Preventing cards curling in a binder?

nvrBungeeJumped

I think I'm evil!
I find a lot of my holos/foils tend to curl a bit when I store them in a binder. Is there a method to storing them in ultra pro binder sheets so that this does not happen?

I normally store two cards back to back so that the front and back side of each page is filled. Does it help to put an extra card or two in each pocket or is that detrimental?

theducktamer

Tamer of all Ducks!
Holo cards curve with age. It's not damaging the card, so it's not anything to worry about. :) You'd have to keep your cards in the prefect atmospheric conditions to prevent curling, but I'm honestly not sure what that is. Mild temperature and slightly moist air maybe? Don't squeeze another card in there because that might cause some damage. I've heard of some tricks to reverse curling, so maybe someone can help you with that. But the cards would probably curl again. :/

nvrBungeeJumped

I think I'm evil!
holo/foils curl (aka taco) because they are a different material on one side which reacts to temperature/humidity differently than the other side of the card. The non holo version will be paper/cardboard and the holo side has a bit of metal (maybe it's metal? I dunno for sure but it makes sense) in it.

Some people will tell you the holo/foil side is heavier but that is not it. They're different materials so they have different expansion coefficients (I think that's the right word).

Mora

Don't Panic
I don't know much about cards curling, but low humidity is generally a factor in preservation.

MrSquarepants

Heavenly Illusion Star
The Dragon Selection ones warp (curling) pretty quick... must been the cold temperatures or something.

dark lord of the sith

the lord of all siths
all I do is use sleeves not the clear plastic ones the ones with the colour on the back on all my foil cards never had a problem with them curling

nvrBungeeJumped

I think I'm evil!
darth stack said:
all I do is use sleeves not the clear plastic ones the ones with the colour on the back on all my foil cards never had a problem with them curling

Do you have a link to those, or just the name of that brand of sleeve?

Gusto83

Aspiring Trainer
It's the glue that they use to bind the foil onto the card.

Here are the steps

~Goes through 8 different units (called a press)
~ Another single unit (press) with a cut out of the print/card is then "Stamped" or "glued" onto the print/card

Most common cards do not have a bend to it because it does not go through a 2nd press,wich stamps or glues.

Take your Holo/Revers cards out of binder. What you are dealing with is a heat/humidity problem.
The rings that are holding your cards in your binder are making them arch.And with the heat/humidity making the card soft. So when your cards cool off they then get a bend to them.

(7yr' Roll Tender)

theducktamer

Tamer of all Ducks!
Gusto83 said:
It's the glue that they use to bind the foil onto the card.

Here are the steps

~Goes through 8 different units (called a press)
~ Another single unit (press) with a cut out of the print/card is then "Stamped" or "glued" onto the print/card

Most common cards do not have a bend to it because it does not go through a 2nd press,wich stamps or glues.

Take your Holo/Revers cards out of binder. What you are dealing with is a heat/humidity problem.
The rings that are holding your cards in your binder are making them arch.And with the heat/humidity making the card soft. So when your cards cool off they then get a bend to them.

(7yr' Roll Tender)

My cards have curled when in top loaders, so I don't think it's the rings.

nvrBungeeJumped

I think I'm evil!
darth stack said:
you can easily find them on internet you would have seen them before just type in ultrapro sleeve or what ever brand you use.

I use the KMC perfect fit sleeves but they still taco ):

theducktamer

Tamer of all Ducks!
nvrBungeeJumped said:
darth stack said:
you can easily find them on internet you would have seen them before just type in ultrapro sleeve or what ever brand you use.

I use the KMC perfect fit sleeves but they still taco ):

Yeah mine do too. It's really nothing to worry about. ;)

NarcoticHobo

Aspiring Trainer
ThatPokemonCollector said:
I have never had cards curled, maybe my conditions are perfect.

My cards never curled at my old house, then I moved to a crappy apartment and the curling was extremely fast and noticeable. Now that I've moved to a new/nice condo the curling has stopped and some cards are reverting back.

I think it has to do with differences it atmosphere (first house was A/C controlled, second was furnace for entire building and often unbearable hot or cold with no recourse, third is A/C controlled and well insulated).

Gusto83

Aspiring Trainer
NarcoticHobo said:
I have never had cards curled, maybe my conditions are perfect.

My cards never curled at my old house, then I moved to a crappy apartment and the curling was extremely fast and noticeable. Now that I've moved to a new/nice condo the curling has stopped and some cards are reverting back.

I think it has to do with differences it atmosphere (first house was A/C controlled, second was furnace for entire building and often unbearable hot or cold with no recourse, third is A/C controlled and well insulated).

Are you bragging about the cards or the condo? kkkkkkkkk

TheTPCProductionz

Aspiring Trainer
Haha, well I have radiators for central heating, have had that in all my houses. Most houses in the UK, don't have A/C so that doesn't contribute. I keep them in binders in a wardrobe or box, they are perfect, it's usually room temperature all the time in my room.

Gusto83

Aspiring Trainer
Haha, well I have radiators for central heating, have had that in all my houses. Most houses in the UK, don't have A/C so that doesn't contribute. I keep them in binders in a wardrobe or box, they are perfect, it's usually room temperature all the time in my room.

When i lived in Bratislava,Slovakia for a year,i spent most of my time during the winter sipping on warm red-wine sitting on that radiator in my room.Good times,,,

dark lord of the sith

the lord of all siths
Gusto83 said:

When i lived in Bratislava,Slovakia for a year,i spent most of my time during the winter sipping on warm red-wine sitting on that radiator in my room.Good times,,,

Haha awesome I hope it was good drop of red wine