Discussion Primarina GX

Blakers

Holder of the Holy Diamond!
First, let me just say that it's been FOREVER since I played the TCG competitively. But when I saw what the Sun and Moon set was like, I thought it seemed like it could influence a more evolution-based format, which is definitely something I want to see. And I kinda want to build something with Primarina GX. At first, I was looking for ways to maximize its Bubble Beat attack, but realized that more often than not, you'd probably be settling for knockouts that would take two or three turns, given that there was no disruption. But I was persistent, and kept looking for ways to optimize that one attack, until a different idea came to mind.

The idea was this: Remember how Wailord EX had some success with its stall deck where you tried to deck out your opponent? What if you could try the same thing with Primarina? Boasting 250 HP, access to Rough Seas, Max Potion, and Switch can keep Primarina alive for quite a while. And if two Primarina are wounded, just slap a DCE on the active and Grand Echo to heal it all off. And if you want, you could even run Carbink to stall while you get a Primarina or two out. The only problem is you'd need a bit more Pokemon than desirable for a deck like this, and Rare Candy if you're looking for speed, but I think you could make it work with the right build. I may be mistaken on whether or not Primarina has more or less healing options though, so this may actually be a really bad idea. But whatever. Let me know if you think this has any potential! Feedback would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
It's not a bad idea at all. The main hurdle is going to be getting 1-2 of them set up quick enough. Rare Candy definitely helps but you still need to get all the pieces together to set up. With Wailord all you have to do is slap that big guy down and your good to go.

In a deck like this, Dragonair's Dragon Wish/Prayer is a great support pokemon move, if only to ensure a pseudo-Deluge effect, only that the effect applies to ALL energy types, not just water, so in expanded, you could add dragons and Double Dragon energy to boost primarina-GX's first attack, which is similar to Darkrai-EX's dark pulse, only w/ 10 less base damage(or one less damage counter) vs. 20 base damage from Dark Pulse (or two damage counters). In standard, you could add Rainbows too, as there's no stipulation saying that the increase only applies to basic waters... Likewise, it will be in competition w/ Darkrai-EX come street date, assuming the same applies to Darkrai-EX, Prayer support and all...

Last edited:
Let me know if you think this has any potential!

Wailord-EX, a 250 HP Basic Pokémon, is still legal for Standard play. It lacks a healing attack, but then again, Grand Echo GX is a one time deal. Everything has to be going well for you and poor for your opponent for you to have two Pokémon injured enough to use it... at least versus space that could go for additional healing. Double Colorless Energy leaves you vulnerable to Raticate (EVO) as well; the good news is even if you run four and all end up in the discard pile, that thing is falling short of a OHKO. The bad news is that if you're doing the typical stall/mill, it would have plenty of chances to keep swinging away until you run out of healing and it can get a 2HKO or 3HKO.

Some people are trying to bring back Wailord-EX, and it is difficult because damage output is so high. Unless you use Archie's Ace in the Hole to get Primarina-GX into play without Evolving, your opponent has a chance to start taking Prizes by taking out your lower Stages. This matters because part of how Wailord-EX works is by abusing N so that both players keep drawing through their respective decks. Once your opponent takes some Prizes, the normally useful act of shrinking his or her hand via N in the mid and late game backfire, instead helping them slow down deck consumption.

I am not saying it is hopeless, but I am saying that this seems more like a "fun deck" than a competitive one.

You could always pair Primarina GX with Glaceon EX and Regice AOR instead. They don't mind slower play and the biggest issue with that deck was their lack of damage, which Primarina GX solves with its scaling. Also, I really wouldn't do Wailord EX. Well... I suppose you could, but it seems better with something like Golduck BREAK, who can move Energy around.

-Asmer

I suppose you could, but it seems better with something like Golduck BREAK, who can move Energy around.

For the record, Wailord-EX decks don't run any Energy, or at least the ones which I have seen (both when they were competitive and the recent revival) and was trying to address. If Asmer is talking something different, cool, but as I wrote my previous post while kind of tired, I am worried the message was garbled. XD

For the record, Wailord-EX decks don't run any Energy, or at least the ones which I have seen (both when they were competitive and the recent revival) and was trying to address. If Asmer is talking something different, cool, but as I wrote my previous post while kind of tired, I am worried the message was garbled. XD
You're fine lol.
I had run across this... odd build in an article on here (one of the TCGPlayer thingies) in which a guy built a Wailord EX/Golduck BREAK/Swampert/More Things deck that made me scratch my head, but on paper looked really good. So, considering Wailord EX needs 5 Energy anyway, you can use that to scale Primarina with, which is pretty neat.

That said, normally Wailord EX is in stall decks, so they typically don't run Energy as you said. I just thought that was a unique idea that could work out.

-Asmer

Back