PTCGL Beta Opens February 22nd, Is Exclusive to Canada

Very sad they don't allow trading. In a game like Pokemon, it was great being able to get rid of cards you wouldn't use. I hope they at least incorporate a dust system to craft specific cards like Yugioh because cracking packs is going to be a pain in the ass to build decks.
I thought they said something about cards for coins?

The press release says this:

Pokémon TCG Live will be globally released in the future as a free-to-play game with no in-app purchases, and will receive ongoing content and feature updates post-launch.

Its fact sheet says this:

Pokémon TCG Live will be released as a free-to-play game with no in-app purchases, making it accessible for all types of players.
As cool as this sounds, how in the world are they going to make the economy work? If it's just gonna be PTCGO trading post v2.0 I'm not gonna even bother playing the game.

As cool as this sounds, how in the world are they going to make the economy work? If it's just gonna be PTCGO trading post v2.0 I'm not gonna even bother playing the game.
Probably you buy a bunch of codes, open the packs, and dust cards for crafting.

Well A friend of mine insisted we watch the video together and I noticed that there is a more traditional layout that’s similar to the PTCGO’s, I assume that it’s going to be for the desktop version of the app and SERIOUSLY hope that the tablet version of the app gets it as well. If my iPad is stuck with the phone-friendly layout I’m gonna be ticked.
They did. That person didn't read the original announcement fully.
My main issue with the new dust system is that TPCi STILL hasn’t disclosed what cards and bundles will cost under these new currencies, something that the beta will definitely reveal (but not actually fix due to TPCi’s usual shenanigans).
If you've kept tabs on this, you might notice that the amount of free gem compensation they give you for existing packs has now DOUBLED.
Which, as I mentioned above, doesn’t really mean much until we know what cards and bundles will cost when the app launches.

But to be fair they finally gave us an answer to the whole “will trade-locked items transfer to PTCGL?” question everyone’s been getting antsy over since the app was announced.
Yes. The migration process uses the combined total of tradable and trade-locked copies of an item in the collection. This applies to cards, accessories, and unopened products and bundles in the player’s Pokémon TCG Online collection at the time they migrate their collection to Pokémon TCG Live.
This is something that honestly should’ve been clarified when PTCGL was announced, I honestly don’t understand why it took so long for TPCi to put that out.
Mimikeon already mentioned how they’re going to deal with the economy: by taking the player out of the equation entirely by removing trading, adding the in-game currency system, and putting the prices in TPCi‘s hands.

Opening packs it's not the best way to get specific cards, yes even the expensive cards, unless the crafting systems is a very generous one, we will see in the beta. I can see code cards keeping it's value overtime rather than going down after every main release.

So you'd prefer paying like $2 per pack?
I'd prefer having a reasonable in-game currency that you can get by playing normally. The way other games are able to do this is by having IAPs that go straight to the game devs' pocket. If someones willing to shell out cash, you wont go broke giving free resources to other players.

I'll admit that I have zero clue on how PTCGL will manage this, but if we assume no IAPs whatsoever other than pack codes, much like how current PTCGO operates, and then considering how terribly futile trying to go completely F2P in PTCGO is, I don't have very high hopes for this game.

I'll admit that I have zero clue on how PTCGL will manage this, but if we assume no IAPs whatsoever other than pack codes, much like how current PTCGO operates, and then considering how terribly futile trying to go completely F2P in PTCGO is, I don't have very high hopes for this game.
PTCGO only works this way because the community got used to trade packs per cards. PTCGL will count with a crafting system, what's totally different from what we do on PTCGO. What we have in PTCGO it's a not official way to getting cards, like, they never thought years ago that the players would create this market based in supply and demand

I'd prefer having a reasonable in-game currency that you can get by playing normally. The way other games are able to do this is by having IAPs that go straight to the game devs' pocket. If someones willing to shell out cash, you wont go broke giving free resources to other players.

In Master Duel, you basically get enough for one deck if you don't waste anything, and after that you're screwed. It's not that much better in other games. It'll always be a grind. TPCi sees this more as an ad for the TCG than as a standalone game, so this is what we get. It's not made for what you're looking for, I'm afraid. The existence of a pass should make it better than PTCGO though, as well as the fact that the store has promos and such, and there only being one currency for dusting.

Apparently I have brain death... can someone with an IQ higher than my room temperature IQ assist me in grasping what this means...

Does this mean the only way to build a deck is from opening packs? I was hoping for an option to outright buy cards the cards I need. This is what I essentially already do, but instead of giving my money to Pokémon I give it to PoTown. I have 2 kids who play, and spend a small fortune on code cards so they can have competitive decks. I can't imagine how much it will cost if I need to get three playsets of Arcues via opening packs.

Apparently I have brain death... can someone with an IQ higher than my room temperature IQ assist me in grasping what this means...

Does this mean the only way to build a deck is from opening packs? I was hoping for an option to outright buy cards the cards I need. This is what I essentially already do, but instead of giving my money to Pokémon I give it to PoTown. I have 2 kids who play, and spend a small fortune on code cards so they can have competitive decks. I can't imagine how much it will cost if I need to get three playsets of Arcues via opening packs.
You have to open packs, but extra cards can be converted into credits which you can use to buy specific cards you want.

ZaggonSP said:
Magic: The Gathering Arena do the same, and it's the greatest clients to play the card game. Give it a chance bro, that's not a real problem

How can you not view that change as HUGE step backwards. The game play experience is an important part of the fun in playing the game online. Just because other games online like Magic use an inferior player interface that does not mean that Pokemon should follow suit.

It looks like you have two active pokemon and you are attacking one of them with the other. Right now we have a proper user interface that closely mirrors the experience of playing an actual game in real life.

The new game should not have an inferior gameplay experience to the version we are using now. It is just lazy programming that the are using,.. makes me wonder where else they cut corners on this new game version.

Just because other games online like Magic use an inferior player interface that does not mean that Pokemon should follow suit.
Man, if you think MTGA has an inferior player interface so I have no more arguments. Honestly, i can't understand it.

It is just lazy programming that the are using
Lazy programming since 2011, Dire Wolf Digital knows a lot about it.

ZaggonSP said:
Magic: The Gathering Arena do the same, and it's the greatest clients to play the card game. Give it a chance bro, that's not a real problem

How can you not view that change as HUGE step backwards. The game play experience is an important part of the fun in playing the game online. Just because other games online like Magic use an inferior player interface that does not mean that Pokemon should follow suit.

It looks like you have two active pokemon and you are attacking one of them with the other. Right now we have a proper user interface that closely mirrors the experience of playing an actual game in real life.

The new game should not have an inferior gameplay experience to the version we are using now. It is just lazy programming that the are using,.. makes me wonder where else they cut corners on this new game version.
Imagine getting so worked up over cards being rotated 180 degrees that you forget how to quote.

In Master Duel, you basically get enough for one deck if you don't waste anything, and after that you're screwed. It's not that much better in other games. It'll always be a grind. TPCi sees this more as an ad for the TCG than as a standalone game, so this is what we get. It's not made for what you're looking for, I'm afraid. The existence of a pass should make it better than PTCGO though, as well as the fact that the store has promos and such, and there only being one currency for dusting.
Fair. I'm just hoping that for a system streamlined enough so that I don't even have to buy pack codes unless I really need to. Even 10 cents per code is a bit pricey for myself as a citizen of a less-than-stellar economy country. I'd rather go straight and buy physical cards if that's the case.

Do we know if the transfered cards will be decraftable ? Or will they be locked and only usable in decks ?

Do we know if the transfered cards will be decraftable ? Or will they be locked and only usable in decks ?
We currently don't even know if we can dust any card we want or only copies beyond the maximum playable in a deck.

Back