Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright

don()shinobi

PokeBeach's Yu-Gi-Oh enthusiast. I guess.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilj_MFj1tvk

At last, a crossover of epic proportions has finally come. Level-5 and Capcom are teaming up to deliver a crossover featuring Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton. This game, appropriately titled Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright (or Gyakuten Saiban for those who care), will be released for the 3DS sometime in the future. A release date has not been confirmed, but one thing is; this is gonna be the best freaking game ever.

Got this from one of my DA watches.

One of our members, ~AdamMalkovich made it clear to us admins that the upcoming game, "Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney" will be getting a Japan-only release. We did a bit of research, and it turns out that this claim has a lot of truth. In fact, Capcom (the creators/publishers of the game) have set up a blog detailing this little piece of info.

Here's the link. Seems sadly pretty credible as it's on Capcom's page. :<

...darn. From what I read, Capcom is currently getting opinions from people whether to release it outside of Japan or not.

Oh well...if what you said is true, there's always fan translations.

This is the stupidest thing I've seen since Pokemon 4Ever. Crossing those two characters together does a disservice to them both.
Phoenix Wright has his own little niche; let it stay that way. As for Layton, I've never played that series, nor do I intend to because it looks rather silly to me.

i dont understand u ppl at all

Oh DNA, don't be such a premature hater. Bashing Layton (and indirectly all games and characters involved) while openly admitting to have never playing a single Layton game, and who said this would bring Phoenix out of 'his little niche'? And how can you declare this a disservice to both characters if you don't even know one of them ._.

I mean, your opinions are your opinions, and that's all fine and dandy, but if you must hate and give reason, at least give valid reason :s

Anyhow, I love the idea myself. There seems to be almost unanimous English support for this since its announcement across the Interwebz, so maybe we can make enough noise to get their attention for a Western release.

This looks epic. I love Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton. It looks like it will be a good crossover, and I just hope they don't end up messing it up. Also it looks like Layton is the smarter of the 2 :p.

Honestly I've haven't played any games form either series but that may change. Once this game is realeased who knows what the game play might be? All we saw with the trailer was a few cutscenes and no game play. I'd like their to be a Phoenix Wright story and a Professor Layton story for this game. That way you could see the stroy from both charatcers. I'd mostly likely would get this game if it came out in English and it might give a great reason to have their games in my collection.

And how can you declare this a disservice to both characters if you don't even know one of them ._.
Knowing and loving Phoenix Wright with a passion is enough reason, isn't it? I've only obtained my first Phoenix Wright game only 2 weeks ago, and already it's high on my favorites list (nd i wantz moar). Excuse me if my extreme newfound Phoenix Wright fanboyism is getting in the way, but I wouldn't want to see Phoenix Wright tarnished by mixing it with some other genre which is...what exactly? Puzzle solving? Courtroom thriller is enough for me, but if the developers do a good enough job of blending the two genres together, then so much the better.

I think the main reason I hate the trailer is that it's set much like an anime movie, which I really can't stand. (Anime and I seem to be at eternal odds with one another.) Even so, Layton's face and expressions look almost surreal and childish when you compare his face to that of Phoenix Wright (night and day, really).

I mean, your opinions are your opinions, and that's all fine and dandy, but if you must hate and give reason, at least give valid reason :s
I just don't want everyone to be saying 'omg this game will be so totally awesome and the best game ever made' after only seeing one trailer. That would be a premature value judgment. Then again, so is mine, but my dislike is mostly directed at the trailer itself. ('sides, Golden Sun will forever remain my all-time favorite.)

Anyhow, I love the idea myself. There seems to be almost unanimous English support for this since its announcement across the Interwebz, so maybe we can make enough noise to get their attention for a Western release.
You mean like Mother 3? Yes it may sound like a cheap shot, but I'm being quite serious.

DNA said:
Excuse me if my extreme newfound Phoenix Wright fanboyism is getting in the way, but I wouldn't want to see Phoenix Wright tarnished by mixing it with some other genre which is...what exactly? Puzzle solving? Courtroom thriller is enough for me, but if the developers do a good enough job of blending the two genres together, then so much the better.
Yup, it's puzzle solving, but it's also more than that. You've not played one yet, so I understand your hesitance, but like PW, the Professor Layton games revolve mostly around story and characters, just with well-placed puzzles (more specifically, clever and creative brainteasers) constituting the gameplay. With PW, you're talking story (courtroom thriller), but with Layton, you only mentioned gameplay, so I'm not entirely sure that's fair to both when considering a crossover.

I'm not trying to be an opinion Nazi, really. Sorry if I'm seeming like it :p

DNA said:
I think the main reason I hate the trailer is that it's set much like an anime movie, which I really can't stand. (Anime and I seem to be at eternal odds with one another.) Even so, Layton's face and expressions look almost surreal and childish when you compare his face to that of Phoenix Wright (night and day, really).
Well there's something you'd like about Layton! I agree with you, the cutscenes in this trailer are heavy heavy on the anime. But in the normal Layton games, though most everything is drawn, very little is anime. Relating to what you said about Layton's odd expression compared to PW's, Layton games tend to mix a variety of art styles together with no warning. It seems odd at first, even in Layton's own games, having characters with elaborate eyes and then Layton with his black dots on the screen at the same time, but you get used to it very quickly. And not only with facial expressions, either; wheras PW characters are much more correctly proportioned, Layton characters tend to be more free and exaggerated. So sometimes you'll have a perfectly proportioned human one second, then someone with a monstous nose or some such the next. Like I said, it seems strange at first, but you really do get used to it quickly.

But that aside, you're definitely right that this is very anime-like. Layton has never been in this type of purely anime environment, so he'll definitely stand out in the game's world.

And you're definitely right about most of us making premature judgements about it being good, too ;p Still, both series have met with much personal and critical acclaim, so let's hope for the best.

You mean like Mother 3? Yes it may sound like a cheap shot, but I'm being quite serious.
Ahahaha, well played DNA :p

But in all seriousness, the events surrounding this game are much different than those surrounding the original release of Mother 3. I mean, you couldn't hardly blame them for keeping Mother 3 Japan only when it first came out, considering the state of Mother's popularity in the west. It wasn't until about two years later (2008) that the Western fanbase really started to flourish.

I'm not trying to be an opinion Nazi, really. Sorry if I'm seeming like it :p
nah, you balance the thread intelligence out, so it's all cool

I'm sure if I played some Layton games, then yes, I would get used to the style of gameplay; I just don't have any intention of getting any Layton games in the future yet. I usually like to stick with what I know works.

But in all honesty, crossover games are dangerous territory. You run the risk of mixing two characters together and either totally failing or succeeding greatly. You have to try and please the fans from both sides as well as draw new people in, and that's quite a risk. Even so, best of luck to this game...even though the trailer annoys me.
Ahahaha, well played DNA :p
I have other Mother 3-loving friends. It was the first thing that came to mind; I'm sorry =O

Wait, isn't Phoenix Wright a 21st century Attorney while Professor Layton lives around 17th/18th century England? I've never played either game, so I'm just curious on how this cross-over actually works.

PIME TARADOX?!

DNA, you just made a fatal contradiction in your statement. You claim to be a weeaboo, and yet you are saying that 'anime clashes with you'? The very definition of a weeaboo is someone that has become so infatuated with anime that they try to be Japanese when they clearly aren't, or consider themselves very strong fans of anime. TAKE THAT!

...in all seriousness, I've alwys kinda been a puzzle person for all of my life for the most part. (I could play Voltorb Flip for hours straighhhhhhht~<3) I've also become a PW fan over the last...year or so, since it was released for the Wii, and I thoroughly enjoyed the playing style. It's difficult to imagine at first HOW the two would collide, but there are some parts in the PW series where there are some puzzles to solve. (Specifically they were most present in PW1 Episode 5: Rise From the Ashes.) So long as both are balanced, and the entire mystery is kept somewhat (I use that term lightly!) difficult as it has been in past games, I don't think I'll have too many problems with the game.

If it ever does come over here, that is. I mean, sure, the blog IS for garnering support and the like, but I'd wait to cross the t's and dot the i's, if you know what I mean.

Wait, isn't Phoenix Wright a 21st century Attorney while Professor Layton lives around 17th/18th century England? I've never played either game, so I'm just curious on how this cross-over actually works.
Nope, Layton is modern day too.

Either way, the setting for this game is for whatever reason in a Mideval-ish time. I dunno if it's time travel, some kind of alternate universe that both get sucked into, or if the game will even try to explain it.

And DNA, I've actually never played Mother 3. Which is probably the reason why I remain optimistic about an English release (I honestly do believe it will happen if/when a Mother compilation trilogy is released in Japan) :p

And you're right about crossovers being dangerous territory. From what we've seen thus far, it seems like they're playing it smart - they've taken only the main two characters from each series and thrown them into an entirely new and unrelated setting. Hopefully that should keep this game from infringing on what's already been established by the two series.

Hmm. Sounds interesting enough. The Game play should be stellar for the 3DS, and the opening trailer looks gorgeous. I'll consider getting this one.

(Specifically they were most present in PW1 Episode 5: Rise From the Ashes.)
That case is harder than the first four cases in the game put together, times three. It was so annoying, and yet a bit fun as well. I think the main part I don't like about puzzles is the unnecessary wandering around the overworld.

DNA, you just made a fatal contradiction in your statement. You claim to be a weeaboo, and yet you are saying that 'anime clashes with you'? The very definition of a weeaboo is someone that has become so infatuated with anime that they try to be Japanese when they clearly aren't, or consider themselves very strong fans of anime. TAKE THAT!
OBJECTION!
/me slams his fist on the table
If you'll pay more attention to what I say, I never refer to myself as a weeaboo...only a semi-weeaboo! The only affinity I have for Japan and its culture is that I like the video games that they make and I can read katakana.
You should pay more attention to my testimony, Miss Hikara!

back on topic people

When I first saw the title I imagined a beat 'em up between the characters of the two series.

Disappointment was had.

Oh my gosh, this is going to be INCREDIBLE!!!!! I can't wait! I agree with Shadow lugia, I don't know how how they could be at tthe same time in the game. Mayby the time machine in unwound future goes berserk.:D I have beaten all the Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton games and this looks awsome.

Back