Help Question About First Edition?

MarkyD

Aspiring Trainer
Hi.

Back in the day I and my then very young son loved collecting Pokemon. We really got into it, buying booster boxes at a time and created a pretty comprehensive collection, which started with Base set 1 and ended with the Legendary Collection. From Gym Heroes onwards I realised that we should focus only on 1st Edition, so that's what we did (except for Legendary, obviously). I haven't really looked at the Pokeworld since the Legendary cards, until a month or so ago. So I went from fairly knowledgeable about the older stuff to not having a clue about anything since.

I've been looking at some of the recent sets with an eye to maybe buying booster boxes again. What I can't find is anything about 1st Edition for the more recent sets. Have manufacturers stopped making 1st Edition versions of sets or can someone point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
Have manufacturers stopped making 1st Edition versions of sets...

You may not realize it, but they stopped making 1st Edition sets while you were still collecting. Neo Destiny was the last set with a 1st Edition release... by which I mean the first run of cards (and the boosters they came in) were specifically marked as "1st Edition". If you want to get technical, since the first printing of a set is its first edition, there will always be one... but it won't be obviously marked and I don't know if anyone hunts for those or not.

My understanding is that Japan started doing 1st Edition sets around the time we stopped, and continued until the end of the XY-era.

Back