Klinklang would like losing 2 energy every turn.

It's for the last 1-2 prizes. I was mainly talking about Klinklang/Vileplume.

Oh, and it oneshots Tornadus EX.

Not on the bench. If you have to send up an EX to kill something regular Zekrom can kill, thats a problem.

KlingKlang can't afford to be discarding Special Energies. The only deck Raikou EX could be viable in is Zekrom/Eelektrik because of the energy discard.

Alright, you guys clearly need an explanation. In Klinklang/Vileplume especially, Kyurem/Groudon/Darkrai rarely one shot other guys. That means the opponent can retreat big EXs back on to the bench and can avoid giving the Klinklang player prizes. Raikou EX and sometimes Kyogre EX are for use endgame, where discarding Energies doesn't matter anymore and they can kill damaged Pokemon on the bench for the last few prizes.

And like I said, it one shots Tornadus EX. Yes, Zekrom does it as well, but Zekrom also damages itself and has 130 HP, meaning it gets OHKOed much easier, which is obviously counter-intuitive to Klinklang's strategy.

I guess as a one-of for matches against ZekEels where you can't use Kyogre EX, but generally you could just use Kyogre EX for KOing damaged EX's on the bench.

Why wouldn't you just play an extra Catcher instead of an EX that's bad in the early game and only used in the late game where it discards a ton of Energy you can't get back (talking about Raikou)?

Oh, a Vileplume version? Nobody even plays it like that and I don't ever seeing it being popular enough to justify running Raikou (not to mention it would be one of the slowest decks in the format). As it is, Klinklang isn't very popular right now regardless.

dmaster out.

They're talking about in the Vileplume version of KlingKlang EX, but I don't see the point in running that deck over either KlingKlang EX or Vileplume/Mismagius/Darkrai since they're both more consistent.

EliGagerNorris said:
Alright, you guys clearly need an explanation. In Klinklang/Vileplume especially, Kyurem/Groudon/Darkrai rarely one shot other guys. That means the opponent can retreat big EXs back on to the bench and can avoid giving the Klinklang player prizes. Raikou EX and sometimes Kyogre EX are for use endgame, where discarding Energies doesn't matter anymore and they can kill damaged Pokemon on the bench for the last few prizes.

And like I said, it one shots Tornadus EX. Yes, Zekrom does it as well, but Zekrom also damages itself and has 130 HP, meaning it gets OHKOed much easier, which is obviously counter-intuitive to Klinklang's strategy.

The whole point of Kyurem/Groudon/Darkrai is to use type advantage to your advantage to OHKO. If you're not one-shotting their pokemon, you're doing it wrong.

I'm not sure about Raikou EX anymore. Terrakion techs are increasing in play, and with Raikou getting OHKOd by it, is it really worth it. However, I still run it because I usually never use it until somebody says I don't need it. Then I win against them with it. For example, Emmet told me that Raikou was a waste once. Then, I catchered his Eelektrik and made a 3 prize comeback for the win by sniping around it. Raikou is a very situational card that should be tested. If you like using it, go ahead. Don't put it in "just because".

Yeah, Raikou is only good w/ Eels. Don't know why anyone would play it w/o them. And I don't think you can run a deck only with Raikou and Eels. You need other attackers and you get pulverized by Terrakion techs.

Back