Discussion Puzzle of Time Viability - How Good is it?

Robin Aisaga

Ginger Lillie > Regular Lillie
Hey guys, It has been awhile since I had my last real life tournament. And I was wondering if there came any mayor changes with the last sets generations and BREAKpoint. I'm especially curious to know whether Puzzle of Time is a new standard for decks, or perhaps it is only worth a place in some decks? I'm working on a new deck list and it is beginning to get tight! So... should I leave room for Puzzle of Time?

Ms Hugo

Aspiring Trainer
If it's a DCE-heavy deck like Night March, it's absolutely worth the spot. I wouldn't put it in every deck, but in a deck where you need those sorts of resources back, absolutely.

Robin Aisaga

Meh, I was making a M-Alakazam Deck and that old bearded man only needs one psychic energy with Dimension Valley. There aren't many critical resources, Puzzle of Time could however be nice to get Devolution Spray and Dimension Valley back.

Thanks for your reply. I've been hearing lot of commotion around Night March lately, I guess it's because of the constant support it receives each set. Next up: Mew (probably)

awesomeMSG

Just a guy who wants to master Greninja BREAK
I've been testing Hippowdon/Regirock-EX and found it helpful to get back my DCE and Strong Energies. What makes it so good in that deck or in any DCE deck is the decks dig in so quickly and efficiently. For example: Korrina (in Fighting), Trainer's Mail, Shaymin-EX, Acro Bike, etc. These cards really help to get the 2 Puzzle of Time in hand.

leafy

Aspiring Trainer
I think it also works in sabylele in expanded amazingly. junk hunt for two of them and then you can get 2 of anything instead of 2 item cards from the discard.

Robin Aisaga

I do use Sableye with Yveltal EX and the new Darkrai EX sometimes, sounds like a strong strategy! If I can get Puzzle of Time for a reasonable price I will certainly get my hands on it.

Yog

Rogue
It's a great card, but the big caveat is that you really need four of them in your deck, and that's a lot of space. If you're already running 4 VS Seekers, 4 Sycamore, 4 Ultra balls, 4 Trainers mail.. it adds up. But just one is pointless, two is madness, three is a huge risk with discards and prized potential - so you need the full count of four.

Where it really shines is either in fighting decks where you have Korrina anyway - so you see one in hand, and she grabs you the other along with a mon, and now you have two of their many support cards back from the discard - or else in decks with low HP mons and you are expecting to take hits early and often, and now you have full access to both your deck and discard via Teammates. Teammates even grabs three cards potentially if you already have one PoT in hand - the second PoT plus one more card, then two discarded cards too. Decks with low HP mons though, tend to be evolution decks where space is at a premium. So the card is quite balanced thanks to the space cost of needing four. Meaning as ever, Night March is the big winner.

Really though, any deck that relies on some crucial mostly un-retrievable card, such as a low count of special energy, or a rare candy, can benefit hugely. So long as you can find the space for it.