"Prof. it!":The Ultimate Pokemon TCG Show! Episode 53!

This debate has been run through over and over again, and I'm a little reluctant to start it - especially in a thread that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the topic. But here goes.

As far as Evolite goes, we can all agree that it makes the dragons and genies more broken than they already are. Will Evolite single-handedly ruin the format? No. But the dragons have already basically been dominating it - why give them even more power?

As far as Rocky Helmet goes, there's no reason not to run it alongside Evolite if Gothitelle scares you that much. HOWEVER, I'd like to point out that slapping a Rocky Helmet doesn't guarantee you can kill Gothitelle the next turn. You'll rarely ever get more than one out before they get Goth out and stop you from playing more. As the Goth player, I'll just stack energies onto my Goth until I have the OHKO (against Zekrom if they Bolt Strike it's just the base 3 energy and against Reshiram it's usually 4 because of Afterburner. If they don't use these attacks, there's no chance of the damage overwhelming me). I won't attack you while I build up. While doing this, I'll get a second Gothitelle on the bench. Then, my first Goth gets sacrificed, but I don't break the lock and you can't play Helmet again. Then I sweep. Actually a lot easier than it sounds.

However, Rocky Helmet does unarguably make Gothitelle weaker (although I'm not too sure how much play it will see). Gothitelle was one of the last viable decks that doesn't revolve around the big basics, which again proves my first point.

As far as Catcher goes, it's certainly better than the Reversal format. That was one of the worst this game has ever seen. However, deck lists are pretty blah now. Running a 1-0-1 line or something similar is way too vulnerable to Catcher, but there's no room for anything bigger than that. This hardly leaves any "outplay" room in decks without Vileplume. All the outplaying (crazy comeback wins) comes from trainers like Catcher and PlusPower, which you have to shuffle-draw into. And if you hit it, it was luck. Not skill. HS-BW wouldn't have been that bad if it wasn't for Junk Arm. Reversal isn't a very bad card for the game without Junk Arm. Catcher will remain a bad card for it even after Junk Arm is rotated.

Celebi23 said:
As far as Rocky Helmet goes, there's no reason not to run it alongside Evolite if Gothitelle scares you that much. HOWEVER, I'd like to point out that slapping a Rocky Helmet doesn't guarantee you can kill Gothitelle the next turn. You'll rarely ever get more than one out before they get Goth out and stop you from playing more. As the Goth player, I'll just stack energies onto my Goth until I have the OHKO (against Zekrom if they Bolt Strike it's just the base 3 energy and against Reshiram it's usually 4 because of Afterburner. If they don't use these attacks, there's no chance of the damage overwhelming me). I won't attack you while I build up. While doing this, I'll get a second Gothitelle on the bench. Then, my first Goth gets sacrificed, but I don't break the lock and you can't play Helmet again. Then I sweep. Actually a lot easier than it sounds.

However, Rocky Helmet does unarguably make Gothitelle weaker (although I'm not too sure how much play it will see). Gothitelle was one of the last viable decks that doesn't revolve around the big basics, which again proves my first point.

One problem with this. The lock. Unless you get a turn 1 or 2 Rocky Helmet, and with no drawpower throught Pokemon that is unlikely, after your first ko (which will be early on in the game, because ZPST is meant to be quick), they'll have a Gothitelle, and there's no much you or Rocky Helmet can do about it.

To add on to what you were saying, when playing Gothtelle, instead of drawing, then using Max Potion and Madkinises, I build up second Gothitelles, and even second Reuniclus because something can happen to make a Gothitelle get knocked out. Always do this if against Magnezone.

^I think you mis-understood my post... I was saying that Rocky Helmet can be played around by Gothitelle and I also pointed out it could be locked like you said. I said you wouldn't get more than 1 helmet out in a game.

Back