Ruling Pupate & Emerge

Clmnt_86

Aspiring Trainer
Can I use Pupate Poke-Power and Emerge Poke-Power in a same turn if I get heads for both coin flipping?

The card states that using the pokemon-power counts as evolving so I say no you cannot have a T1 butterfree or even a T1 metapod. You could use pupate if caterpie has already been down for a turn but you wouldn't be able to use emerge, same with emerge and metapod.

^Wrong. That text is there so you can't use pupate and evo into metapod and then evolve into butterfree the very same turn (assuming its not t1 and the 1 turn down condition has been met). That text is there so you know to remove all special conditions and other effects.

Yes you can go T1 Caterpie(power) Metapod(power) Butterfree(30) Great Speed Deck! Its pretty decent!

Poke-Powers, Trainers, and attack effects are allowed to break the rules. If you can legally perform that action, you do what it says, even if the effect breaks the normal rules.

The text "This counts as evolving that Pokemon" means that the result of that effect is counted as your once-per-turn evolution from your hand for that Pokemon. So after using Pupate to evolve Caterpie to Metapod, you can't then play a Butterfree from your hand to evolve it again. But you can get to Butterfree using Emerge on the same turn.

You can even do this on the first turn of the game (because it's perfectly legal to use Poke-Powers on either player's first turn).

[EDIT: I'm an illiterate person. Srsly.]

Chairman Kaga said:
Papi/Manny said:
^Wrong. That text is there so you can't use pupate and evo into metapod and then evolve into butterfree the very same turn (assuming its not t1 and the 1 turn down condition has been met).

Wrong. You can do exactly that. Poke-Powers and Trainers are allowed to break the rules. If you can legally activate the Power or play the Trainer, you do what it says, even if the effect breaks the normal rules.

The text "This counts as evolving that Pokemon" means that the result of that Power/Trainer is counted as your once-per-turn evolution from your hand for that Pokemon. So after using Pupate to evolve Caterpie to Metapod, you can't then play a Butterfree from your hand to evolve it again. But you can get to Butterfree using Emerge on the same turn.

You can even do this on the first turn of the game (because it's perfectly legal to use Poke-Powers on either player's first turn).

Papi/Manny said:
That text is there so you know to remove all special conditions and other effects.

That makes no sense. You can't remove effects unless the Pokemon actually evolves.
1) How am I wrong when thats exactly what I said??
2) You ARE actually evolving so it DOES remove effects. It says that in the power for crying out loud.
P.S. You also forgot attacks on your list of what bypasses the no-evo t1/have to wait a turn rule.

Papi/Manny said:
1) How am I wrong when thats exactly what I said?? LMAO

Sorry. For some bizarre reason I read what you wrote and thought you were talking about using Emerge. Now that I read it again, you're not.

Ignore me, please. (I figured you were ignoring me anyway over the Sandslash thread :p)

Papi/Manny said:
P.S. You also forgot attacks on your list of what bypasses the no-evo t1/have to wait a turn rule.

Fixed.

Naw. lol. You're probly right on that. Realized that after about the 2nd post. Just kept going cause i love to debate.

Back