• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Quad Turt GX

CaptZero

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon
  • 4 x Turtonator GX
  • 1 x Tauros GX
  • 1 x Volcanion
Item/Supporter/Stadium
  • 4 x Professor Sycamore
  • 3 x N
  • 2 x Lysandre
  • 1 x Professor Kukui
  • 2 x Team Flare Grunt
  • 1 x Team Skull Grunt
  • 1 x Olympia
  • 1 x Delinquent
  • 4 x Puzzle of Time
  • 3 x VS Seeker
  • 4 x Crushing Hammer
  • 1 x Enhanced Hammer
  • 4 x Energy Loto
  • 3 x Nest Ball
  • 3 x Fighting Fury Belt
  • 2 x Multi Switch
  • 2 x Field Blower
  • 1 x Red Card
  • 1 x Switch
Energy
  • 4 x Double Colorless Energy - Special
  • 7 x Fire Energy - Basic

Built this list after seeming someone in play something similar. I just like the look of this deck as it really disrupts the other player and makes it difficult for them to attack, and if they do attack they'll be met with Shell Trap and Bursting Balloon. Meanwhile you're able to slowly power up you bench while constantly applying pressure.

Last edited:
Interesting deck concept.

I too run Turtonator GX in a few different decks and have found it to be a very good Pokémon in a variety of situations. From time to time, I've also thought about building a deck around it too. So, following are some thoughts for your consideration:

• Have you considered using Mallow for the Mallow-Scorched Earth combo? This combo can be quite helpful at times.
  • In many (and I'd dare say "most") cases, players will not attack a Shell Trap'ped Turtonator GX even without an attached Bursting Balloon. The Balloons most likely will deter a direct attack on your active Turtonator GX; so, your opponent will burn resources to attack something else. This could help you in the long run. However, most players I know now run 2+ Field Blowers; so your Balloons may not yield the results you want.
  • Why no Field Blower(s)?
  • Have you considered running a "thin" Gumshoos GX line in order to view your opponent's hand in order to make your Team Skull Grunt more effective?
  • Other than starting with Wobbuffet which may be when it's most useful, are you finding that the 1 Switch is sufficient? I'd suggest incorporating an Olympia too for reusable "switching" capability.
  • I'd also suggest utilizing Hex Maniac instead of Wobbuffet (especially since you're not running any psychic energy).
  • Any consideration for other Pokémon like Volcanion and/or Tauros GX?
  • Have you tested aginst DeciPlume and/or Garbodor yet? If so, what were the results?
I hope you find these comments helpful.

• Have you considered using Mallow for the Mallow-Scorched Earth combo? This combo can be quite helpful at times.

Oh that sounds like an interesting engine. I'll have to give some consideration to where I'd put that, but I love the concept.

• In many (and I'd dare say "most") cases, players will not attack a Shell Trap'ped Turtonator GX even without an attached Bursting Balloon. The Balloons most likely will deter a direct attack on your active Turtonator GX; so, your opponent will burn resources to attack something else. This could help you in the long run. However, most players I know now run 2+ Field Blowers; so your Balloons may not yield the results you want.

I was actually thinking about using it as a deterrent for Lysandre-ing up a benched Turtonator.

• Why no Field Blower(s)?

Good question

• Have you considered running a "thin" Gumshoos GX line in order to view your opponent's hand in order to make your Team Skull Grunt more effective?

Usually with these Quad decks you're aiming to have as few pokemon as possible in order to max out of disruption trainers. I'm not opposed to trying it, but I don't know how I feel about it.

• Other than starting with Wobbuffet which may be when it's most useful, are you finding that the 1 Switch is sufficient? I'd suggest incorporating an Olympia too for reusable "switching" capability.

I haven't actually been able to test this deck at all yet, merely toss together a decklist. I plan to proxy is together for an unofficial tournament I'll be going to next weekend.

• I'd also suggest utilizing Hex Maniac instead of Wobbuffet (especially since you're not running any psychic energy).

I can see that as a possibility to make room for...

• Any consideration for other Pokémon like Volcanion and/or Tauros GX?

One or both of these. Do you mean baby Volc btw, or Volc EX?

• Have you tested aginst DeciPlume and/or Garbodor yet? If so, what were the results?

I'll probably be able to test against one of the two of those decks next Sunday.

One or both of these. Do you mean baby Volc btw, or Volc EX?
Volcanion just as another potential attacker (instead of Wobbuffet, should you go with the Hex Maniac(s)) and an energy harvester.

Also, have you checked-out the new Lurantis (SM25) promo that's out, about to come out? It may be a great partner for Turtonator GX; although incorporating a Lurantis line would violate the "quad" strategy to some degree, but it may prove worthwhile.

Volcanion just as another potential attacker (instead of Wobbuffet, should you go with the Hex Maniac(s)) and an energy harvester.

Also, have you checked-out the new Lurantis (SM25) promo that's out, about to come out? It may be a great partner for Turtonator GX; although incorporating a Lurantis line would violate the "quad" strategy to some degree, but it may prove worthwhile.
Yeah Baby Volc would have some pretty solid useage here.

I feel like Lurantis is better served in a straight forward aggressive deck, but there's potential there too.

@TuxedoBlack

Updated decklist, give me your thoughts?

Pokemon
4 x Turtonator GX
1 x Tauros GX
1 x Volcanion

Item/Supporter/Stadium
4 x Professor Sycamore
3 x N
2 x Lysandre
1 x Professor Kukui
2 x Team Flare Grunt
1 x Team Skull Grunt
1 x Olympia
1 x Delinquent
4 x Puzzle of Time
3 x VS Seeker
4 x Crushing Hammer
1 x Enhanced Hammer
4 x Energy Loto
3 x Nest Ball
3 x Fighting Fury Belt
2 x Multi Switch
2 x Field Blower
1 x Red Card
1 x Switch
Energy

4 x Double Colorless Energy - Special
7 x Fire Energy - Basic

@TuxedoBlack

Updated decklist, give me your thoughts?

Pokemon
4 x Turtonator GX
1 x Tauros GX
1 x Volcanion

Item/Supporter/Stadium
4 x Professor Sycamore
3 x N
2 x Lysandre
1 x Professor Kukui
2 x Team Flare Grunt
1 x Team Skull Grunt
1 x Olympia
1 x Delinquent
4 x Puzzle of Time
3 x VS Seeker
4 x Crushing Hammer
1 x Enhanced Hammer
4 x Energy Loto
3 x Nest Ball
3 x Fighting Fury Belt
2 x Multi Switch
2 x Field Blower
1 x Red Card
1 x Switch
Energy

4 x Double Colorless Energy - Special
7 x Fire Energy - Basic
I just returned from the Midwest Regional tournament where I saw a variety of decks (Lapras, Ninetales, Garbodor, etc.) and associated tactics. I would suggest the following changes for your consideration:

+1 Tapu Lele GX. This Pokmon is really versatile and quite helpful in a variety of situations. It it too GOOD to omit, IMO.

+1 Volcanion. Little Volcanion is an important asset for recovering valuable assets; so, you would not want to be without this resource should the 1 be prized.

+2 Choice Bands. We are truly back into "war;" but this time, it's a Tool war. Since Turtonator GX has an attack that can inflict 160 damage, a Choice Band definitely helps to hit numbers to 1HKO many EXs and some GXs.

-1 Crushing Hammer. 3 should be sufficient. Fortunately, your Puzzle of Times will be helpful in recovering these these Items.

-1 Fighting Fury Belt. 2 should be sufficient since these FFBs will be prime Field Blower targets. Fortunately, your Puzzle of Times will be helpful in recovering these these Items.

-4 Energy Lotto. Not critical, IMO.

+1 Ninja Boy. Tauros GX, without Ninja Boy, takes away a great attack option.

+1 Fire energy. 7 seem a "bit" too low. Testing will confirm the "right" number for you. Plus, these will be helpful should you ever need to to use Turtonator GX's Nitro Tank attack.

Other cards you may want to consider too:

Altar of the Sunne - to remove your R Pokémon Weaknes

Energy Switch - to help power-up (i.e., with 3 attached R energy) Turtonator GX faster.

Rescue Stretcher - to recover a discarded Pokémon and get if back into play quickly or just recover 3 Pokémon and shuffle those back into your deck.
I hope you find these comments helpful.

Energy Switch - to help power-up (i.e., with 3 attached R energy) Turtonator GX faster.

I put Multiswitch in there to preserve DCEs. I had considered a mix of Energy Loto and Max Elixir, maybe a 2-3 ratio? But with even an 8 energy count I wonder if it's high enough to consistently hit Elixirs? Energy Loto I wanted in there to be sure I could hit a DCE and get a first/ second turn Shell trap.

I had considered a mix of Energy Loto and Max Elixir, maybe a 2-3 ratio? But with even an 8 energy count I wonder if it's high enough to consistently hit Elixirs?
For initial testing, the ratio seems li a good starting point. However, I run 12 R energy 4 Max Elixir in my Volcanion EX deck and I still seem to only hit R energy just 50% of the time.... ugh! Most players I know do run at least 10 Basic energy in order to try to hit their Max Elixirs.

After more thought, maybe Energy Lotto IS a better play than Max Elixir since it allows you to look at 7 cards and you can select either a DC or R energy. Maybe try testing it without the Max Elixirs and determine which Item works best for you.

For initial testing, the ratio seems li a good starting point. However, I run 12 R energy 4 Max Elixir in my Volcanion EX deck and I still seem to only hit R energy just 50% of the time.... ugh! Most players I know do run at least 10 Basic energy in order to try to hit their Max Elixirs.

After more thought, maybe Energy Lotto IS a better play than Max Elixir since it allows you to look at 7 cards and you can select either a DC or R energy. Maybe try testing it without the Max Elixirs and determine which Item works best for you.

Will do!

I have an League Challenge this weekend and I may run a slightly tweaked version of your deck since I have not yet received the new Lurantis (SM25 - do check this promo Pokémon out; you might like it). Please share any further testing results and/or revised deck list. I will do the same, as well. Thanks.

I have an League Challenge this weekend and I may run a slightly tweaked version of your deck since I have not yet received the new Lurantis (SM25 - do check this promo Pokémon out; you might like it). Please share any further testing results and/or revised deck list. I will do the same, as well. Thanks.

I grabbed this promo awhile ago. Now what I'm missing is Tapu Bulu. Actually have a decklist to post that's Lurantis Bulu, but most of the stuff that gets responses on here is more inventive. I'm mostly just looking for competitive tips to shore up weaknesses in my decks.

I just created a quad turt deck myself. There's a league challenge this weekend I'm thinking about running it in. It's a completely different engine though. Why the DCE and not burning energy? I think you're missing the key to a quad turt. Imho, it's about powering up turn 1, so quickly getting 5 energies in the discard are crucial.

It's a completely different engine though.
Would you please share? I'm interested in seeing and better understanding your take on this deck.

Why the DCE and not burning energy?
DCEs allows you to use the Shell Trap immediately with a single energy card attachment; whereas, a single attachment of Burning energy will not.

I think you're missing the key to a quad turt. Imho, it's about powering up turn 1, so quickly getting 5 energies in the discard are crucial.
Not having seen your deck list, you seem to have a "different" concept of the quad style deck strategy and play. I suspect your deck strategy is just a viable as the OP. What's great is that dependent upon your opponent's deck and game state, one can take advantage of either style perhaps. Nice to have options.

Sure. Here's my list:

4 Turtonator GX
2 Tapu Lele GX

1 professor kukui
1 lysandre
4 professor sycamore
2 hala
1 pokemon ranger
1 mallow
1 olympia
2 N
1 hex maniac
1 pokemon center lady

3 choice band
3 VS seeker
3 acro bike
3 max elixir
4 ultra ball
3 trainers' mail

3 scorched earth

4 burning energy
13 fire energy

The goal is to burn through your deck and get 5 energies in the discard turn one, so the deck is full of cards that throw things away. Yes, it's a ton of energy, but if the burning energies get knocked off, you need them. It also increases chances of being able to Sycamore away 3+ energies. I just added the Trainers' Mail. The original deck was made without.

@JustOutsideOfTopCut the issue I have with that deck list outs that without supporting Pokemon I think this straight up aggressive quad decks don't work. Quads work right now because of how disruptive you can be. Running lot's of hammers and the like and lot's of resource recovery.

Back