Question about Crystal Guardians packs.

burnambill333

Aspiring Trainer
Most of you are going to think this is an easy concept but I'd appreciate it very much if somebody would explain it to me. I recenly purchased a Crystal Guardians booster pack, which is THE FIRST pack I have purchased since the Fossil set.

• First of all, I guess there are only 9 cards per pack? Last I remember there were 11 cards per pack.
  • I recieved 2 Rare holos in my pack. Did I just get lucky or did WOTC increase the odds of getting a rare/holographic card?
  • How many different versions are there of each card? I read that there are reverse-holos of each card. So to *fully* complete the set, would you have to find the standard card and the reverse-holo version of each card?
  • That's about it for now, I'll have more questions later, thanks for answering my incredibly n00bish questions.

burnambill333 said:
Most of you are going to think this is an easy concept but I'd appreciate it very much if somebody would explain it to me.  I recenly purchased a Crystal Guardians booster pack, which is THE FIRST pack I have purchased since the Fossil set.

• First of all, I guess there are only 9 cards per pack?  Last I remember there were 11 cards per pack.
  • I recieved 2 Rare holos in my pack.  Did I just get lucky or did WOTC increase the odds of getting a rare/holographic card?
  • How many different versions are there of each card?  I read that there are reverse-holos of each card.  So to *fully* complete the set, would you have to find the standard card and the reverse-holo version of each card?
  • That's about it for now, I'll have more questions later, thanks for answering my incredibly n00bish questions.
1. Yes there are only 9 now, sadly.
2. That's pretty normal to get two Rares. I do a lot. I don't think it's anything special, or I'm just incredibly lucky and so are you :p.
3. Yep they have Reverse Holo's for cards now. I don't know, I don't ever complete the sets, but I guess you do.

I'm not too great with sets, but hopefully that helped.

Arcanine out.

Yup, there's only 9, but I think it is certain that each pack of Pokemon cards comes with:
5 commons
2 Uncommons
1 Rare
1 Reverse Holo

All right thanks for your quick reply, I just found out that one of the holos I got is not normally a Holo. It is #19 Grovyle and is that reverse holo I heard about.

I have 2 new questions:

1. How many packs would you have to buy to get an Ex Holo?? What are the general odds for getting an Ex?
2. Where do you get energy cards now if they aren't in the set? I guess just use older sets' energy cards? Aren't most of the older sets banned from being used in decks?

1. Ex cards are roughly 1:12 packs, making each box contain roughly 2-3 Ex cards. Star cards are about 1:40? I don't remember that ratio.

2. You can use old basic energy cards from WoTC sets because they have not been changed. Any card that was reprinted in a modified format (like Potion, Switch, etc.) can be used, you just use the most recent printing text on the cards (example: Darkness energies no longer hit non-Dark Pokemon for 10 at the end of your turn, even if the card says so on it). Energy cards now are only gotten in starter decks. Emerald and Holon Phantoms packs contained special holo energy cards, which were about 1:3 packs, but I wouldn't rely on that method if you're just looking for energies.

Dont frget, you can use cards that have been "reprinted" into new sets. for example, they reprinted a newer version of the trainer card switch, so yu can use the old one from the base set as it has been reprinted. check out the modified cardex on the site to see what you can "still use"

oh and you can use all of your old energies, they dont have to be new either:D

its already 9 cards per pack many sets ago
sometimes PTCG wants to surprise u with 2 holos..haha

Also, Wizards of the Coast does not make pokemon cards anymore, Nintendo makes them now. I think we are on the 15th ex set now, right? Nintendo makes all ex set cards, plus a few others, I think. :D

Well the two cards that they took out the 11 down to 9? Remember how you'd get about 2 energies per pack in the old sets? Yeah, I think that might explain something.

There is only 9 cards per pack since Ruby & Sapphire came out. You can use old basic energies or you can get newer versions in the current starter decks.
You can sometimes pull 2 rares per pack because the reverse foil can be a rare. Also with each set now you can collect 2 sets. The regular set and the reverse foil set are 2 different versions of the one set.

Back