PT-on 30 Card - Professor Cup 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApachePrime

Aspiring Trainer
So it was announced that the professor cup at will be a modified legal Platinum on, 30-card format.

This means 2 copies of each card in a PT-on format. The format extends to all sets released come Nationals, so our HGSS2 set will be out by then. This also means it may be the introduction of a new format! :D This idea excites me quite a bit, I've loved thirty card format for quite a while.

What do you guys think of this format? What would be playable? What would be GOOD?

My first idea was to go with Ursaring Prime, but I don't know how well it would work. Crobat Prime seems like quite a contender in a format with no unown G. However, Toxitank shines quite well also.

To say the least, I'm very excited for the Cup, and would love to see some support rallied for the format as a whole.

Soul

Urusai Urusai Urusai
Typhlosion/Charizard with a bunch Switches because it has the only good draw support: Ninetales.

ApachePrime

Aspiring Trainer
Soul Seeker said:
Typhlosion/Charizard with a bunch Switches because it has the only good draw support: Ninetales.

With Copycat and Prof. Oak's card, I'm not sure this will be that big of an issue. Cyrus also helps. Quite a few great supporter cards.

Tristan

Back for a little bit
Do you know when the tourny is?

ANd a deck that somes to mind is a SP of some kind
That is about the only thing that will work with VS seekers

T

Soariyant

Team Typhoon is the Midwest
what does that mean? a 30-card format? 2 types of each card? you mean there can only be two of one card in every deck?

ApachePrime

Aspiring Trainer
The prof. cup is at Nats.

ALso a 30 card deck can only have 2 copies of each card, excluding basic NRG.

I've been thinking SP's, although I didn't think of VS seeker.

8 Pokes
1 Toxicroak G PT
1 Toxicroak G PR
2 Skuntank G PT
1-1 Luxray GL X RR
1-1 Garchomp C X SV

7 NRG
2 Call
2 DCE
2 Psychic
1 Lightning

15 TSS
2 NRG Gain
2 Cyrus
2 VS Seeker
2 Poketurn
2 Pokeradar
2 PONT
2 NRG Search
1 NM

ApachePrime

Aspiring Trainer
my58vw said:
PT on according to the first post means no call energy, and possibly no NM.

Oh wow. I didn't realize. Thanks for pointing that out. Here's an update on MY idea then. Anyone else have any ideas? I also need some stadiums to make that Tank worthwhile.

8 Pokes
1 Toxicroak G PT
1 Toxicroak G PR
2 Skuntank G PT
1-1 Luxray GL X RR
1-1 Garchomp C X SV

6 NRG
2 DCE
2 Psychic
2 Lightning

16 TSS
2 NRG Gain
2 Cyrus
2 VS Seeker
2 Poketurn
2 Pokeradar
2 PONT
2 Galactic HQ
1 Aaron's
1 Pokemon Collector

Hypno68

Hypnotized!
When / Where

Thank you for the information!!!

My guess is that the tourney will be Thursday, June 24th...

And will be open to those of us who have earned 50 or more Professor Points.

Does that sound right?

ApachePrime

Aspiring Trainer
RE: When / Where

Hypno68 said:
Thank you for the information!!!

My guess is that the tourney will be Thursday, June 24th...

And will be open to those of us who have earned 50 or more Professor Points.

Does that sound right?

I'm not sure if it's 50 or 75, you'll need to check the Prof Forums for that, but everything else sounds right.

Hypno68

Hypnotized!
Cards that I think will see play ---

SPs - Could run rampant without Machamp to keep in check

Spiritomb - No trainers! Ha, take that!

Double Colorless Energy - Fantastic!

--- I wonder if an Arceus deck could be competitive... with its specialized trainers and DCE, it seems like it could be viable ---

I'm excited... this will be my first Professor's Cup.

CAN ANYONE SUBSTANTIATE A RUMOR?
I heard that kids get to act as judges for the Professor's Cup. Is there any truth
to this? If so, is there a published set of requirements for "the kid" to judge? And... how does "the kid" volunteer?

HenryP

T16 Worlds 2012
@Hypno68 Juniors judge the professor cup. They are selected by aplication by parents(who Are professors) Do you know the duLaurds from Columbus? They're kids judged the professor cup lat year.

CFOURCOLTSFAN

Aspiring Trainer
I think Flygon/Palkia/Spiritomb could be good, IDK really know though. I would try that SP thing you had, that's what I would've made.

Silverwarrior

South-East Beasts
I didn't know there was an age requirment to be a Professor. I was thinking Dialga and Garchomp would still run very well since you can snipe 80 across the board and Dialga can trainer lock.

BlazeTK

Fang x Joker
Man, Ive only got like 25 points right now. Hopefully my league will get set up this week!

ApachePrime

Aspiring Trainer
BlazeTK said:
Man, Ive only got like 25 points right now. Hopefully my league will get set up this week!

There is a deadline you need to earn the points by. It would be a good idea for you to check before you have any expectations.

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I don't have the issue of points since I run a league. I believe the web team was working on the league things so Apps for leagues will be dealt with when they are finished. Try and judge a bunch of the prereleases. That is a fast way to get points and possibly judge at States and Regionals if your PTO will let you. I am jduging at States since I know many of the other Professors in my state would rather play at that; same goes for Regionals. Do your best to get in as many points as you can. I do expect a lot of SP to be played, but the restriction of two per card will hurt SP as will not being able to use Call Energy. It will be ahrder to come up with a draw engine that is constant without having access to Claydol or Uxie. Trainers and supporters are going to be the big key here. Stage two decks would be very hard to play, but could be powerful if they pull it off. Donphan Prime also has great potential. It is very fast from the list I came up with for the cup. I just need to get some playtesting done. Arceus might be playable since it is unaffected by the two per card rule, but I doubt it will be common to use.~Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.