Project Custom 3-Pokebeach Site (Approved by PMJ)

lilsparks101 said:
@ James, seriously next time you judge you shouldn't make it look like your favoring people. I've gotten quite a few comments about your scoring, so just giving a heads up. I'm sure thats only because you say "fan" a lot, and that you said more or less to certain people (again just saying what they tell me).

just telling you what other people told me. I honestly I think you did a very good job, very nice insight.

His scores were very close to mine, oddly enough, and I agree that he does favor some over others, but that is to be expected as he has his own likes and dislikes, so naturally he will like some styles and he wont others.....thats why we dont just have one judge, it keeps everything balanced and fair, so there will be no controversy about scoring/judging.

Prime said:
I think that is why I didn't include scores on my reviews. I reviewed them to offer ideas and/or suggest ways the graphics could be improved. Rating everything on a number basis doesn't help this goal and often tends to upset others and cause them to totally miss the good comments you can make.

It'd be great if some of the more talented artists on this forum could take some time of their day and maybe write a tutorial or two that others could follow to come up with some decent effects.

You know, you have been well...."butting in" quite a bit in the past few days.....I dont mean to seem rude, but I hardly think it is your place to critique the pieces submitted in this competition. We have three talented, proven judges who are no strangers to the art sections here on Pokebeach.....however, I have not seen any of your artwork, or heard anything of your art knowledge at all in the three years I've been on these forums. Like I said before, I do not mean to offend you in any way, or imply that I do not value the opinions of others, but I think you are going in a bit too deep for someone who nobody knows much about.....I think that PC3 will be quite alright with the comments and insight our judges, that were picked based on their ability to judge the arts submitted, can handle the task of helping these artists learn, grow, and thrive in our prestigious art competition.

On a new note, PMJ's scores should be coming soon, which means we're almost past this speed bump in the long road which is PC3. I wish James wouldn't have split up his judging (If you do it, James, try to do it all...its not going to help much with half, that could actually complicate things a bit here.) but if he does not judge tomorrow then I will get a backup judge to fill in for the good of continuing the competition. I hope the result is a quick, yet valuable, first challenge and we can move on from this and get some more art going!

If anyone has any questions or concerns about the next few events going on in PC3, please feel free to send a PM or IM to me =]

Thank you,
-Black Rayquaza

Prime - Although your critiques/comments are welcomed, I think you're going a bit too far and acting as if you are a judge. The judges we have are good enough for this competition. Thing is, I don't think none of us have seen you around here before, and we haven't seen any art from you, so it doesn't really make sense to take advice from somebody of whom we do not know their art skills. Comments are welcomed, but please leave the critiques to the judges.

Muddy68: Isn't this the 2nd time you asked? BR said he would announce the next challenge once the other judges submit their score (whenever that is). Please be patient. Thanks

If you look closely, you can see the white border around your banner. Meaning you didn't crop it right lol. Which means, the actual size of the canvas, is bigger then the banner itself.

George2FRESH said:
Prime - Although your critiques/comments are welcomed, I think you're going a bit too far and acting as if you are a judge. The judges we have are good enough for this competition. Thing is, I don't think none of us have seen you around here before, and we haven't seen any art from you, so it doesn't really make sense to take advice from somebody of whom we do not know their art skills. Comments are welcomed, but please leave the critiques to the judges.

Muddy68: Isn't this the 2nd time you asked? BR said he would announce the next challenge once the other judges submit their score (whenever that is). Please be patient. Thanks

Thank you for saying exactly what I just said xD Seriously, thats a big pet peeve of mine.....things shouldn't need to be said twice.

-Black Rayquaza

George2FRESH said:
If you look closely, you can see the white border around your banner. Meaning you didn't crop it right lol. Which means, the actual size of the canvas, is bigger then the banner itself.
Im not trying to be a pain in the butt, it will help in later makings :D
Is this it?
[attachment=4430]

Attachments

• is this it.png
    is this it.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 19
Someone call for some PIMPIN' SCORES? WELL HERE YOU GO. Sorry they be's late.

Banners:

Prof. Shinx:

Style: 18/20
Originality and use of color: 17/20 Pretty basic, for spooky. To me it appears as though Murkrow is shouting, "Boo!" I like the feathers.
Relation to the Challenge: 20/20 I still don't see how this could be any less.
General Effects: 18/20 I like the feathers on the side, but it adds a bit of unnecessary height to the image.
Effort: 8/10
Overall: 7/10
Total: 88/100

Charizard88:

Style: 13/20 The text goes just a bit too fast for my liking, and the word "shiny" before "Duskull" should not be capitalized. Also, there's not a lot to look at. It's boring.
Originality and use of color: 15/20 *yawn*
Relation to the Challenge: 10/20 I don't believe this is very mysterious.
General Effects: 13/20 The white text is a bother, there are other colors that can be easily read on dark background
Effort: 6/10
Total: 64/100

Xous:

Style: 19/20 The only thing I dislike is the text
Originality and use of color: 19/20 Again. text is the only thing bad
Relation to the Challenge: 20/20
General Effects: 20/20 ORIGINAL ARTWORK IS WIN
Effort: 10/10
Overall: 10/10
Total: 98/100

George2FRESH:

Style: 19/20 The only thing I dislike is the text
Originality and use of color: 18/20 See above
Relation to the Challenge: 20/20
General Effects: 19/20
Effort: 9/10
Overall: 9/10
Total: 94/100

frozengallade:

Style: 16/20 Absol picture fail, but a billion bonus points for purpleeeeeeeee
Originality and use of color: 15/20 Cool I guess but Absol is defined as anything but beautiful. Also text obstruction ftl
Relation to the Challenge: 5/20 This does not relate to the challenge at all. It is not mysterious. Seeing this does not make me think it is a mysterious banner. You get points for using a Dark-type, that's about it.
General Effects: 10/20 The text is obstructed. Cool-looking brushy things, plus purple which looks SWEET, but then it looks like you took it into Paint and bordered it with spray can. GROSS. Extraneous exclamation points make you sound like an idiot. One or none, my teacher used to say.
Effort: 8/10 took some effort
Overall: 6/10
Total: 60/100

lilsparks101:

Style: 19/20 Sweet. I like the font, and the text color fits in with the background without being impossible to read, but "Do I haunt your dreams?" sounds so boring and cliche to me it just kills the whole piece. Everything else looks sweet though.
Originality and use of color: 20/20 The Dusknoir is awkwardly colored. It's not shiny, but... it appears as if it is being illuminated by some otherworldly light. Don't look behind you...
Relation to the Challenge: 20/20 spot on, yo
General Effects: 19/20 It's a great little banner. I don't know anything B-Ray is talking about opacity so listen to him. I like this... just not what the text says.
Total: 96/100

.::n00bmuffin::.

Style: 15/20 SO MANY COLORS X( Also I didn't even see the text at first. It's a bit hard to read.
Originality and use of color: 12/20 Ehhhhhhhhhhh didn't like this. Mewtwo LV.X and Dusknoir LV.X and what else? Like nothing.
Relation to the Challenge: 17/20 ...I guess
General Effects: 15/20 Yeah. don't like this
Overall: 8/10
Total: 75/100

BANNER SCORES

Xous - 98
lilsparks101 - 96
George2FRESH - 94
Prof. Shinx - 88
.::n00bmuffin::. - 75
Charizard88 - 64
frozengallade - 60

TEH FIX SKORZ

Piplup321

Originality: 17/20 I'm predicting the rest of these will be "bad trainers, let's revolt" kind of thing....
Relation to the Theme/Prompt: 20/20 Followed directionz.
Diction and Tone: 20/20 Looks good.
Attention to Detail: 16/20 Grammar errors. Also, why didn't that man simply forcibly recall his Gardevoir rather than asking it to follow him? He knows how powerful Gardevoir is; why give him a chance to rebel?
Total: 88/100

Pokémaniac

Originality: 17/20 Not bad, not bad. Nicely written.
Relation to the Theme/Prompt: 20/20
Diction and Tone: 20/20 Good work.
Attention to Detail: 19/20 "Immortality" is not the word you're looking for (when Hitmonlee is pondering his actions).
Total: 94/100

Xous

Originality: 20/20 I'd say a decree from the king is a welcome break from "omg our trainers are bad people let's get revenge." Should have known you'd incorporate Arceus into your submission :p
Relation to the Theme/Prompt: 20/20 I disagree with B-Ray's assessment. Arceus calling back the troops against the humans' wishes sounds like a revolt to me.
Diction and Tone: 20/20
Attention to Detail: 16/20 Your fic suffers from the disease known as "Someone's not aware that each time someone different speaks, it goes on a new line" syndrome. Symptoms include not putting each newly spoken line of dialogue on a new line. It also has the "HUGE BLOCK OF TEXT" disease. Signs of this include GIANT WALLS OF TEXT that give the reader a tl;dr feeling. Other than that, top notch stuff.
Effort: 10/10
Overall: 10/10
Total: 96/100

Psychic Whisperer

Originality: 20/20 The premise is a good one. Lone kid has the power to stop the revolt, but will the Pokemon let him live to tell the tale? woooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooo
Relation to the Theme/Prompt: 18/20 This barely scratched the surface of the theme, but it's there, so yeah.
Diction and Tone: 18/20
Attention to Detail: 9/20 Spelling and grammar errors... same dialogue errors I saw in Xous's entry; each new speaking role must be on a new line. Also, explaining that we've come back to the beginning of the fic is redundant; we as the readers know this already. Also, the ending is probably the most random, least thought-out ending I have ever read. That REALLY killed it.
Effort: 6/10
Total: 77/100

muddy68

Originality: 17/20
Relation to the Theme/Prompt: 15/20 Yeah it fits the theme but there's no reason. This is all just mindless slaughter.
Diction and Tone: 17/20
Attention to Detail: 16/20 Grammar errors. Surprisingly, this entry has dialogue written correctly, although you are missing a " somewhere.
Effort: 7/10
Total: 78/100

TOTALS FOR FIC SCORES

Xous - 96
Pokémaniac - 94
Piplup321 - 88
muddy68 - 78
Psychic Whisperer - 77

Black Rayquaza said:
Thank you for saying exactly what I just said xD Seriously, thats a big pet peeve of mine...things shouldn't need to be said twice.

-Black Rayquaza

Chill out, didn't see your post, only Primes.

I thought the contest was over. If the contest was over, nobody would mind me posting my fun reviews of the entries.

Black Rayquaza & George2Fresh - I apologize if I stepped over my bounds when I posted my thoughts on the entries. I didn't mean to stur up anything or cause any problems. I don't see what my experience with graphic design has to do with my reviews. If my reviews offer up suggestions that you disagree with, feel free to post your disagreeing views. If my reviews bring up valid points, it should not matter if I am regular or not. Like I said earlier, I only posted to help point out the areas I feel the entries could be worked upon and give suggestions on how they could be better. Competitions like these are there for people to learn and if they can learn anything from others posting their views and thoughts on the entries, then why push those views away?

Prof. Shinx said:
George2FRESH said:
Im not trying to be a pain in the butt, it will help in later makings :D
Is this it?
I really can't explain this to you clearly but I'm sure they're talking about transparency.

I want to feel the "real heat of Project Custom". I have seen beautiful pieces, but with negative comments on every each. Anyhow, I wish the participants good luck on their future challenges ^^

Pimpwalkin said:
Xous

Originality: 20/20 I'd say a decree from the king is a welcome break from "omg our trainers are bad people let's get revenge." Should have known you'd incorporate Arceus into your submission :p

xD Of course I was going to bring good ol' Arceus into it.

Pimpwalkin said:
TOTALS FOR FIC SCORES

Xous - 96
Pokémaniac - 94
Piplup321 - 88
muddy68 - 78
Psychic Whisperer - 77

Third again. :F
Not too bad, not too good. Hopefully I'll be able to step it up a bit in the next challenge.

Now we wait for James' fic scores. =P

Black Rayquaza said:
If you do it, James, try to do it all...its not going to help much with half, that could actually complicate things a bit here.

Well, sorry about that, it's just I couldn't finish the whole go last night...! :p have no fears, here are my remaining judgings!

PS:

I actually DO favor ARTWORK. I never favor people, just their creations. I also indicated what I didn't like at other pieces, and it has nothing to do with the people making them, just my taste towards them.

Whenever I myself create art, I also keep in mind some will like it, and others won't. And I also said ''fan'' in some reviews because I'm actually a real fan of those art styles. The STYLES, not the persons.

Alas, I take no offence in what you said, and it indeed is true, but please not I base it on the art I like and not the person who made it, thank you! :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Fanfic Ratings

Piplup321 - Justice
- Originality: 18/20, I liked the story, and found it very original! I suppose you used other sources to draw inspiration from, but don't we all do that? :) Good job there!

- Relation to the Theme/Prompt: 17/20, As said before, it was a nice fic to read, and it was nicely fitting with the theme.

- Diction and Tone: 19/20, I personally felt that it was pleasant to read, and you had decent to good descriptions in your story, so that gives you some extra points! ;)

- Attention to Detail: 18/20, just as Black Rayquaza said, it bothered me a little you didn't mention the gender of the nidoran, but otherwise you're safe from me! ;)

- Effort: 10/10, I think you put in a lot of effort to write this, so kudos for that!

- Overall: 8/10, I liked the story, it had nice writing in it, and it had great scenes in it! Keep it up!

Total: 90/100 (+2 = 92)

Pokémaniac
- Originality: 18/20, It was a nice idea to use a revolt with all those pokémon in your story, and I liked that!

- Relation to the Theme/Prompt: 18/20, It was nicely related to the theme given, and pleasant to read.

- Diction and Tone: 15/20, It was decent enough for me, but you might want to look better at it next time! ;)

- Attention to Detail: 19/20, It was very detailed, and that's what I like at fanfics(because of earlier ''problems'' I won't say ''fan'' anymore, but this is what I like, yes!)! Keep this up! It also granted you some extra points by the way. :p

- Effort: 10/10, with all the details and the plot going on, I think this took quite a while to come up with, and of course, to execute...!

- Overall: 7/10, I liked the story as a whole, and that's enough said! ;)

Total: 87/100 (+2 = 89)

Xous
- Originality: 19/20, Nothings perfect, but yours is quite close! It was VERY original, and fascinating to read!

- Relation to the Theme/Prompt: 16/20, This is where you lose some points... It was a nice story, but the revolt was ''limited'' in my opinion... Too bad, but hey, it was a nice story!

- Diction and Tone: 20/20, Remember how I keep saying nothing's perfect...? Your grammar is though!

- Attention to Detail: 19/20, VERY detailed and descriptive, it wasn't hard to imagine the scenes while reading it! I simply LOVE fics with lots of details, so keep this up! :D

- Effort: 10/10, This should be put in the writing corner and extended, seeing how much effort this must have took from you! I can't say ''fan'' anymore, so let's just say I liked it! ;)

- Overall: 9/10, THIS is why I read fanfics. The fic's not perfect, but its getting pretty close!

Total: 93/100 (+2 = 95)

Psychic Whisperer
- Originality: 17/20, The experimental nature of this story really appealed me, and without doubt, it was VERY original!

- Relation to the Theme/Prompt: 17/20, That was a decent revolt, but personally I think it could have been ''bigger''.

- Diction and Tone: 16/20, It was decent, but it could use some work. No big changes though, but a little more excersize could work! ;)

- Attention to Detail: 18/20, It had some nice details in it, just be careful you don't ''skip'' certain parts of the story, or explain some a little more. Other than that, great!

- Effort: 8/10, I think it took you some effort to make the idea and story, but overall I have a feeling you could somehow have done a little better...?

- Overall: 9/10, it had a great idea for the basics and a nice plot to go with, as well as some unique effects, so overall I liked it!

Total: 85/100 (+2 = 87)

muddy68 - The Anti-Pokemon
- Originality: 18/20, I have mixed feelings about this... At first you used an already excisting place for your story to take place in, but other than that it was quite original! So overall, I think you did a good job with this!

- Relation to the Theme/Prompt: 18/20, it features a revolt, and I think it fits nicely.

- Diction and Tone: 10/20, this I found quite disturbing... To me, it wasn't all that pleasant to read due to some grammar problems... Costs you some points, so maybe you should work on that! ;)

- Attention to Detail: 12/20, I found the story a little lacking of details, and when I judge, that costs you. It wasn't all bad, but I'd personally add more in it! ;)

- Effort: 6/10, you took some effort, but some aspects of the fic could use some serious work if you ask me(details and grammar being the main two).

- Overall: 8/10, despite some small problems here, I liked the idea and the story as a whole, so good job!

Total: 72/100

------------------------------------------------------------------------

James' Scoreboard:

1st: Xous - 93/95
2nd: Piplup321 - 90/92
3rd: Pokémaniac - 87/89
4th: Psychic Whisperer - 85/87
5th: muddy68 - 72

Good job everybody!

Prime said:
I thought the contest was over. If the contest was over, nobody would mind me posting my fun reviews of the entries.

Black Rayquaza & George2Fresh - I apologize if I stepped over my bounds when I posted my thoughts on the entries. I didn't mean to stur up anything or cause any problems. I don't see what my experience with graphic design has to do with my reviews. If my reviews offer up suggestions that you disagree with, feel free to post your disagreeing views. If my reviews bring up valid points, it should not matter if I am regular or not. Like I said earlier, I only posted to help point out the areas I feel the entries could be worked upon and give suggestions on how they could be better. Competitions like these are there for people to learn and if they can learn anything from others posting their views and thoughts on the entries, then why push those views away?

Well, reading the first post helps. I was VERY specific on dates and how long tournaments would be. This is barely scratching the surface of PC3 what we just did here.

Experience is everything with this....you learn what works and what dosent and how to fix the common problems artists tend to run into...I didn't see anyone who was too enthused in your opinions, I think most of them (like me) got pretty annoyed and aggravated. I dont want to get into a fight with you....that is the last thing we need going on in this competition. Your reviews were not requested nor needed and lets leave it at that, no matter how "valid or suggesting" they are. This is a competition with judges and participants not a free for all art thread and it's my job to keep it that way.

Anywho, thanks for James for finishing up the scoring! Averages will be posted within the hour.

Thank you for your patience,
-Black Rayquaza

James said:
1st: Xous - 93/95
2nd: Piplup321 - 90/92
3rd: Pokémaniac - 87/89
4th: Psychic Whisperer - 85/87
5th: muddy68 - 72

Good job everybody!

Yay! I came second. =P
I'm guessing I'll come third overall, but I'm still pleased with my score. =D
Once you finish finding the averages of our scores, do we get to find out the next challenge?

Can't wait for the averages and next challenges to be announced. :D

Okay, again sorry for the wait on these (went out to dinner and to scope out Christmas shopping xD) but I have them now done. Remember that the +2 will only count on the scores I give since I give the feedback. All averages are rounded to the nearest tenth, which will be done with all PC3 Averages. Please remember that this is only Challenge #1 Averages. At the end of the three challenges, I will take the three averages from each challenge and make a Total Tournament Average. That will determine the winner, so please dont get down about one challenge since there is much time to make up points =]

PC3 Custom Banner Tournament-Challenge #1 Final Averages
This chart will go as follows:
Competitors-B-Ray's Score-James' Score-PMJ's Score-Final Total-Final Average
1.Xous-94+92+98=284/3=94.7
2.lilsparks101-90.5+87+96=273.5/3=91.2
3.George2FRESH-89.5+87+94=270.5/3=90.2
4.Prof. Shinx-76.5+78+88=242.5/3=80.8
5.Noobmuffin-87+63+75=225/3=75
6.Charizard88-77+58+64=199/3=66.3
7.frozengallade-66+72+60=198/3=66

PC3 Custom Banner Tournament-Challenge #1 Final Averages
This chart will go as follows:
Competitors-B-Ray's Score-James' Score-PMJ's Score-Final Total-Final Average
1.Xous-98+93+96=287/3=95.7
2.Pokémaniac-94.5+87+94=275.5/3=91.8
3.Piplup321-90+90+88=268/3=89.3
4.Psychic Whisperer-90+85+77=252/3=84
5.muddy68-79+72+78=229/3=76.3

So there you go.....as you can see, Xous is taking control so far, but dont let that get you down, we still have two more challenges to go!

Speaking of challenges, lets move on, shall we?

Tournament #1-PC3 Custom Banner Challenge (PokeBeach Site)

Challenge #2: Create a Custom Banner that highlights a region of your choice. It must only include pokemon and trainers from that region and give a good idea of what that region is about. Remember the regions are as follows:
Kanto-Red, Blue, Yellow, Fire Red, Leaf Green Versions
Jhoto-Gold, Silver, Crystal Versions
Hoenn-Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald Versions
Sinnoh-Diamond, Pearl, Platinum Versions

Due Date: Friday November 21st 2008 10 PM EST.
Incentive Date: Tuesday November 18th 2008 10 PM EST.

Tournament #2-PC3 Fanfic Challenge (PokeBeach Site)

Challenge #2: Write a fanfic focusing around a trainer going through a Region of your choice. They must include only pokemon from that region's pokédex (Not National) and include At LEAST 4 Characters from the storyline of that region. (Gym Leaders, Rivals, Teams, etc.)
Remember the regions are as follows:
Kanto-Red, Blue, Yellow, Fire Red, Leaf Green Versions
Jhoto-Gold, Silver, Crystal Versions
Hoenn-Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald Versions
Sinnoh-Diamond, Pearl, Platinum Versions

Due Date: Friday November 21st 2008 10 PM EST.
Incentive Date: Tuesday November 18th 2008 10 PM EST.

So there we go....a sort of "Region Week" for PC3 on the Beach.....I hope to see some awesome stuff!

Thanks, and Get Started!
-Black Rayquaza

Back