Discussion Raichu and it's Competitive Status

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
As the title says, do you all believe Raichu has some competitive value to match all the Top Tier decks out there? Why or why not? How do you all feel the Lysandre's Trump Card ban will effect it?

Personally, I want to see Raichu keep improving, especially because it has a lot of room for mixing cards.

Raichu/Bats seems very strong, Raichu always missing some damage and Bats can put some damage counter to KO it, and also fill up bench. LTC ban will hurt Raichu, as they really need Shaymin to draw(not Raymin level but still).

With LTC banned, I'm afraid that the Raichu-focused decks that appeared during the last weekend of Regionals won't be sticking around in the same form. A lot of these ran four DCE as their only energy, and with no way of getting these back, doing this is going to become a very risky play. Despite being a powerful card when played correctly, I think there are more viable non-EX decks in the coming format, such as Night March and possibly Flareon. The setup for both of these decks cannot be countered in the same way that they were before the ban, while removing Sky Field from play will set Raichu's setup back. Ninetales helps with this no doubt, but a decrease in Seismitoad's usage should herald Garbodor's return to the format, which is sure to spell trouble.

However, I still think Raichu can be extremely viable as a secondary attacker in any deck running DCE. Rayquaza, Shaymin and Yveltal are all weak to it, and should see a good deal of play at Nationals. Garbodor could make a good partner for Raichu alongside the likes of Seismitoad and Mewtwo, perhaps.

One of the decks I toyed around with just prior to Regionals was VirGenRai. The Raichu was incorporated as a hard counter against certain decks. Yesterday, I judged an LC tournament, and 1 player ran his version of the same deck too. As a single-energy (albeit a DCE) attacker, I do think some players will continue to use Raichu in certain decks as a second/third attacker.

Back