Event Preparing for Regionals - Help would be greatly appreciated!

AlphaVoxel

Definitely still in development...
Forum Mod
Hey PokeBeach!

So, this post is probably one of my first serious posts here on the forums, but for a very good reason. I have elected to go to SLC Regionals during the 2018 Season. However, I have run into a few problems:

1. This will be the first non-prerelease tournament I go to, and have a basic idea of what to expect.
2. I have an idea of what I will play, and that is not likely to be something Meta.
3. I am not sure whether or not I want to go for VGC or TCG, though I am leaning more heavily towards TCG.

Anyway, I am kind of looking for advice regarding regionals. I do have a deck in mind that I'd like to play, that being Lunala/Necrozma/Gardevoir, or possibly Leo/Bronzong.

So, here are a few things I would ask people to keep in mind:
1. I cannot, and likely will not, possess Leles any time in the foreseeable future. Also, for whatever reason, I am kind of against using Lele or other super expensive cards. I already possess 2 Jirachi, and believe those will be sufficient based on my play style.
2. I am well aware that the regionals I would like to go to is quite a while in the future, and I know that at least 3-4 sets will be released in that time period (Crimson Invasion, Shining Legends, and likely 1-2 USUM sets). I am also aware that the meta will likely change in the time until the event, though I am not overly worried about the Meta.

So, I will try to edit this and make it look a little nicer when I get home, but the general idea still stands. Any advice would be greatly appreciated (so long as it is meaningful an relevant).

Thanks,
-AV

Last edited:
I hate to be that guy, but if you're considering going to a high-level competitive tournament, you need to invest in 2-3 Tapu Lele GX. Unless you're playing Greninja there's just no way around it. Just being realistic.

As far as preparing for your first Regional, just keep an eye on what decks are performing at other Regionals and League Cups so you have an idea on what to prepare for.

alright so im going to go on the realistic route you my not want to hear. Its your first ever non prerelease tournament so go there with 0 expectations and just to have fun as it will be unlikely you will do well especially without a meta deck. it will be HUGE 600+ people all there to play pokemon. if you want to do well consider playing meta an play in some leauge cups to start to get the feel for what competitive tournaments are like.

Ok, so, upon looking into some things a little further, I am excited to say that SLC Regionals is Expanded, not Standard. Also, I have edited my previous post based on information received elsewhere, and from a few other PB members.

Well it definitely plays a bit more in your favor that it's Expanded because there's more competitive deck options that are a lot more cost efficient. I know there was a huge Expanded Regional this past weekend so I would start by looking at the top decks there.

Well it definitely plays a bit more in your favor that it's Expanded because there's more competitive deck options that are a lot more cost efficient. I know there was a huge Expanded Regional this past weekend so I would start by looking at the top decks there.
Alright, so I looked into things, and most of the decks were either Night March/Marsh, Volc, and Turbo Dark.

It’s in May. Meta might bring some new decks, but as for what’s effective now. They will more than likely still be effective in Utah.

NM and Darkrai are the two most consistent decks in Expanded. There’s a lot of tech room in Night March. Depending on what you do, it CAN be cost efficient. Big thing is if you decide to use Computer Search or Dowsing Machine.

Darkrai builds are more cut and dry, but no matter what you do, that deck is probably the most expensive non-Tropical Beach deck in Expanded.

You may not need Leles depending on your deck, but you WILL need an Ace Spec and there’s no way around it in a Regional setting. That I assure you. Some are cheaper than others. But it all depends on what you want to run and what’s Ace Specs typically go good with it.

Back