• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Raikou/Electrode/Thundurus EX

MarshalBry

Aspiring Trainer
For a little bit now Yveltal/Garbodor has been a very strong presence in the format with little to no counters. This is a deck concept that I've always liked but never really seen made as well as I think it could be made (not necessarily by me, but in general). I do understand that Garbodor is a big issue as you cannot make use of Electrode when it is in play, but in theory and experience as long as you get one Electrode attachment in prior to the Garbodor you can survive with Max Elixir attachments. This may mean using Wally to ensure you can attach on your first turn if possible (my list runs 2 Wally, but I would like to find space for a 3rd).

Pokemon - 13
3x Raikou BRT
2x Thundurus-EX ROS
3x Voltorb ROS
3x Electrode EVO
2x Shaymin-EX ROS

Trainers - 38
1x Delinquent BRP
2x Lysandre AOR
3x N FCL
3x Professor Sycamore BRP
2x Wally ROS

3x VS Seeker ROS
4x Trainer's Mail ROS
4x Ultra Ball FCL
2x Super Rod BKT
1x Professor's Letter BKT
4x Max Elixir BRP
1x Energy Retrieval AOR
3x Fighting Fury Belt BRP
2x Float Stone BKT

3x Rough Seas PCL

Energy - 9

9x Lightning Energy
OR (if there is a Fighting presence)
7x Lightning Energy
2x Flash Energy AOR

Raikou- Main attacker, aim is to be hitting 110/120 (with Fighting Fury Belt) on turn 2 or 1 (if you Wally a Voltorb into Electrode then attach to Raikou).
Thundurus-EX- A bulkier option for an attacker, hitting for 150/160 (FFB) with a single energy attachment and one Electrode attachment. First attack is also a decent stall if you can get the Tails flip to paralyze, while otherwise 60/70 is still decent damage to be hitting.
Electrode- Self explanatory. Use its ability to attach it to a Lightning pokemon as {L}{L}.

Here are some thoughts...

Having played a lot of Raikou/Electrode recently I don't think Thundurus-EX is worth having 2 slots as hitting for 150/160 is not really note-worthy and the extra bulk is offset by being an EX that damages itself. I've never tested it so I won't count it out entirely but I would consider adding Jolteon-EX instead since it helps with other match ups like Rainbow Road and Volcanion. I would also swap out the Float Stones for Exp Shares, since they help keep energy on the board which translates directly to more damage for Raikou. And drop cards like Professor's Letter and Energy Retrieval (they work against your Max Elixirs) to add in Escape Ropes/Switches which do have some synergy with Max Elixir.

A 4th VS Seeker is too strategically valuable not to have.

Max Elixirs play a huge role in this deck so I would adjust the energy count to at least 10, I play 11 and find my success rate to be satisfactory.

I can see why playing Wally makes sense on paper but in my experience its simply not worth using your supporter for the turn on it. You're better off trying to Lysandre up an early Garb with a Max Elixir-powered Raikou. As Wally does very little for you in most cases and can somewhat counter intuitively kill your momentum if it was the only supporter available to you. Has Wally really been working for you?

Oh and I've been trying out Ace Trainer in my list recently and have actually been getting good use out of it thanks to Electrode. Let me know if any of this helps!

@Arizaiaz made some good points, IMO, and I'd like to suggest the following for your consideration, as well:

In order for your Max Elixir to be "effective" (my objective is to hit a Basic energy 85%+ of the time), you need to either run "lots" (i.e., 11+) of Basic energy and/or "thin-out" your deck early in order to increase your chances of having successful results. One way to thin-out your deck more, as well as increase your setup speed is to incorporate Level Ball which can get both Voltorb and Electrode. For example:

-2 Wally - not really needed
-1 Ultra Ball - 3 should be sufficient
+3 Level Ball (or 2 Level Ball and 1 Brigette)

Since theoretically, you plan to play from "behind" in the prize count, incorporating Ace Trainer and/or Teammates would also be quite helpful. For example,

-1 Super Rod
-1 Trainer's Mail
+2 Ace Trainer and/or Teammates

Would Brock's Grit be more effective than your last Super Rod?

I also believe that Float Stones are not "critical." So, consider:

-2 Float Stone
+1 Escape Rope
+1 Olympia - provides some minor healing along with its switching capability

I also concur with @Arizaiaz in that I don't believe that the Thundurus EXs bring that much to the table... A 2-2 Lugia line would be helpful against F Pokémon threats and perhaps more effective than the Thundurus EXs. On the other hand a 4th Raikou is much more important than a 2nd Thundurus EX. So, consider:

-2 Thundurus EX
+1 Raikou
+1 Lightning energy

Lastly, you made need a way to remove your Shaymin EXs from your bench in order to remove those easy prize targets out of play. So, consider:

-1 Rough Seas
+1 Parallel City

I hope you find these comments helpful.

Your list for the most part is pretty good. The big problems are the Thundurus EX and not having the 4th VS Seeker. Here are my suggestions:
-2 Thundurus-EX
-2 Wally
-1 Super Rod
-1 Prof's Letter
-1 Energy Retrieval
-1 Float Stone

+1 Raikou
+1 Sycamore
+1 Ace Trainer
+1 Parallel City
+1 Escape Rope
+1 Level Ball
+1 VS Seeker
+1 Lightning Energy

The problem with the deck is that even if you can set Electrode up aginst Garb, Enhanced Hammer just kills you. And Yveltal, Garb is the closest thing to a favorable matchup you have, which isn't much. Volcanion may be included in that list, but this deck autolosses to Greninja. They Hammer off you Electrodes, they heal, and they outspeed, out HP, and out damage you. If you play right, you can tip the odds in your favor, but they can just set right back up. But that is one reason not to drop a Rough Seas, since it comes to help you as well. If you have any more trouble with keeping the deck going, Pokemon Center lady is a very good card. People can get past the Fury Belt, Shining Body, and Rough Seas(basically making them have to hit for an estimation of 90 on top of the 120), but adding Center Lady in the mix, basically if they can't OHKO you, they never will KO you. It's kinda hard to play something like this in today's meta, but if you can make it work, go for it! Good luck with the deck!

I know this thread is long over, however:
As a Raikou/Electrode player, I just want to clarify that the greninja matchup is not an autoloss, let alone bad. I don't play rough seas and find the matchup to be good for me for these reasons:
1. Ace Trainer can make greninja's setup more difficult, especially as they may refrain from using a supporter first turn, whereby vs seeker wouldn't help them out, creating a potential "brick" situation. Do try to setup a 2nd electrode in this MU for further shenanigans.
2. Greninja losses a lot of access to Ace Trainer and N due to electrode effectively making them taking prizes before they have setup, a thing greninja decks don't really want to do. N.B. from point 1 if they have N they only get a 5 card hand to e.g. find frogadier, where delinquent may become a threat preventing them from action if they have to play down both frogadier and [W].
3.By the time greninja's start to arrive to the party, I have 2 raikou's setup to take OHKOs. Both with EX levels of hp, which greninja doesn't enjoy.

Back